• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Cross tolerance between different benzo's? Anxiolytic vs hypnotic

Memantine

Bluelighter
I take 60mg Temazepam per week. Will I develop cross tolerance if I also take 1,5-2mg Alprazolam occasionally for social fobia?

Apparently they work on different GABA-A receptors: Temazepam being α1 and α3, Alprazolam being predominantly α2.

They are definitely cross tolerant, though to what degree I don't know. But I remember a friend found a bottle of the 30mg tabs and I dosed the equivalent to what I took in alprazolam and got equal, albeit different effects, taking any less would just get me well.

All benzos work on all regions of the benzo receptor, the difference is in magnitude. Zolpidem and family target the a1 subunit more exclusively than temazepam does. I've also read that the Z drugs tend to not lose their effect in combating insomnia as readily as benzodiazepines do, probably including temazepam. People say that temazepam does have anxiety-reducing effects. Activating the a3 subunit additionally has anxiety-reducing effects.

I think it's relevant for you to tell us how you break up your usage of temazepam throughout the week. Do you use 60mg all at once, as in once per week at 60mg? Also, when you say occasionally, do you mean you take alprazolam once a week, or perhaps twice a week? Regardless, that's a pretty high dose, especially if you don't take it daily. I personally steered away from alprazolam because it increased the frequency of my panic attacks. Are these things prescribed?

Yes they are prescribed. I take the Temazepam over the course of 1-2 days. Sometimes all at once but sometimes just for sleep, or both.

The alprazolam I take maby two times a month.