Creating a flexibility routine

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member
How do you guys do it?

Youtube, articles, trial and error, etc. ?? Do you think it’s worth it to seek professional help from a sports med person? To ensure I’m doing the exercises correctly and also just in picking out the most useful exercises for me.

Been having lots of tightness in the lower back and down through the hips and the inside of the quads. Other places too but that has been the most persistent pain. I know David goggins preaches the iliopsoas, perhaps it’s that. Feet are sometimes really tight after runs too

Any advice would be much appreciated

Still use the same routine i learned from dad as a kid - just rotate every joint starting from your eyeballs to your toes 😀

Still use the same routine i learned from dad as a kid - just rotate every joint starting from your eyeballs to your toes 😀
That can work wonders,

but I don’t think it’ll cut it lol

How do you guys do it?

Youtube, articles, trial and error, etc. ?? Do you think it’s worth it to seek professional help from a sports med person? To ensure I’m doing the exercises correctly and also just in picking out the most useful exercises for me.

Been having lots of tightness in the lower back and down through the hips and the inside of the quads. Other places too but that has been the most persistent pain. I know David goggins preaches the iliopsoas, perhaps it’s that. Feet are sometimes really tight after runs too

Any advice would be much appreciated
I don't do flexibility training anymore though I probably should. We did a "back scratch test" for class last week and I had a 23cm gap between my finger tips lmao.
When I did do flexibility training, I did basic beginner yoga routines that I found on YouTube. There was one girl who had a "yoga for weight lifters" or bodybuilders or something like that that did well for me as she structured the routine for people like us. It was very difficult but I felt it hit most spots I needed

Definitely start off with the beginner yoga routines. There’s nothing like a good sun salutation to stretch the lower back and hammies.

I’m sure you know this but always on the cool down, never before exercising.

I’d also add, the best money I ever spend in relation to my training is a good sports massage every 2 weeks. It’s sore as fuck but it is worth every penny. Oh also, I do the cryospa 4 times a week with infrared sauna the other days. I also think it’s money well spent.

I don't do flexibility training anymore though I probably should. We did a "back scratch test" for class last week and I had a 23cm gap between my finger tips lmao.
When I did do flexibility training, I did basic beginner yoga routines that I found on YouTube. There was one girl who had a "yoga for weight lifters" or bodybuilders or something like that that did well for me as she structured the routine for people like us. It was very difficult but I felt it hit most spots I needed
Yeah i found some “yoga for runners” and “mobility for runners” that I tried yesterday and felt really good after. Ofc it can be hard to know if you’re doing the exercise correctly when watching on a screen, but at least you can get the big picture

Definitely start off with the beginner yoga routines. There’s nothing like a good sun salutation to stretch the lower back and hammies.

I’d also add, the best money I ever spend in relation to my training is a good sports massage every 2 weeks. It’s sore as fuck but it is worth every penny. Oh also, I do the cryospa 4 times a week with infrared sauna the other days. I also think it’s money well spent.
I used to love the sauna, I went like 3 times a week. But now the one at the gym I work at has been closed since last March because of Covid :(

I’ll have to look into the massage. Right now my foam roller has been picking up the slack lol

Can't stress the "cool down" enough. Not only does one risk tears but it can lessen performance in weight training as well. Also can get a much better stretch too.

Can't stress the "cool down" enough. Not only does one risk tears but it can lessen performance in weight training as well. Also can get a much better stretch too.
What would you recommend for a warm up?

something more dynamic? Or just like start running really slow lol

Those both sound like excellent ideas, thanks!

Ive definitely been neglectful of flexibility stuff the past 1-2 yrs and I’m starting to feel it

it’s not the point of no return but I really gotta start nailing it down now if I wanna keep running

Always before I run, I do a good quick paced walk, then jog for about 400m then go into my paced run.
This has always worked best for me. I learned the hard way of what happens if I don't: nice mild quad tear and a limp that persisted for months