• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Coughing, clearing throat excessively after IV heroin.... ?

kapheen'

Bluelighter
I've been addicted to opiates for almost 20 years.
Initially it was pills, ranging from Percocets/Oxycontin to hydro-codone/morphone to morphone and methadone. Pretty much whatever I could get my hands on. Eventually I got my hands on heroin, MOA was insufflation for a couple years. Eventually graduating to intravenous injections. I toyed with IV cocaine for a number of years as well. I gave up on that after the entire left side of my body lost sensation (basically went numb) for 3-4 hours. Of course by the time I got to the hospital the effects were dwindling.
I've been on and off the entire time (usually using methadone or suboxone to maintain during my off periods). My longest clean time was roughly 2.5 years, which was spent in prison. It was a 4 year prison bid, which at the time my GF was smuggling drugs in to me on a weekly basis... until we got caught up and I ended up spending a year in the box, and then transferred to a facility much farther away (not that she would have continued to bring my drugs anyhow after getting caught).
So these passed almost 4 years since I was released from prison, I've been on suboxone. For whatever reason I usually relapse around the holidays (heroin). Recently, about 2-3 weeks ago I've been noticing myself coughing or clearing my throat rather excessively after a decent sized shot. There is no blood or phlegm. No other symptoms. Nothing. Just this whatever it is in the back of my throat. I've tried searching, looking for anything relating or similar that I can compare to and possibly come to a conclusion of sorts.

I included as much information as I could about my usage history that may or may not help to come to a conclusion. If anyone can offer any information it would be highly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

PS. Also, I vape. I don't know if that could somehow be a contributing factor, but thought I'd add it in anyhow.

Normally opioids act as cough suppressants and you're not smoking it, so it's pretty odd. Maybe it's because you vape or (this is really just speculation) it may be due to a cut that's clogging your alveoli in your lungs.
How do you prepare your shot? And is it the same batch?

I would guess it's the vape. When I vape certain juices it gives me this weird itch in my throat that just can't be scratched. Drinking something doesn't help, nothing does. I end up having a 10-15 minute coughing fit. It usually on happens with cheaper juice that has more pg than VG. Try a juice with a higher VG/pg ratio. Like 80/20

Normally opioids act as cough suppressants and you're not smoking it, so it's pretty odd. Maybe it's because you vape or (this is really just speculation) it may be due to a cut that's clogging your alveoli in your lungs. How do you prepare your shot? And is it the same batch?
This is important. I'd also like to point out that if your breathing is messed up, especially if your 20 year history included snorting and shooting, you may have a major artery blocking or a pulmonary embolism. Either one of those could make you drop dead. The seizure part. You totally could get one based simply on what you posted. Since you are a Polly drug user and want to get off a benzo drug, do what you have to to bring your dose down, That is strong stuff. taper slowly as possible to avoid bad times. Don't get me wrong, it's going to suck a bit, but with all the other stuff you are using, it shouldn't be that bad, IMO. Also, you are using a lot of neurotransmitters. Eat healthy and add vitamins and protein powder to the mix, to boost your health. I didn't answer everything, but I did point out some major points.

I prepare with bottled water, spoon and cotton filter. Always fresh and clean works. I don't add heat unless it appears to have more undissolved cut than usual... and even then the added heat is minimal. It's happened with three different batches from 3 different sources. I don't know if calling it a "cough" was the best term to use. It's like I feel like I have to clear my throat constantly. Though I do cough for relief of whatever it is. But there is no tickle or anything like that in the back of my throat. There's definitely something there, it's not just a dry clearing of the throat.

I'll definitely try switching up my juice. Although I already vape premium juices. I just checked one of my bottles for the vg/pg ratios and it's 75vg/25pg

Speed King, the only substances that I'm using are heroin and suboxone, when I'm not booting up. I do take small doses of xanax, which I figure probably doesn't have much relevancy. When I do take it it's only in the .5 to 1mg range.

Also, I'd like to point out again that I have absolutely no other noticeable symptoms. No problems breathing or anything whatsoever.

I have had some weird throat feeling and coughing after shooting up heroin cut with acacia fiber.
(its a light tan water soluble powder)

It could just be a cold. But I can not diagnose you over here so get yourself over to the doctors they wont care that you use they will be more bothered about saving your life and if your lucky you might come back from the pharmacy with a lil extra ;)

Thank you for all the replies. I must say, I considered it being a cold at one point, but it's been going on for far too long for it to be a cold.

And no, definitely not a histamine reaction. No other symptoms & definitely not itchy.

The H in my area is either brown or white. I don't personally like the fentanyl and it's killing people almost on a daily basis in my area. The dope I use is generally a darkish tan color, but after adding water it's that nice brown color. As stated above, it's been from multiple sources and I imagine if it was the cut that I would have noticed these symptoms long ago.

It doesn't happen when I use a small dose. Only after a decent sized shot...

when I did dope I used to get the same exact problem you described, I think it has something to do with some people being slightly allergic to ECP heroin. I actually asked a doctor about this once and they said it was an allergic reaction...