• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

cotton fever minus cotton....with methadone?

chrisrine122

Greenlighter
Ok. I'm in a methadone clinic and get takehomes, I've recently started to once again use a 3cc needle to inject it (i know, i know)
So a couple nights ago I injected and didn't get the normal rush I'd get but it didn't hurt either....you can't "miss" with this much liquid (approx 30lqmgs) and not know quickly....
Anyway laying there and I start shaking like crazy...its cold as fuck in my room so I don't make much of it, as it goes on and gets worse, lower back pain, shaking so bad I can't hold my phone it hits me..I was really hot first...this feels like cotton fever, but I'm obviously not using a cotton.
It's happened twice now. I did use the same needle, its been reused several times and I'll be honest....its just layed out without a cap on it.

I'm scared to try it again. Its enough of a bitch to hit a vien with that big ass needle as it is for 0 payoff AND some odd sort of cotton fever....ugh

Edit: I guess I never really asked my question, is that even possible? What did I put myself through?
Also these 2 experiences didn't have a HORRIBLE headache with them. The times I got cotton fever from heroin I had the.worst.headache.EVER

Last edited:
You don't need to use cotton to get "cotton fever"...it can be from a bacteria on the needle, cooker, water (if you used any)...basically most "cotton fever" experiences are due to something getting I to the bloodstream that shouldn't and the body reacts to the invasion...

I remember (this was many years ago) I had take home methadone. The pink liquid. My one and only time I IV'd this liquid I did feel it. But I got so sick similar in the way the OP describes. Now I wasn't sure if this stuff could be injected and people were saying absolutely not because of detergents in the syrup?? Not sure about anything here just relaying what I was told. I did not use a cotton. This was before the internet, 1990. But wow was I sick for a good 24 hours. Shaking, nauseas, hot and chilled. Never again did I do that. I had heard of people shooting the pills, but liquid was the big problem. My muscles hurt too.

Till this day I am unsure if people really do inject the liquid. Because on my one try I learned my damn lesson. I managed to get off of methadone with a prison sentence and telling my clinic to go screw themselves just before I got arrested and kicked in a giant bird cage for a few weeks. Worst nightmarish hell I ever went through. But I got clean..... for a few months anyway.

Oh people sure do inject it, I've done it off and on for years. I don't think anyone does it regularly, its just too much of a hassle depending on your dose and the size of the needle/syringe you're using. I'm on a pretty high dose and I can inject at maxium 30mgs at one time, so it takes alot of work to boot the whole bottle. Not to mention the fact that although you CAN inject the liquid, you really shouldn't because of the other stuff in it, it will damage your veins.
I'm sitting here fighting with myself over taking the bottle the correct way or not. I should take it the "right" way and then just go get some Xanax.
Damn having small shitty veins.

Your body is telling you to stop for a reason. Listen to your body. We've all done stupid shit (i've never iv'd, though) and even with stupid choices, your body knows enough to send out signals to tell you to "STOP, danger ahead."

IV methadone has been used in medical settings, but only in rare cases and no more than 48/72 hours. Only with specific doses, which you can't configure liquid to the correct measurement because you're not trained in that field.

Thing is, you're injecting an oral drug into your veins. This drug is known to cause Tachycardia and when you IV, it's bypassing your heart with zero filter. You're risking a myocardial infarction.

Sounds like you had a major drop in BP, or a rapid drop, which can be dangerous in itself if you're alone with no one to call out to if something were to backfire.

sounds like you had a major drop in BP, or a rapid drop, which can be dangerous in itself if you're alone with no one to call out to if something were to backfire.

Hmmm...I wish I had thought about that. We have a BP checker in our home.
Anyway I've been reading up on it and it sounds like it could have been several things, bacteria of some sort, the BP drop you're speaking of, my body finally getting too much sucrose.....
They all lead to what I had.
You're right my body is saying "this is too much". I keep saying I'm not going to, but I think I'll be losing my takehomes soon so I always say "but this is the last time you'll be able to do it for awhile"
Today I took my dose orally and I think tomorrow as soon as I wake up I'll drink it ASAP before I can talk myself out of it.
Happily I have some xanax right now, so dosing and taking a few of those will feel good.
I'm going to try to not do it any more or at the very least wait awhile before I try it again. My boyfriend would flip if he knew anyway.....he recently moved out of state so he doesnt see the marks but I'm going to visit soon so I need them gone....so just another incentive to stop

its simply a dirty shot and common sense dude injecting that shit is like in injecting pancake syrup there is absolutely no reason to

^would a follow up shot of maple syrup balance that out at all? I always prefer maple syrup with my pancakes, ooh and a little bit of icecream - perhaps skip a shot of ice cream - the brain freeze would be horrendous!!

Uncontrollable shaking and being freezing cold (spike a fever) are the classic signs of 'cotton fever'. Stop reusing gear, clean your skin with alcohol pads, use safe practices. and if you get it again, immediately eat a few Tylenol and chug as much water as you can stand; it drastically cuts down on the time and severity of the symptoms. and be prepared to change every sheet/comforter you have after you bury yourself in all of them, still shivering like a wet dog, and that fever breaks.

Bad 'cotton fever' can be almost as immediately incapacitating as anaphylatic shock.