• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction cotton fever cure

I once told this old hag when she had cotton fever to go "flick the bean" just messin around. She came out of the bathroom 15 minutes later with sweat all over her face and a big smile saying "wow! It actually worked!" Smh. I don't recommend it to anyone, but it was sure worth the laugh in those dark days. You guys keep your heads up and no matter where you are, never lose sight of who you truly are who you are meant to be. Thanks for the post. Aloha

I know this post is old as dirt, but since I searched in google and it was first to pop up it?s obviously still relevant. Thecure to cotton fever is Xanax and some excedrin migraine. As soon as I get the shakes I take a Xanax and it stops them in about 15 minutes. I stop throwing up. The only thing that lingers is the back pain and fever, but then take a hot bath and you feel 10x better after you get out of bath then boom pass out. Wake up and fever is gone.

I've found that on the odd occasion its happened, best thing for it has been to plug a couple of tizanidine tablets (an alpha2 adrenergic agonist muscle relaxer, and a strong one) it stops the shakes completely, within minutes. Along with standing over the cooker with the oven on maximum, the the oven door open a bit, keeping nice and dry, rather than getting wet in the shower, a GABAergic like benzos or chlormethiazole, and another hit of gear, never tried NSAIDs for it, as I don't have them on hand, I only take a topical version of diclofenac due to GI issues.

The tizanidine REALLY fucking works though, be careful, it does really drop blood pressure, but it will stop that nasty cunting shaking and shivering and cramping though as fast as the plugged dose can be absorbed.

Sounds like sepsis.

Actually, it sounds to me like anaphylactic shock, with the face swelling and seizure. Benadryl usually will take care of that, but there's always the danger of the throat closing up and stopping breathing. It's always possible that dope is cut with something unusual that could cause an allergic reaction, or could just be contaminated with a little bit of something that you turn out to be allergic to.

What has worked for me before is popping a few Excedrin or any other fever reducer drug, and get into a hot bath for a while. I see a lot of others here use the same method.

Some people I've talked to swear by this: that injecting a hit of meth can greatly ease the symptoms of cotton fever. I have never had the chance to try this method so I can't attest to it's efficacy. But some people swear by it, like I said.

Hm, I'm dubious. Amphetamines increase body temperature, and I have found that alpha2 adrenoreceptor agonists plus warming up over an oven with the door propped open for a while helps a ton (the alpha2 adrenoreceptor is the autoreceptor, and agonists work by blocking noradrenaline release, rather than inducing it, as amphetamines do) and after plugging a dose of tizanidine, the shakes, shivering and muscle spasms stop within minutes, and then the heat from the oven is a great comfort, and helps work out the tenseness from the muscle spasm, although one should start at a low dose of the tizanidine, no more than 2mg plugged, since its strongly sedating, and once sat or lying down for the first time after taking a dose, and get up slowly, holding on to something, because of its hypotensive effect, as it can cause orthostatic hypotension.

It does work though, and work well.

Cotton fever is caused by bacteria that is ubiquitous in commercial cotton.
The best way to avoid it is to dry your shit out every time you use before the next use.
I assume the bacteria con't grow in dry conditions, but with moisture it grows quite well.
If you let your shit sit around wet then you are asking for that shit.
If you have a bunch of old cottons, even those a few hours old, dry them out before you try to get another shot from them.
Chlorinated tap water will retard to some extent, but if you use well water along with a cotton swab, then DO NOT let your shot sit around for more than an hour max.
I figured this out a million years ago, before there even WAS a Wikipedia and I guarantee it twill work. However; here is what they have to say...disclaimer. I haven't read it yet because I just now found it. They may have a better way than I have outlined, IDK.

Cotton fever is a condition that is often associated with intravenous drug use, specifically with the use of cotton to filter drugs like heroin. It has been established that the condition derives from an endotoxin released by the bacteria Pantoea agglomerans which colonizes cotton plants, not from the cotton itself.

Cotton fever - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_fever

Last edited:
Don't use cotton! If it's too muddy to draw up, it's too muddy to IV. Cotton also wastes some of your solution. If you must filter, invest in micron.