• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction cotton fever cure

Damn about an hour ago I started shaking horrible, sat in front a heater with blacket until the shaken stopped, took an aspirin, played down and Breen dozing in and out, been sweating for a few hours, but the worst seems over. Cleaned the injection site with alcohol and applied some myocin

Damn about an hour ago I started shaking horrible, sat in front a heater with blacket until the shaken stopped, took an aspirin, played down and Breen dozing in and out, been sweating for a few hours, but the worst seems over. Cleaned the injection site with alcohol and applied some myocin
Well ended up at the Er and discovered that this had nothing to do with cotton fever but another medical condition from which I suffer, hyperthyroidsm. I think if you are having these kind of symptoms, it is best to bite the bullet and get checked as you don't want to check out. Better safe than sorry.

As a never-ever-IV user I always thought that cotton fever was caused by insoluble particles of the filter being introduced as opposed to bacterial toxins. Is that even possible?

I've never ever gotten cotton fever. Don't do this anyone but I use the same cotton for days-weeks & don't cook my shit up I just use warm water from the sink. Usually I dont even wash my hands or the injection spot & use used needles. I even roll the cotton into a ball with unwashed hands sometimes. Good immune system? Lol. I haven't been sick since I was a kid.

I've been an I.V. Heroin user for a couple years occasionally injecting pills. Out of 1000 days I'd say I've injected something multiple times a day for about 750 of them.

I have a hard time seeing how this method would work. Isn't cotton fever from being actually sick? Not like being dope sick. Hot showers help dope sickness a lot for me.

Last edited:
Just now getting over it. I too have had it many times... Yes I'm an idiot.. Anyway hot showers and time is the only thing that helps me

Some ppl use the cotton from inside a cigarette, hopefully it's not refuse at this point, this could be where he was going

Jeeze I had to check if this was thread from I read from years ago.. Nope. Hope many ppl actually do this? Like id rather go panhandle to cop dope.

If you save the cottons and dry them out right..then nothing real wrong with that.

But looking through your old garbage is fucking desperate and gross.

Obviously you never experienced truly being an addict, if you had you would never put down another addict/former addict. Personally, you sound like a piece of shit to me.

I have the cure for cotton fever. at least for me. for one after you shoot something that might be a little sketchy or if you know you are going to. take the maximum dose of any n-said pain reliever. this completely eliminates the chance for me. in a case where it just happens for some reason because it does just happen once you start to feel it you have a very limited time to still take the maximum does of any n-said. naproxen aka aleve works best for me but ibuprofen has also worked. then you take the hottest shower you can handle maybe even a little hotter and sit in it until the n-said kicks in. you will still have a little bit of a headache due to your body clenching and what not because the second option does prevent it it stops it in its tracks so u will shake a little bit. but if you are able to sit in the shower and calm yourself down breathe and tell yourself you are just waiting for the meds to kick in it will subside it I'd say about 20 minutes. that has been my experience thanks for letting me share. hope this helps someone because this.is some seriously scary shit and it is really really sucks.

I put my stuff together and realized that my cooker had a hole and leaked all over my counter! So I switched cookers and preceded to draw up the water of the counter(didn't want to waste anyghing)
Went about my day and an hour later my head starts hurting then my lower back starts throbbing so bad it's like somethings trying to tare out of my back, my hip joints ache so bad I can barely walk! I haven't had Cotten fever in over ten years I hope this is what it is. I'm scared and in pain afraid to go to the hospital my boyfriend doesn't exactly know what I'm up too. Does this sound right? I took some colonidine to try and lower my blood pressures since everything is pounding to my heart beat.

you know I've been shooting multiple times a day for years and my hygeine is downright awful these days -- reusing rigs waaay too many times, doing cotton shots if necessary (one time I swear the ancient cotton looked like it had a little mold in it, didn't stop me), not cleaning the injection site despite being rather dirty from work, etc, etc ...my sanitation practices started out a lot better when I initially started IVing but obviously I got more and more lax over time ...I've never once had cotton fever or any other complications. isn't it funny how things work?
KNOCK THE FUCK ON WOOD. KNOCKNOCKNOCK

Obviously you never experienced truly being an addict, if you had you would never put down another addict/former addict. Personally, you sound like a piece of shit to me.
Um ya, the shit I used to do..,I would put all my old stuff in Gatorade bottles to try and keep myself from getting back into my cottons and baggies. Never fail though I would always go down to garbage and dig them all back out trying to get every last bit of shit that I could. That's just what junkies do.

you know I've been shooting multiple times a day for years and my hygeine is downright awful these days -- reusing rigs waaay too many times, doing cotton shots if necessary (one time I swear the ancient cotton looked like it had a little mold in it, didn't stop me), not cleaning the injection site despite being rather dirty from work, etc, etc ...my sanitation practices started out a lot better when I initially started IVing but obviously I got more and more lax over time ...I've never once had cotton fever or any other complications. isn't it funny how things work?
KNOCK THE FUCK ON WOOD. KNOCKNOCKNOCK
I'm also lax on cleaning injection site, reuse my rigs to many times and he'll just leave the cotton in the cooker for easy access. Every other time I've gotten Cotten feaver was from marlbro filters as cottons. Did that twice never again. It's funny when I started using about 20 years ago they told us to take an ice cold shower it never helped.
I'm in a hot bath now, for the past 15 minutes I feel so much better! Thanks for the help guys!

Well ended up at the Er and discovered that this had nothing to do with cotton fever but another medical condition from which I suffer, hyperthyroidsm. I think if you are having these kind of symptoms, it is best to bite the bullet and get checked as you don't want to check out. Better safe than sorry.
The last time I went to the doctor with these symptoms he treated me so badly! He was banging on my back right where it was throbbing and I was crying out in pain he just looked at me in disgust and discharged me with a clean bill of health. Not even a ya you have some pain just that there was absolutely nothing wrong with me. Then I get a $1000 medical bill. Now I'm afraid to go back

Write was an extreme heroin user for almost 3 yrs. Write never did use needle. One reason being the trouble even the hospital had finding a vein. She loved to chase the dragon. Write has now been clean of the drug for 9 months but, on sort of a dare she did a half gram shot of crystal and liked it. Uppers have never been her thing and still aren't really but, when she wants a little something now and then (maybe once a month). This is what she does. With the crystal write does not get sick and she doesn't like it nearly enough for every day use. Anyhow, about 3 weeks ago write was at the end of her bag so she added the cottons she had saved. She didn't feel much so, she actually fell asleep. She woke up an hr later so cold her teeth were chattering unstopoably. At first write thought it was because she covered the heat vent before going to sleep because she was hot. She wanted to uncover vent so bad but, it took awhile for her to brave the cold outside of the covers. After awhile she had no choice. Her teeth were chattering so much that she was now in excruciating pain and had to make it stop. Write decided to get in hot shower and after her body heated up she began to feel better and eventually went back to sleep. The next morn she told her roomate couple that had been shooting heroin for years and they told her right away cotton fever. One of the roomates showed write a better way to store her cottons in future so they would dry in hopes it wouldn't happen again. At the time write was also out of all other cotton sources and used cigarette filters. Well it is now 4 weeks later. Write prepared her shot tonight with a clean cotton swab filter using new point and clean spoon. About 30 mins after the shot here came the teeth chattering. Now since write was awake this time and new the shower helped she got right up and in before it got as bad. Write is now doing research because she had no idea clean everything would cause the same experience. She has been doing the same routine with crystal for about 5months mostly using cig filters and now all of a sudden it happens twice in a row. I read a thread about putting your rinse in a needle immediately after shot. Write athought that was a good idea to try. What she fears ,for others more then herself, is that because of state laws regarding buying needles and finances many people do not have spares to use. If they do they are probably just as infectuctious. The law here is it's up to the individual pharmacy. Usually the head pharmacists decisions. There are enough that allow it that as long as write has $2 extra dollars she's good. Outside of just throwing them away any other ideas? I mean it's not as bad for me as some people say. The worst of it is my jaw gets really sore from the teeth chattering but, there's still nothing pleasant about it.

Yeah you know what worked for me... Hot chocolate it took it right away and when ever i do catch cotton fever it don't every activate until i drink something and then it kicks in... Just like this time a minute ago i got super cold shivers and my lower back started hurting no pukin sometimes headrck but that's about it and i tried the hot shower that worked and going to sleep always works❗❗

Fever and hot hot bath? Maybe not

now this will only work if youre not livin on the skreets an shit, ya know? and your hot water heater must be in good working order.

ive had cotton fever like many many times during the days when i was so poor id go through trash bag after trash bag and find every last cotton, cap, and bag with bits of powder residue in it and shoot the crap out of it and more times than not get the shakes like a squirell who chewed through a power line. it was welfare.

however, i discovered if i hopped in the bathtub, with water JUST under the "literally BURN your skin" level, after about 5 or so minutes the shaking would subside. continue soaking, and as the water gets cold, let some out and refill with straight hot water. after ab 30-45 minutes, if you hop out and get in bed youll sleep and feel fine. HOT BATHS CURE COTTON FEVER. at least for me.

try it out. then holla.

I'm unsure if I would do the super hot bath. Hyperthermia is a real threat and "cotton fever" is a misnomer. It's not from cotton fibers entering the bloodstream unless they carry a bacteria found in cotton itself. The symptoms of sepsis are similar and a fever of 104+ and hot water adds risk when a blanket and acetaminophen or ibuprofen are your best bet.
I've found that wet cottons, like storing them wet in a bag, may allow the bacteria's toxin to grow...or other bacteria growing in the filter media.
I saw advice to not boil your cotton... bad advice. Boil the hell out of it! It's best to be as sterile as possible and a rolling boil will kill a lot of things. Use common sense and be as clean as possible!!

I've worked with and supported the harm reduction coalition and exchanges and they give out cotton balls. The clean materials are great.

I'd switch to a better filter material if it was easily available. Anyone know where or how to obtain proper filter materials?