• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Corticosteroid euphoria

I am pretty sure noradrenaline is the culprit of the mania

but like other people are saying, probably a lot of other factors at work here

This is very interesting, since the narco-phobic middle eastern doctors only prescribe corticosteroids for pain, and people there are not what I'd describe as "healthy".

Opioids are more widely used in the Middle East, IIRC.

I have used a ton of these things over the years and towards the end began injecting ACTH during the cycle to try and prevent a rebound. The ACTH would make my HR shoooot up and make me feel very jittery and slightly euphoric. Definitely an adrenergic push. Overall though I wouldn't say they affected my mood much except for the ACTH.

Other steroid hormone modulating drugs I have used are
Antiprogesterone/Antiglucocorticoids - no change in mood
SERMS - PMS like symptoms (very irritable and moody)
Anti-estrogens - Mild to moderate depression
Anabolic steroids - *High doses* of potent androgens (like trenbolone) make me "dislike" people. I would categorize my state on them as exactly the opposite of (the empathy from) being on MDMA. Walking down the street I just hated everyone and wanted to choke bitches. Note that this was on 125mg/day of tren ace + superdrol + some test though. "Roid rage" does not happen to me or most people on reasonable doses of AAS. More conservative doses of androgens produce a mild depressed state and occasional rushes of a feeling of physical invincibility. Other psychological effects on *high doses* of pure androgens for me include impaired language skills (having nothing to say) and improved spatial skills, motor control and linear thinking.

Supposedly the anabolic-androgenic steroid methandrostenolone has some unique mood alterating properties (positive), but I have never taken the compound........

AAS's like oxymeth and tren are known to have some unpleasant mood altering properties.

Pinpointing the precise mechanism behind such phenomena is would require intensive study.....even then.......

Aromatizing steroids (like methandrostenolone and testosterone) feel a lot better on the mind - probably has to do with the estrogen receptor modulating mood positively. Based on the mildly depressed mood and feeling of invincibility, with my limited knowledge, I would be tempted to say that activation of the androgen receptor in the brain reduces the action of serotonin and increases the action of dopamine.

To bring this back to the topic of this discussion it might be useful to note that androgens appear to block/reduce the action of cortisol which might cause depression and increased aggression by itself.

I get irritability and insomnia, followed by hypersomnia and depression (I might also soon be out of luck, as my auto-immune reaction is continuing, and given the rebound adrenal suppression from corticosteroids, and my prior two treatment cycles, I might lack an option. :/).

ebola

Are you doing anything to tackle the adrenal suppression / rebound or are you simply cycling on and off?

I'm simply cycling off for now, and enduring the immune response (it closely mimics a poison oak rash). I will be seeing a physician soon, and then deciding about what action to take.

ebola

I'm simply cycling off for now, and enduring the immune response (it closely mimics a poison oak rash). I will be seeing a physician soon, and then deciding about what action to take.

ebola

I'm sorry man. I did the whole cycle off thing for over 10 years and I'm pretty sure it made my condition worse than if I never used steroids to begin with. I'm on Enbrel now and can't imagine how I ever lived with that shit.
Most doctors don't know how to use corticosteroids in the long term correctly. What worked really well for me was using a corticosteroid in the same way I would use AAS. Cycle on - increase dose, pyramid ACTH to keep the adrenal glands sensitized and come off from the max dose onto an antiglucocorticoid which will block GC receptors in the brain causing a huge increase in ACTH production restoring homeostasis. This way instead of a rebound within a week of stopping I could keep it in control for about 2-3 months.
I'm not sure what your auto immune condition exactly is but really hope you and physician can work out getting you onto a more modern treatment if possible.

I wonder if aside from a peripheral effect mediated via glucocorticoid receptors, there is a feedback mechanism, ACTH production will be suppressed by glucocorticoids, and ACTH comes from a common precursor peptide, proopiomelanocortin, which gets sliced and diced into various peptides, including ACTH, beta-endorphin, and the melanocyte stimulating hormones.

With how finely tuned the body's homeostatic mechanisms are, I would be most surprised if a simple reduction in POMC transcription would be the sole way that ACTH secretion is regulated, aside from causing decrease in CRF release (and probably interactions with CRF-binding protein, which acts as a sink for excess CRF, although its function is considerably more in depth than that, apparently)...I am just studying that area of biochemistry actually, because my g/f has a severe corticosteroid deficiency, due to lack of ACTH, most likely stemming from a hypothalamic issue causing greatly decreased capacity for CRF production or release.

I wonder, if aside from glucocorticoid mediated suppression of CRF release, there are interactions with the enzymes that are required to split POMC into ACTH, beta-endorphin and the melanocyte stimulating hormones.

I might try a dose or two of hydrocortisone and try and appraise its effects on opioid withdrawal, because worse luck, I am there right now, and its pissing me off, tapering down on dihydrocodeine, which I use for a knee condition, temporarily to get my tolerance down and eliminate physical dependence. So far I have cut my dose by 3/4, then switched to a Mu1 selective partial agonist, if I can find it...I know I have some around here somewhere.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7652513

Different Opioid Mechanisms Are Involved in the Modulation of ACTH and Gonadotrophin Release in Man.
Neuroendocrinology 1986;42:357-360 (DOI: 10.1159/000124463)

Thanks for all the info, guys! It is very likely 'Lichens Planus', which is a mere syndrome, not a disease, pointing to an "itchy rash of characteristic type (very similar to poison oak, but not quite), centered around scratches on the skin and mucus membranes, due to auto-immune pathology of unknown cause". I mean, I couldn't have a fucking 2 month long reaction to poison oak that flares back up occasionally rather than declining, right? Also, the differential diagnosis is from seeing 2 physicians, not internet hypocondriasis. :p

ebola

Administered 45mg hydrocortisone about 3 hours ago, some reduction in withdrawal effects, no reduction in sweating, but significant reduction in piloerection, myoclonus (which I have issues with for some reason but is made vastly worse by opioid withdrawal) and some lessening of overstimulation. last dose of opioid I took was 400mg meptazinol (Mu1 selective partial agonist) many hours ago. Also noted is complete abscence of lachyrmation although nasal mucosa still slightly overactive, but the overactivity decreased in magnitude quite a lot.

Only other drugs in my system at the moment are probably a little leftover nicotine and metabolites from a couple of fags hours and hours ago, and a shot of vodka that literally JUST got drank, along with traces of nitrazepam and its metabolites, from either 5 or 10mg taken early night last.

Unsure yet if it is definately a reaction to the hydrocortisone, will take a further dose soon and observe.

Sort of off topic.. but one time someone gave me a couple 20mg prednisone pills.. I took one on a whim one night. Noticed a little hyperness but it wasn't really pleasant.

BUT.. a couple days later, I did a tiny bit of mephedrone, and holy shit I thought I might have a heart attack my heart was POUNDING so hard/fast.. Extreme tremors/anxiety.. Thank god I only took a small dose to test it first (it was after I read about the rebound effect from prednisone, about how cortisol levels are low so your at risk). Scary shit..

Yea, that article is a bit confusing...

Here is another, which is more clear:

This is a stretch, but the end of another article

I had looked this stuff a while ago, when trying to figure if dexamethasone had any value in treating opioid withdrawal. Needless to say, i was somewhat unsure.

All this said, i dont think endogenous opioids have much to do with what is causing the mood changes in regard to corticosteroids...

This is by no means scientific, but interesting co-incidence atleast. Namely, just came to my mind, and if remember it corretly Burroughs wrote in Junky that he got shot of cortisone or allergic medicine to opiate WD's....

He was speculating then that maybe opiate WD's are a sort of allergic reaction... And yes he got big relief from the shot he got....

Have to check that part of Junky, just because of interest...

It seemed to help a fair bit (hydrocortisone@100mg/d)

Only did it for about 5 days at most though, then stopped, due to the potential for dependency on steroids, and to avoid having to do a taper off the stuff, and the obvious potential for immunosuppression.

I would think that corticosteroids would induce euphoria through a cascade effect of norepinephrine to dopamine receptors. I didnt read every post so if somebody already brought this up then my bad.

I cant take predinsone because after a injection i started pacing feeling distressed and paranoid uncomfortable needing to be outside and grounded not inside. I assumed it was a kinda allergic reaction or psychosis

Evening...
The euphoria I get from Myristicin and Opiates gets intense whenever I combine them with Cortisone pills. Cortisone gets you high and is very addictive in my opinion, but you need to take around 1200mg to notice any remarkable effect. I have to warn that frequent use of Cortisone results terrible long-term side effects such as "bone lose" which keeps me away from taking this chemical substance very often.
The list below mentions all positive effects I get from abusing Cortisone once a while:

• Slight Euphoria (which lasts few hours after taking the pills)
  • Sedation
  • Muscle Relaxation
  • Dry mouth (experienced at lethal doses)
  • Lightheadedness
I'd like to know if anyone else has any pleasant experience with Cortisone.

I have bipolar disorder. Personally Prednisone led me to experience a psychotic episode from tapering off of 6 days of treatment. I took the drug as prescribed. For someone who is not Bipolar, Hypomania is the side-effect being discussed. Euphoria is just a component of it. http://www.natureworldnews.com/arti...olar-disorder-linked-high-depression-risk.htm Basically people with Bipolar disorder can experience symptoms with both high and low cortisol levels. The Adaptogen Ashwaganda is something I personally can't take because the psychological effects are somewhat like corticosteroids.