• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Convalescent Gene Therapy for Prevention of Addiction

xdefiance

Bluelighter

With CRISPR gene edititing becoming more readily available and gene editing potentially used for prevention of disease and illness' that are becoming widespread throughout the globe, significant contributions to the isolation of the addictive gene 'COMPT' has been identified as addiction oriented and casuing mental challange.

Will this isolation and identifcation of such 'addiction gene' be rectified through gene therapy and gene editing(CRISPR) for future generations? Is the correction of the low enzyme 'COMPT' going to cure addiction for those suffering and those with imminent addiction cycles of their own?

Fools have hope for the human condion and cowards despair it.

Is CRISPR the future of preventitive and enhancement medicine? Well yes, i think it is and subsequent future generations of our beautiful species will have logentivity and the wealth that is health. WHat of the moral and ethical concerns while playing God during gene modification?

nope- there is almost never a single gene for something (take it from a bioinformatician). it may help. there are genetic predispositions to most character traits, but from my own experience, and i do believe i was born an addict, trauma is what makes the main difference. people who work in addiction often agree with this.

i do think CRISPR is super exciting, and offers amazing hope for peoplle with some genetic diseases. maybe even cancer too- if we can edit the genes tumours use to promote vascularisation (their own blood supply).

@chinup Working in the field of Recovery, I agree with you.

Sounds interesting, though. I'm will read up on this for sure to keep myself educated on this new approach. Wow the things we humans discover. What a wonderful world we live in. (If we don't screw it up - lol)

nope- there is almost never a single gene for something (take it from a bioinformatician). it may help. there are genetic predispositions to most character traits, but from my own experience, and i do believe i was born an addict, trauma is what makes the main difference. people who work in addiction often agree with this.

i do think CRISPR is super exciting, and offers amazing hope for peoplle with some genetic diseases. maybe even cancer too- if we can edit the genes tumours use to promote vascularisation (their own blood supply).

So addiction is more of an environmental issue and habitual factor and not directly correlated with that particular gene 'COMT'?

One would assume that the correction of deficiencies in this enzyme would correct the susceptibility in addiction. I also read a intriguing article about one neuroscientist addiction, who stated the cure for addiction was not found in neuroscience. What are the possible solutions then? Complete abstinence and possible initial medical intervention with the development of habitual success and mastery over addiction can aid in recovery.

Are you are ruling out CRISPR as a partial prevention tool for addiction?

Last edited:
i'm ruling out anything that looks like a magic bullet. from my own experience, decent rehab to kickstart things, appropriate therapy, good support network, secure home, a busy timetable and a lot of hard work aid recovery.

biologically, most of the time, you just don't have single genes for complex traits, such as propensity for addiction. furthermore, the genes that impact propensity for addiction will likely affect other things, so editing them won't just affect things related to addiction.