• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Constantly fantasizing about Xanax

washingtonbound

Bluelighter
I have bipolar and a lot of anger comes with it during episodes. Constantly I?m wishing I had a 2mg bar to pop so I could just be in a mellow state. But then when I take bars generally I just get stupid and black out and don?t see the recreational value. However, I still seem to think about them all the time. Anyone else have this problem?

Have you considered bipolar medications?

Its pretty common to try to self medicate with mental illness.

I was on xanax for a few years. It didnt go well yet it felt impossible to resist.

I take lithium and depakote with absolutely no side effects.

I think you really need to ask yourself do you want try for relief now or relief thats stable long term.

I second d1nach's advice: get on lithium, or valproate, or quetiapine, or any other non-addictive mood stabilizer.

Also, if you're taking xanax by the bar, you're pretty much doing it wrong. A single dose unit of xanax is .5 mg. See the scoring on those bars? That should kind of tell you they were originally intended to be broken up into parts of .5 mg, presumably so one bar could last you a day. Unless you have a serious tolerance, .5 to 1mg is a "therapeutic" dose. 2mg is a "get wasted" dose. More than 1 bar is a "blackout with delusions of sobriety, resulting in you going through the rest of your stash in one night"-kind of dose.

^^ Yep. 2 Mg Xanax is a big dose. Easy blackouts.
As far as antipsychotic medications, some are better then others.

You need to talk to a doctor about them.

The antipsychotics that have been listed are pretty popular, but your mileage may vary.

Risperidone is an excellent medication.

I must state, the medications listed are good, they must be discussed with a physician that can monitor you.