• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Congratulations to Steve Canane and the Hack Team!

johnboy

Bluelight Crew
Steve Cannane and the Hack team are winners of the 2006 National Drug and Alcohol Award for Excellence in Alcohol and Drug Media Reporting.

I would like to to congratulate Steve on this well deserved honour and thank him for being one of the few journalists in this country to even attempt to get beyond emotional button pushing and do actual research into this issue. Steve is leaving Hack soon but will continue to cover this and many other important issues on JTV.

He really is a great reporter. Its really is a shame his last Hack show was on Friday, have to wait and see what JTV brings.

wasn't he the one that served Chris Payne up on national radio?

Yup. Christopher Pyne. And he helped me make Pyne admit that he "doesn't need research to decide policy". You can listen here.

what exactly is JTV going to be? Steve really is great. Well done Steve.

Top work Steve and the Hack team! :)

It was quite sad listening to his last report on Friday, but since reading this thread, it appears I'll be hearing (and seeing) alot more of Mr. Cannane. :D

Just had another listen to that interview. Funny stuff. Pyne probably wasn't doing too badly to start with but after 5-6 mins he was struggling. Unfortunately even though he looked like a fool to anyone who has a clue about drugs, he still probably seemed more than reasonable to the moral majority.

beech said:
what exactly is JTV going to be?

I don't really know. Only what Steve has told me, which is that it is going to be Triple J TV on the ABC. There will be a show on pilltesting and the like in about a months time.

sounds great. Its very handy when you don't only experience oposition to your ideas and methods.

I've faced a number of problems in trying to teach drug education from a HM perspective in the school i work in (I'm a secondary school teacher). The school i currently teach in is very up tight and the only drug education is abstinance. Its school policy that any drug related issues be referred to the school counsellor. This means if a kid comes to me with a question about drugs or to talk to me about a drug problem all I can do is refer them to the counsellor who is a 60 year old guy who is not exactly progressive. Also in health education classes my drug ed unit can basically consist of "drugs are bad, do them and you will die".

For me this is pretty frustrating and as its something i'm fairly passionate about. A few years back at uni I developed a drug education resource kit but have been unable to implement it due to my employers constraints.

Edit: Sorry about the hijack
So yeah basically well done Johnboy and well done Steve for your top quality reporting and ability to see the converse side of the arguement of the moral majority.

johnboy said:
There will be a show on pilltesting and the like in about a months time.
A whole show? Or do you mean a segment on JTV?
Either way, top work. :)

Slightly OT: Does anyone know if J-TV will be on ABC or ABC2 (because ABC2 is only accessable for digital - right?)?

JJJ has lost some pretty major talent in the last few years. I guess everyone worth their salt eventually move onto bigger and better things.
I'll be heart broken when Rosie moves on from Super Request. IF that ever happens i think i'll die.

JTV is a thing that has been done in the past, I don't know how successful it was or anything. I have listened to JJJ for about 8-10 years. I remember them advertising JTV on the radio sometime in those years a cpl years ago, but I never watched it. As for Steve Canane, he is a legend. The way all reporters in the media should be - SMART!

SpecTBK=D

Very deserving winners! The standard of journalism on Hack has always been exemplary, and they've shown no fear in tackling tough issues such as drug use.

I'll be interested to see how JTV pans out.

Hi beech! ;)

Good recognition for those that deserve it, hopefully the Hack team can continue the good work.

JTV is going to be on Friday night and Satruday morning according to Steve Canaine... he came on to the breakfast show yesterday and talked about it. Basically on Friday nights there is going to be a segment that is pretty much "hack" on TV, a Youth Current Affairs program, pretty much the only one on Australia at this point. and on Saturday mornings there will be another JTV which will replace the top 50. Rosie is hosting it, and it will have the most requested songs for each week.... that way ABC don't have to play any more of that hideous mid-tempo RnB or whatever it is that is passing for actual music these days..... so i might start getting up (or staying up) early on a Saturday morning now... and maybe going out a little later on Friday nights.

^ Sounds bloody awesome! Will be locking the TV onto ABC and leaving it for the olds to watch on Friday nights ;)

looking forward to pill testing specials and Steve Cannane on JTV.. hopefully it will be as valuable as SBS Insight :)

I will miss listening to him on Hack though. Does anyone know if someone will be replacing Steve in the Hack spot?

In regards to Christopher Pyne: What is wrong with this man? For a whole 14 minutes the topic of discussion has been about MDMA/Ecstasy and then when stumped on a question regarding research into MDMA, he quickly shifts onto Cannabis use dropping. Had a good chuckle at that one.