• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Concerns about Vivitrol

moonmaster88

Greenlighter
I just took my last dose of Suboxone (4mg). Within the next two weeks I will be given the Vivitrol(Naltrexone) shot that I've wanted the past three years of my addiction. I know that if you are given the shot within 7 days of using an opioid that you can be thrown into debilitating precipitated withdrawals. To help curb the withdrawals that I will have to go through while in classes I was wondering if using loperamide(immodium) would be wise. I honestly think that it will cause an adverse reaction to the shot, but I'm not sure. I have clonidine,etizolam, and herb to keep me from losing it. Anyone here have any experience with Vivitrol that they can use to help guide me down this path. I also have a gram of MXE, I don't think that it's small effect on the opioid receptors should do anything, but I honestly have no idea.

You are planning on using loperamide to combat withdrawal before the Vivitrol?

You are jumping off suboxone at a high dose. Its not gonna be fun.

The best thing you can do is use the loperamide to taper for a week, and then give yourself another week clean off of everything before making the switch. I took the pill version of vivitrol (naltrexone) 5 days after I took just 2mg of suboxone for 3 days, and I went into precipitated withdrawals despite having only taken a pretty small dose of bupe and allowing 5 days between dosing.

I recently heard about a method of taking suboxone along with vivitrol for the first week to make the transition easier in the suboxone mega thread here, but I don't know how that can work.

I would stay far far away from vivitrol if I were you. That stuff just seems like a great way to make you life a living hell for a month or longer given your current situation. Jumping from 4mg of sub will not be easy & you are going to experience a pretty bad WD. The vivitrol will do nothing to relieve it & you will not be able to take anything to relieve until the vivitrol wears off. Which will be over a month. Sub or done maintenance seems like a better option for you. It always perplexed me why someone would literally torture themselves with this vivitrol shot? I believe it could be a great tool for dealing with PAWS once you've gotten past the acute WD stage but is so often misused as a "magic bullet" by doctors.

Trust me if you've been using suboxone at 4mg a day for any extended period of time your WD will be around a month long anyways. Save yourself the pain & money & just try to tough the WD out if that's where your at with your addiction. At least this way if things become unbearable you can have an exit plan. On vivitrol you'll be fucked for a month then probably go back to subs or worse because of the terrible experience. Seen it happen to a lot if people taking the vivitrol treatment improperly like you are about to.

Yeah most of the people I know who tried vivitrol, have hated it and I've heard some nasty horror stories. That said, I know it's worked well for some people too.. But, it's not something I'd personally ever consider.

I'd also strongly recommend against Vivitrol, but what a lot of people don't understand is that a lot of the people who get the shot are essentially being forced into it. Not literally, but take for example my situation (I've been on it since last March, probably going to have to do 2 or 3 more months). Many younger people are in the same boat.
A year and a half ago, conveniently right before I graduated high school, I got arrested for selling adderall and from there my parents figured out I was into opiates, so they sent me to rehab. The treatment center convinced me and my parents into starting Vivitrol, which is covered 100% by insurance for me. The first month or two, I was happy and excited and relieved that the option of using was out of the question, but inevitably, like everyone else I was in rehab with who got the shot, after a while, it became a torture device. After a few months I stopped getting the shot, relapsed, they found out, and I was given an ultimatum to get the shot for 12-18 months or be cut off completely and all that shit. I think they know it's not actually a "magic bullet cure for addiction", but it seems like the purpose of the shot is to give the people close to you peace of mind and security for a while. Kind of sad. Sometimes, at the end of the month when I'm about to get the next shot, I'll IV a couple milligrams of hydromorphone or take a quarter of an 8mg sub strip (bupe actually has a stronger binding affinity to the mu-receptors than naltrexone theoretically, but it's not that great, not even IV'ed which is terrible for your veins and should never be done anyways). Sometimes at the end of the month you can get a slight body euphoria, but everyone is right when they say you're not going to get the feeling you want if you're on the shot. Just a disappointing, nostalgic and bland kind of high that will leave you depressed and wanting the real thing again.
Benefits of Vivitrol: Because you will not be using (or at least not using successfully) anymore, if you stay on it for the recommended 12-18 months, your brain will likely recover from the neurological damage that opiate addiction causes. I do feel a subtle difference after 10 months, it wouldn't be fair to deny that. It does give the people around you a sense of security, but not forever, and only if they're still naive about addiction. If you can manage to be satisfied with the high you can get later in the month, I guess one could see Vivitrol as a way of making you set limits, but that's not the purpose of the shot, you can't do Vivitrol forever, and when that time comes to take off your training wheels, if you're not in recovery and you're still planning on using at all, you'll be back to square one eventually.
Downside of Vivitrol: There are plenty of other types of drugs you can still feel; since starting the shot, I've started and kicked short addictions to meth, alcohol, and benzos. Unless you're 100% serious about sobriety for good and you stay serious, in which case I'd doubt you need the shot in the first place, the frustration and depression you end up having is the shittiest feeling there is besides being dopesick. I've met hundreds of people in recovery and a dozen or two on vivitrol, and this is just my experience, but the ones who really push through and stay sober aren't on it.
I can't really answer OP's question, sorry, but I felt the need to post this because vivitrol isn't much of a widely used or commonly known medication, and like myself, there could be people out there on this shot who are looking for more relevant answers to their questions, not someone saying "i don't know what vivitrol is but go to meetings don't get high". That's what anyone should do, if they've gotten to the point in their lives where vivitrol has been introduced to them, but most people on the shot intend on using again.
By the way, for the sake of HR, I still strongly urge anyone who is getting this shot to give sobriety a chance, and if you're not going to and want to try and get high on the shot, please don't risk your life or your veins by doing high doses of anything as your tolerance is reset, or by IVing pills that everyone on Bluelight says are dangerous to shoot without micron filters. Even if you think an opiate high is worth the risk, the miniscule buzz you'll get isn't.

Anyone who is on Vivitrol and has any questions about anything, PM me. There are countless questions I've had that I had to figure out the answer to the hard way or by doing days of research. I just don't know anything about how long you have to be off of bupe before you get the first shot.

why would ANYONE want to use something like this as means of Getting clean, I don't know... you know that panic that runs through your mind when your dopesick and you just lost all your money and you now know that you will not be able to get better.. Imagine that over and over again for months.. Enjoy!

I'd also strongly recommend against Vivitrol, but what a lot of people don't understand is that a lot of the people who get the shot are essentially being forced into it. Not literally, but take for example my situation (I've been on it since last March, probably going to have to do 2 or 3 more months). Many younger people are in the same boat.
A year and a half ago, conveniently right before I graduated high school, I got arrested for selling adderall and from there my parents figured out I was into opiates, so they sent me to rehab. The treatment center convinced me and my parents into starting Vivitrol, which is covered 100% by insurance for me. The first month or two, I was happy and excited and relieved that the option of using was out of the question, but inevitably, like everyone else I was in rehab with who got the shot, after a while, it became a torture device. After a few months I stopped getting the shot, relapsed, they found out, and I was given an ultimatum to get the shot for 12-18 months or be cut off completely and all that shit. I think they know it's not actually a "magic bullet cure for addiction", but it seems like the purpose of the shot is to give the people close to you peace of mind and security for a while. Kind of sad. Sometimes, at the end of the month when I'm about to get the next shot, I'll IV a couple milligrams of hydromorphone or take a quarter of an 8mg sub strip (bupe actually has a stronger binding affinity to the mu-receptors than naltrexone theoretically, but it's not that great, not even IV'ed which is terrible for your veins and should never be done anyways). Sometimes at the end of the month you can get a slight body euphoria, but everyone is right when they say you're not going to get the feeling you want if you're on the shot. Just a disappointing, nostalgic and bland kind of high that will leave you depressed and wanting the real thing again.
Benefits of Vivitrol: Because you will not be using (or at least not using successfully) anymore, if you stay on it for the recommended 12-18 months, your brain will likely recover from the neurological damage that opiate addiction causes. I do feel a subtle difference after 10 months, it wouldn't be fair to deny that. It does give the people around you a sense of security, but not forever, and only if they're still naive about addiction. If you can manage to be satisfied with the high you can get later in the month, I guess one could see Vivitrol as a way of making you set limits, but that's not the purpose of the shot, you can't do Vivitrol forever, and when that time comes to take off your training wheels, if you're not in recovery and you're still planning on using at all, you'll be back to square one eventually.
Downside of Vivitrol: There are plenty of other types of drugs you can still feel; since starting the shot, I've started and kicked short addictions to meth, alcohol, and benzos. Unless you're 100% serious about sobriety for good and you stay serious, in which case I'd doubt you need the shot in the first place, the frustration and depression you end up having is the shittiest feeling there is besides being dopesick. I've met hundreds of people in recovery and a dozen or two on vivitrol, and this is just my experience, but the ones who really push through and stay sober aren't on it.
I can't really answer OP's question, sorry, but I felt the need to post this because vivitrol isn't much of a widely used or commonly known medication, and like myself, there could be people out there on this shot who are looking for more relevant answers to their questions, not someone saying "i don't know what vivitrol is but go to meetings don't get high". That's what anyone should do, if they've gotten to the point in their lives where vivitrol has been introduced to them, but most people on the shot intend on using again.
By the way, for the sake of HR, I still strongly urge anyone who is getting this shot to give sobriety a chance, and if you're not going to and want to try and get high on the shot, please don't risk your life or your veins by doing high doses of anything as your tolerance is reset, or by IVing pills that everyone on Bluelight says are dangerous to shoot without micron filters. Even if you think an opiate high is worth the risk, the miniscule buzz you'll get isn't.

Paragraph better. You made reading your post hard for me (I pretty much always post on my phone and I manage so that's no excuse). But interesting stuff.

I thought the Situation was a douche for getting that shot (prob was vivetrol) and said it really really hurts and fks him up for days(he said the pain, but pls, no shot can be that bad - med shot vet here) on Jersey Shore Reckon that prob w/d related or generally douchery.

update: I received my IM injection today. my ass is sore 16hours later, but just like if I fell. I was ~80hrs clean of heroin at the time and 12days clean of sub and felt little precipitated withdrawals. feel much better now almost like I'm not sick, but I still feel it a little

So I just started taking the oral form. My doc has a regiment of starting off slow like 1 mg and doubling each dose for a week till u get to two 50mg a day. That is done in 7 days. He also gave me 10 klons pin and some trazepone for sleeping. I went cold turkey from iving 2 buns of dope a day for roughly a year. Awful but u don't die and that's what I kept telling myself, lol. My question is when I get the shot next wk I kno I won't feel anything for awhile but some people have said after day 21/23 u can feel something. Any thoughts guys? Tbh I'm doing this as a way to control my habit if possible and perhaps extinguish it all together but the taste of it is still there as of now. Also I was wondering lets say I wait 28 days do something and then get the second shot on the 30th day, wouldn't that precipitate wds due to the h 2 days prior? Any help would be appreciated and plz no judgements we all have our battles and our own stories. And I wish each n every1 warrior a long blessed and enjoyable life~

So I just started taking the oral form. My doc has a regiment of starting off slow like 1 mg and doubling each dose for a week till u get to two 50mg a day. That is done in 7 days. He also gave me 10 klons pin and some trazepone for sleeping. I went cold turkey from iving 2 buns of dope a day for roughly a year. Awful but u don't die and that's what I kept telling myself, lol. My question is when I get the shot next wk I kno I won't feel anything for awhile but some people have said after day 21/23 u can feel something. Any thoughts guys? Tbh I'm doing this as a way to control my habit if possible and perhaps extinguish it all together but the taste of it is still there as of now. Also I was wondering lets say I wait 28 days do something and then get the second shot on the 30th day, wouldn't that precipitate wds due to the h 2 days prior? Any help would be appreciated and plz no judgements we all have our battles and our own stories. And I wish each n every1 warrior a long blessed and enjoyable life~

I'm on Vivitrol, have been for a year. Generally when you ask questions like this on the internet, you're going to either get a plea from someone to get serious about sobriety and not try anything, or you're going to get some asshole (who's probably a junkie themselves) saying that you're fucked in the head and just shitting on you for trying to get high on the shot. But in my ample amount of experience,
1) After any period of time after getting the shot, you can feel something, but by something, I don't mean you'll be high. You'll pretty much feel some effects of the drug besides the effects you want. That's why people who try using massive amounts of opiates to override the shot just die. Respiratory depression still occurs. The closer in time you get to the shot wearing off, the more you can feel. Usually if I get the shot 30 days after the last one, I'll bang 30-45mg of oxycodone on day 28 or 29, and I'll get pretty close to how it used to feel before Vivitrol. The difference, I guess, is just that you don't get much of a mental/emotional euphoria. It's hard for me to make a comparison because it's been so fucking long since I've been able to use an opiate without being on this shot. Because I have to drive two hours to see the nearest doctor who can give the shot, and because it's so complicated for me to go through the process of getting it ordered, sometimes there's a delay and I won't get the next shot until 35 or so days after the last one. I strive for that, haha. Got my last shot a couple of days ago and it was 36 days after the last one. The night before that shot the other day, I IV'ed 45mg oxycodone and it honestly felt fucking amazing. Almost the full effect. Or, at least good enough for me to be 100% satisfied. Everyone has different answers, though, and your experience might be different than mine. If you insist on continuing opiate use, just experiment I guess, as long as you're careful not to OD.

2) People say that if you have any opioids binded to the mu-receptors while getting the shot, you'll go into precip. withdrawals. This is true if you get the shot while you're physically addicted. If you would go into withdrawals from not using an opiate anyways, then naltrexone will make the withdrawals exponentially worse. However, me and several people I know have used opiates the night before the shot, the morning of the day of the shot, and even literally right before getting it. The other day, on the way to get the shot, I took a ton of kratom and had no problems after injection. I've done the same with oxycodone and morphine. No problems. However, I'm skeptical as to whether the same applies to methadone or bupe, and I wouldn't risk that. It's possible that those two used before naltrexone could cause problems. Long story short, doing an opiate once or twice before the next shot doesn't hurt you.

Hope this helps, any other questions just PM me.

Hey you seem extremely knowledgeable about the Vivitrol shot. I am on my first one. I am only 2 weeks in and my opiate cravings are so bad that I've literally thought of ways I can go to the ER to have it reversed. I initially wanted it. Because I knew if I took the Revia in pill for I would stop taking them so I could use and I really wanted to quit. But now I am just so miserable. How soon will this wear off??

^ It will last another 2 weeks. Do not attempt to 'break through' the shot. Also this thread is pretty old so you may not get a response.

Paragraph better. You made reading your post hard for me (I pretty much always post on my phone and I manage so that's no excuse). But interesting stuff.

I thought the Situation was a douche for getting that shot (prob was vivetrol) and said it really really hurts and fks him up for days(he said the pain, but pls, no shot can be that bad - med shot vet here) on Jersey Shore Reckon that prob w/d related or generally douchery.
If it was hard for you that's your problem. Haha. People. Don't read.