• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Commonwealth Games

^^ You need to find out where the athletes have set up their home bar for the week and hang out there each night ;)

Despite the fact that I wasn't feeling very excited about the games to begin with, I've ended up watching quite a bit (go procrastination). The girl's swimming team were awesome! Did anyone catch the men's 400 on the track tonight? Looks like Steffenson will be one to watch for Beijing.

I missed that but I saw the Mens 5000 the other night, that was a great race. Those Kenyan's are awesome but the aussie put in a great effort.

^^ Yah, I saw that one too... first time I can say I've been on the edge of my seat for a 5000m track event!

How the hell can 9 athletes just go AWOL?

I can't see us finding them drunk in a pub somewhere and hearing them say, 'Ohhhh shit I knew I came to Australia for a reason.'

i found out tonight that there are crazy cheap boxing tickets available! i'm excited

ha. i wondered why all of my melbs mates were calling in the middle of the night saying what an awesome night they'd had at the games...

...the penny JUST dropped... thanking you...

...kytnism...:|

katmeow said:
^^ You need to find out where the athletes have set up their home bar for the week and hang out there each night ;)
Apparently the rugby guys jog around royal park every day...and I live in Sydenham..

*cries*

(for Sydney people, that's very far away from the hot rugby men)

:(

*puts hand up*
another sucker here!!
8)
but I love it...don't know if I am trying to relive my teenage athletic years but there is nothing like a good sporting game or a race about something for the thrill of just winning to get me yelling the bejesus at my tv ..... mmmmm..... probably a good thing that it all happens at a time just before my neighbors get home from work!
:D
My friends in Melbourne however have been raving about the free entertainment that has been on offer and so I have to say I am supremely jealous of you melbournians most of all for that!
:\

up all night said:
How the hell can 9 athletes just go AWOL?

I can't see us finding them drunk in a pub somewhere and hearing them say, 'Ohhhh shit I knew I came to Australia for a reason.'

It was only two athletes and I'd say they just used the games as a way out of their shit third world countries. Good on them.

Police concerned about missing Games athletes

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Two athletes, a boxer from Tanzania and a Bangladeshi runner, have gone missing from the Commonwealth Games village in Melbourne, police said on Wednesday. Sparking fears about possible defections, boxer Omari Idd Kimweri and 400 metres runner Mohammad Tawdihul Islam have both been missing since Monday.

Both had completed their events, officials said.

"Police are concerned about the welfare of the two missing athletes," a police spokeswoman said.

"It's been reported that they are missing."

The spokeswoman said police were not conducting searches but urged anyone with information about the athletes to contact them.

Australia's Immigration Department said the missing athletes were not yet a concern because they both still had valid visas to be in the country for another month.

Kimweri, a married civil servant, was beaten in the 48 kg flyweight boxing on Saturday.

Tanzanian team officials told The Age newspaper that they did not know if Kimweri's disappearance could be an attempt to defect.

Islam failed to advance from the 400m heats on Monday.

Five Bangladeshis went missing while at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester four years ago, sparking a crackdown on athletes competing in overseas events.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=2006-03-22T124558Z_01_SP272742_RTRUKOC_0_US-COMMONWEALTH-MISSING.xml&archived=False

Raz said:
^^^Yeah I like that there's artsy stuff about....there's an interesting exhibition down at docklands which is like an interactive maze of shipping containers...and I'm going to St Kilda on Sunday to check out the luminarium too.. :)

I went down to the luminarium last night but got there too late.

I'm going to try again on the weekend. Friends made it in time and they said it was awesome, and the photos they took looked great.

lostpunk5545 said:
It was only two athletes and I'd say they just used the games as a way out of their shit third world countries. Good on them.
I heard on the news another seven from Sierra Leone disappeared as well. I can see a mass athlete disappearance coming on. ;)

hehe apparently at Manchester 25 athletes vanished - mostly from Sierra Leone.

same thing happened during the Sydney olympics. They obviously dont value their sporting careers much...although I doubt you would need to be much of an althete to get on the Sierra Leone team for some random sport where you get knocked out first round and are then free to roam the countryside.

Yeah I heard about the other ones on JJJ today :)

And obviously they value their careers, they waited until after their events to disappear :)

Beats months on a boat that could sink at any minute.

^ Nah they didn't. They realised the seven were missing because three of them missed the heat for their relay.

They had even beefed up security because 70% of the Sierra Leone team went missing last time and the smartasses still escaped. I hope they're never found! =D

They don't lock them up or anything do they? Surely they can do whatever they want to once their sports finished?

If I was living in Sierra Leone I'd do the same thing! Ha ha thats cool....

<3

RazOn another note said:
^I"ve seen loads on my train line in the mornings, would you believe? ;)

I even struck up a bit of a conversation with an 8ft tall [well he seemed to be that tall when sprawled out over a seat opposite on the train the other day] Nigerian man with awesome tight dreadlocks dressed from head to toe in WHITE with muscles rippling absolutely everywhere you could see skin... 8o
It was a humbling experience, let me tell you. Their bodies are art.

I also went to the women's table tennis last weekend and watched the Aussie girls kick some butt. It was awesome - great spirit and lots of noise and support for a sport that's usually ignored.
My only gripe was watching people scoff pies, fish and chips and other deep fried objects the whole time - - - why oh why couldn't they have catered some healthy options? :\

We caught glimpses of it via satellite, from what we saw of the medal tally, australia shat all over the other countries of the commonwealth. I compare it with putting an undefeated world champion in the ring with a first-time professional. Not much competition at all. We saw none of the sport, just the medal tally.

Can't say we really missed watching it either... actually, when we got home, the badminton finals were on, so we were happy. :)

CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT said:
I also went to the women's table tennis last weekend and watched the Aussie girls kick some butt.

w00t... go Miao Miao =D

Watching the athletics last night... there were a few people who didn't show up for medal presentations, including a gold medalist. Seems kinda rude!

<3

^Yeah, she was so awesome. :):D:)
Everyone really got in the spirit of things while we were there, which was great to see for a sport which doesn't get an awful lot of exposure.

I'm a little heart broken tonight after watching the boys luck out on the baton change in the 4x100m [Matt still hasn't learnt to keep his tackle in place... ;)] aaand for that poor boy to lose out by being tipped over in the 1500m. :(
Devastating for both them personally, and their families. :\

^^ I was really looking forward to the 1500m after seeing Mottram race the other day in the 5000m

Must be a horrible feeling when something like that happens that is not of your own doing :\