• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Coming Off Invega Sustenna (Paliperidone) v4

HelpMeInvega

Greenlighter
I eat like im anorexic and still don’t lose any weight on this medication and walk twice a day and ride my bike. This is beginning to become hopeless. I can’t wait to drop the dose down to 25mg in August.

Shamoo808

Greenlighter
I eat like im anorexic and still don’t lose any weight on this medication and walk twice a day and ride my bike. This is beginning to become hopeless. I can’t wait to drop the dose down to 25mg in August.
I was on 50mg and still feel like shit. I got my invega levels tested and it was 14.2, the therapeutic range is like 40-100. So I would imagine I have much less then what 25mg injection would give you but I still feel like shit with almost all the same side effects as March 5th when I had my last injection, though maybe with slightly less severity.

What I’m trying to say is that dropping it down to 25mg isn’t going to get the results you want. I know you are court ordered, are you in Canada? If so what province? Have you tried to get a review panel done to decertify you? What are the specific circumstances that led you to get hospitalized? If you tell me maybe we can see if there is a way for you not to take anymore injections as I can almost guarantee you don’t need it, we just need to make the review panel feel the same way.

HelpMeInvega

Greenlighter
I was on 50mg and still feel like shit. I got my invega levels tested and it was 14.2, the therapeutic range is like 40-100. So I would imagine I have much less then what 25mg injection would give you but I still feel like shit with almost all the same side effects as March 5th when I had my last injection, though maybe with slightly less severity.

What I’m trying to say is that dropping it down to 25mg isn’t going to get the results you want. I know you are court ordered, are you in Canada? If so what province? Have you tried to get a review panel done to decertify you? What are the specific circumstances that led you to get hospitalized? If you tell me maybe we can see if there is a way for you not to take anymore injections as I can almost guarantee you don’t need it, we just need to make the review panel feel the same way.
No I suffered a severe psychosis 2019 to October 2020 I was put on abilify in 2020 and it didn’t work and made me gain 15 pounds and then they switched me to Invega Sustenna where I got the two loading dosages in August 2020 and then was on 75mgs in September/October then November on Ive been on the 50mgs and and looking to get dropped down to 25mgs in August then they are going to try me off meds in November...it’s been a long haul with weight gain and some cognitive decline. I read a post on here that a guy dropped down to 25mgs and was able to run again and got his six pack and everything.

Shamoo808

Greenlighter
No I suffered a severe psychosis 2019 to October 2020 I was put on abilify in 2020 and it didn’t work and made me gain 15 pounds and then they switched me to Invega Sustenna where I got the two loading dosages in August 2020 and then was on 75mgs in September/October then November on Ive been on the 50mgs and and looking to get dropped down to 25mgs in August then they are going to try me off meds in November...it’s been a long haul with weight gain and some cognitive decline. I read a post on here that a guy dropped down to 25mgs and was able to run again and got his six pack and everything.
Where is this post? Are you not able to get off the injections?

paranoid android

Bluelight Crew
When i had a psychotic break 2 years ago the first thing they gave me was Invega. To say it was awful was a major understatement. Not only where the sexual problems horrible and long lasting but i also had kidney pain and had to piss constantly. I also developed Akathisia from it as well which was awful. Combined with the mental cloud i was in my shrink took me off it and put me on Abilify instead which also caused some problems namely weight gain.

Now i am on Latuda instead and so far im not getting any side effects from it. Im not getting the godawful munchies i got with abilify either. I know Latuda get's a bad rep sometimes for Akathisia but at 40mg's a day im not getting it. Id honestly recomend anyone having problems with older anti-psychotics to give Latuda a try.

Afernandes1

Bluelighter
Does anyone have experience with Vraylar?
my shrink said it’s weight neutral and doesn’t have too many side effects but I don’t trust him.

Bigsmoke420

Bluelighter
I'm 5 months off and only facing anhedonia and lack of emotions. Anyone think it's from substance abuse or the invega. Before Invega I had emotions but i was always high and abused cannabis smoking heavily pretty much couldnt enjoy anything without being high. So my question is you think the lack of emotions and anhedonia could be from using meth and abusing cannabis because I'm pretty much a normal person now before. I just like the passion for things like before. Just want a second opinion on the forum because most of you are really smart and know a lot about mental health

n3ophy7e

Moderator: TDS
Staff member
I'm 5 months off and only facing anhedonia and lack of emotions. Anyone think it's from substance abuse or the invega. Before Invega I had emotions but i was always high and abused cannabis smoking heavily pretty much couldnt enjoy anything without being high. So my question is you think the lack of emotions and anhedonia could be from using meth and abusing cannabis because I'm pretty much a normal person now before. I just like the passion for things like before. Just want a second opinion on the forum because most of you are really smart and know a lot about mental health
Meth in particular (and other substances too, but especially meth) really messes with the "reward pathway" in your brain, the system that uses dopamine to make you feel happy and satisfied when you experience something good. Meth pretty much burns it out, so that you can't feel happy and rewarded from anything naturally (i.e. anhedonia). No doubt the Invega has had an effect as well. It can take a very long time for this part of the brain to recover after drug abuse, and unfortunately there's no real way to predict how long it takes from one case to the next. You just have to wait and see. But the good news is that as long as you stay healthy and stay clean off meth and other hard drugs, the anhedonia should gradually start to go away.

Edie2k2

Bluelighter
Yes I recovered from everything, the anhedonia isn't permanent but it stays there for like 8-9 months on the sustenna.
I'm in Italy and the paliperidone injection that I took is made from a different company ,will I still recover from anhedonia?

Ammarishot

Bluelighter
I'm sorry for all of you struggling on this drug. But I still believe full recovery is possible for everyone. Our brains are neuroplastic and known to recover from the greatest trauma. I really wish more money was spent on psychiatry and the research of new meds. I believe these anti psychotics are still in their testing stages but it's the best treatment we got so far. The invega especially is tough on the side effects and finding the right med is key for living a healthy life. I think the invega has similar side effects for everyone and I'd say it's definitely not the best the drug companies have produced. So I'd say find a different anti psychotic that works for your symptoms and isn't heavily on the side effects. Pick what side effects you want to deal with as every med will come with a side effect but some are more tolerable than others. It's about your preference.

Afernandes1

Bluelighter
I’ve heard that most rehab centers suggest a 4 month recovery period for hard drugs like meth, cocaine, etc.
Generally, meth takes about 1-3 weeks to be out of your system and an additional 3 months for the brain to return to normal.
On the other hand, Invega sustenna takes 10 months to leave the system, and even longer to recover from side effects.
So if you’re still experiencing severe anhedonia, I would think it is the Invega.
The good news is that it won’t last forever, I’ve been 11 months off Invega and just recently recovered from anhedonia and started enjoying basic activities, so hang in there and try to enjoy life the best you can!

Edie2k2

Bluelighter
Ho
I'm sorry for all of you struggling on this drug. But I still believe full recovery is possible for everyone. Our brains are neuroplastic and known to recover from the greatest trauma. I really wish more money was spent on psychiatry and the research of new meds. I believe these anti psychotics are still in their testing stages but it's the best treatment we got so far. The invega especially is tough on the side effects and finding the right med is key for living a healthy life. I think the invega has similar side effects for everyone and I'd say it's definitely not the best the drug companies have produced. So I'd say find a different anti psychotic that works for your symptoms and isn't heavily on the side effects. Pick what side effects you want to deal with as every med will come with a side effect but some are more tolerable than others. It's about your preference.
How was the feeling when u recovered from anhedonia?

HelpMeInvega

Greenlighter
When i had a psychotic break 2 years ago the first thing they gave me was Invega. To say it was awful was a major understatement. Not only where the sexual problems horrible and long lasting but i also had kidney pain and had to piss constantly. I also developed Akathisia from it as well which was awful. Combined with the mental cloud i was in my shrink took me off it and put me on Abilify instead which also caused some problems namely weight gain.

Now i am on Latuda instead and so far im not getting any side effects from it. Im not getting the godawful munchies i got with abilify either. I know Latuda get's a bad rep sometimes for Akathisia but at 40mg's a day im not getting it. Id honestly recomend anyone having problems with older anti-psychotics to give Latuda a try.
Did you gain weight from latuda? Are you able to lose weight?