• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Combo Subthread] Mushrooms & Benzo's

I can actually imagine benzodiazepines enhancing the depth of a psychedelic trip, simply by allowing one to feel more comfortable pushing the dosage higher. You might take that extra tab / hit / 5 mg, if you knew that the potential anxiety of the trip would be muted somewhat by the security blanket of benzodiazepines.

I think the only reason you can push the dosages higher is because benzos dull the psychedelia of the trip, making 5 hits of LSD under the influence of benzos equivalent to 2 hits of LSD benzo-free (just an example, not sure about how much benzos dull the trip).

To be honest, stay away from benzos during the trip. If you absolutely need benzos, then you're probably not in the right state of mind to be dosing psychedelics in the first place. Instead, carry a benzo around with you while tripping as a safety net/panic button. Some find that just having some sort of safety net in their pocket makes them feel better while tripping, and some find that's enough to relax them without even taking the benzo.

He's asking about taking a benzo if things go bad - not before dosing. As we all know this is common practice, and there should be no issues doing this - since it won't kick in instantly it might be a while before you get any relief, but having benzos (or even alcohol, if you can't get benzos, and can stomach it) around is good for these sorts of things. They're also useful if a trip is dragging out a little too long and you want to get some sleep :)

As Never said, we already have a thread for Mushrooms + Benzos, and once you've had a chance to reply to this, me, him, or another moderator will merge this with that thread.

Hope this helps :)

I think in hospitals they give people anti-psychotics when they are having a bad trip. something like zyprexa or haldol.
and if you need some mellow, relaxing music, i suggest listening to this di.fm station "Space Dreams"
http://www.di.fm/spacemusic

Last edited:
taking shrooms and benzos good idea or not

i really love tripping especially mushrooms but the past few times ive done them ive freaked out and im kinda scared to do them again however i was thinking about taking a benzo to reduce anxiety so i could have a good trip just like the old days.. however ive heard that benzos can cancel out the efects of tripping .. has any ever done this if so what benzo would you recomend for shrooms, or even other psychedelics

i would trip first then take a short acting benzo if you need it, maybe just having it in case will ease your anxiety. I've done it plenty of times, doesn't completely kill a trip as long as you keep the dose low. Any benzo will do really but ativan/xanax can kick in nice and fast if you are panicking.

Benzos don't kill trips, antipsychotics do. A large amount of benzos can make you dull and take the edge of the trip, taking away much of the magic and mental clarity (if you have mental clarity that is). I'm on benzos (clonazepam) 24/7 since 7 years and trip just as hard as before I got prescribed them. Then again I have such a tolerance I don't even feel their effects.

For anxiety or panic, alprazolam is the best benzo. Fast-acting and short-acting.

With shrooms (and most other tryptamines) beta blockers also work, they don't affect you mentally really at all but have a calming effect and are effective for anxiety and panic. A small amount (~10 mg) of propranolol would surely help. It doesn't have a strong impact on the trip itself, actually less than benzos because it doesn't make you dull. When you feel strong anxiety or start panicking, your heart start racing and beta blockers prevent this.

My opinion is basicallly: either you can handle it and go for it, or you don't. Short-cuts are a way of asking for subconscious material to enter your mind and repressing it which is not healthy. I can personally say that at this time I would be very apprehensive to take mushrooms, especially a full dose, because I've been mentally destabilized chronically by stress. I do much better with LSD which is why I do use that sometimes.

I don't say this to make it exclusive, or be elitist. I just don't believe in choosing to trip and only accepting part of the whole package. If you want something less deep go on the hunt for a less demanding psychedelic.

Benzo's are meant to be for emergencies or bad comedowns that - for example - keep you strung out for hours without allowing you to finally rest. Anti-psychotics should be even more reserved. Much more.

Particularly low doses of a downer *can* indeed work. I am saying that you should not think too simply switching yourself on and off just like that. Also: downers like GHB and phenibut have eased me quite a bit without being actually repressive.

I have a friend (actually a friend I'm not talking about myself) that loves to take really high doses of lsd but he usually takes a a mg of clonazepam with his trip to take the edge off. You might be trippin too much and don't need that kind of anxiety in your life. But if your of the mindset like I'm gonna trip no matter what, then yeah a benzo can ease your anxiety. But at the same time, your still gonna be tripping. And with tripping comes anxiety. So you can either deal with that anxiety, or just stop trippin.

I agree with Soli here, trip or don't trip. Don't try and combat the trip with more chems, it doesn't work like that.

I agree with Solipsis and Jinux, psychedelics and benzos don't go well together. Ofc there are some exceptions, like if somebody has a benzo tolerance and has to take them daily anyway for, say, social anxiety, they have to take their daily doses despite taking the psychedelics otherwise they end up withdrawing while tripping which is really bad. If you have to take benzos daily, you really need to consider heavily wether to trip or not in the first place.

Psychedelics ae good for solving knots in the mind metaphorically speaking. If you take a benzo during the trip, chances are you're going to end up with even more knots in the mind after the trip. Subconscious matters that require solving often arise when tripping and if you take benzos, you might not be able deal with them and repress them just as solipsis said. This may cause long lasting psychological problems. Emergencies, bad comedowns and special exceptions only.

every time i do mushrooms i do 5 grams if i start to get scared i just pop 10mg of xanex n the trip gets really really melow then i pass out

Clonazepam and psilocybin

Good morning BL.

I've found plenty of articles on this matter but they seem conflicting and there are anecdotal reports claiming all kinds of results, so I thought I would just ask if anyone has had experience with this. I have some clonazepam (6mg) in my system and was intending to have a little shroom moment today. I know many people use benzos while tripping if it gets out of hand, to help them calm down or escape negative effects. Lately I've been tripping more than usual, and on a few occasions have had pharms in my system. Results have varied. Today I feel especially good and uplifted, and am reluctant to cancel the tea session just because of clonazepam.

On a related note, I've been blessed(..) with all sorts of mental health issues half of my adult life, most recently manic episodes escalating into bull blown psychosis. It was only when I decided to stop doing anti-psychotic poisons like lithium and neuroleptic drugs and started doing psychedelics more often that those problems vanished. People always say you should stay far away from psychedelics if you have mental health issues, I have a feeling that is not always the case. For someone completely naive to the psychonaut world, not following that advice may well lead to disaster, but apparently I have found a way to keep my bipolar/borderline tendencies in check. Perhaps I'm not being as responsible about it as I should, but I felt this was worth mentioning. It has been a fun year of experiments and I hope it continues in such a positive way.

So my question is this..given an sufficient dose (est. roughly 70mg psilocybin), would the clonazepam diminish, alter or completely kill the experience?

I'm pretty sure there is no dangerous physiological interaction risk between these two and I'm not that worried about the trip taking on some unknown characteristics. I just consider that personal exploration of sorts. If it has the potential to completely kill the experience, then it's a waste of perfectly good caps.

Please, if someone has tried this, enlighten me. :)

No, there should not be. If anything the benzo will soften the experience.

It depends on how close together you are taking the clonazepam and the psilocybin and whether it's one-time use or chronic clonazepam use, since if you're taking it every day it will build up in your system. I don't know how close you're planning on taking them together, but if it's quite a while apart it shouldn't completely cancel out the psilocybin, maybe just make it a little more mellow and gentle. I haven't actually tried this myself but I have heard of a few people doing mushrooms 12-24 hrs after clonazepam and not reporting it to have noticeably affected their trip. 6mgs is quite a bit of clonazepam IMO though.

Here's a thread on the topic of benzos and psychedelics: Benzos and Psychedelics?

Going to move this to Psychedelic Drugs.

BDD -> PD

Thanks for the clarification.

I took the clonazepam to sleep soundly last night, so I'm not taking them that close together. And no, I don't take any benzos chronically, only rarely when I need to stay asleep for longer periods, that requires a decent dose for me. I try to avoid taking _anything_ else when I am planning to go on a trip, although this wasn't really planned. I just felt so clear headed and positive since waking up, possibly due to having slept better than in weeks, that I decided to do a daytime trip for once. Not as impulsive as it sounds, just been waiting for the right moment.

I will read through that thread before I sit down for tea, Swimmingdancer. I know 6mg is heavy for someone with no tolerance, and I'll report back if it really seems to dull down the experience. Thanks for the replies and the link to the thread. =)

No the benzo's should not interact negatively with the mushrooms but mainly blunt the experience, however your mental issues are definitely something you should avoid the mushrooms for.

edit: Oh sorry you already covered that topic.

Thought I would update this in case someone else wonders about the same thing in the future. The clonazepam didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. I had a great and very intense experience from what I estimate would have been around 70mg. I did the lemon tek thing as usual and even though I would call myself a relatively experienced psychonaut, I was almost delirious in the beginning from the intensity. Definitely no dulling down, then again the dose may explain that.

I really do consider these kind of experiences a much better medication than hardcore pharms like lithium for people such as myself. They poison your body constantly and can just as easily make things worse instead of helping. It's not for everybody, and certainly not solo like I prefer to do..but psychedelics shouldn't be dismissed as just another drug when they can do wonders for some people.

Anyway, end of mini-rant. Many pleasant journeys to all of you.

Thanks for the info, though others should keep in mind that at more common doses the dulling is more expected. On the turnside, always be very careful with compensating with large doses especially if you are not an experienced tripper like CN.

Glad you sound like it was a fine experience, CN.

Merging your thread into the mushrooms & benzo combo subthread for future reference. FYI this can be found using the Psychedelic Index and checking the Big & Dandy Mushrooms Thread - for CN's future reference ;) .

ive taken 3mg xanax with a low tolerance at the time with an 8th of mush, and it was really fun but it went by way to fast and it was hard to remember the trip