View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Combining opiates with psychedelics?

Aeon Psyche

Bluelighter
I can't remember I ever tried such combination. Who here has and what was it like? I was thinking of trying something mild like 4-aco-malt with opium..

I have not tried that combination.

To me, opiates were very numbing, and I was not conscious in terms of what was going on in my head at all, which is a contrast with the psychedelic experience. As a result, I would expect the combination to be shitty, for myself anyways.

I've done the combination many times and I think it'll go differently for people depending on if they're currently addicted to opioids or only using them rarely. When you're addicted it seems both like a waste of opioids and is prone to bringing on lots of feelings of shame. Generally, the psychedelic will over power the opioid to the point where you won't feel any positive effects (aside from w/d relief) but the opioid will numb the trip to some extent. The opioid will help remove any anxiety you're feeling on the come-up/peak without muting the effects as much as a benzo would. The peaks won't seem as high and the two substances tend to fight each other for control of the experience when you attempt to stack their peaks. I could see the combination going very well for someone that is new to opioids or uses them very rarely but I would advise such a person not to get started with opioids in most cases.

That said, there is a lovely sweet spot. LSD and Morphine are wonderful together if you're willing to accept you won't get the best of both of them. A nod with a psychedelic flavor is a very interesting experience. Just be careful because it's possible to do too much of the opioid for lack of feeling it coming on. It's like a speedball in that respect although not as dangerous. I only managed to find this sweet spot once or twice in the decade that I was addicted to opioids. I much preferred saving the opioids for the come down or another day. I would usually not take my regular dose while on the psychedelic to avoid muting the peak. I would take maybe half my usual dose of the opioid before taking the psychedelic to avoid w/d on the peak and save the rest of my opioids for when I was coming down and shoot for a nod at that time if I wasn't already exhausted. If you're going to combine them the opioids tend to go better with a sedating psychedelic IME (although I'm the type that doesn't enjoy speedballs so opinions will vary).

All that said in my years of being on opioids I learned something: Opioids tend to combine well with any other substance if you're currently an addict.

I rarely use opioids now but one of the times I do use them outside of pain relief is on the come-down of substances when I need sleep. Opioids probably work better than anything (including benzos) for coming down off things like MDMA and LSD. They relax you without taking away all of the benefits of the come down/afterglow and allow one to easily find sleep. Since I'm an addict I usually try to stick to things like Kratom and Hydrocodone for this purpose these days but I'd by lying if I said I wouldn't prefer morphine or oxymorphone if I had it laying around. Which is the main problem with opioids, once you decide you really enjoy them it's hard to say no if they're around and easy to get back to full blown addiction after only a few days of use. It's always easy to invent an excuse to partake.

Explore with caution. You'll no doubt have a good time with an opioid + psychedelic combination despite their ability to numb the trip. Always look up interactions before using them with new substances. Be aware that dissos like K and opioids will make the opioid feel/come on a lot stronger than it normally would and caution should be taken just like one would take with a benzo+opioid combo. It's very easy to take too much of an opioid and slip into a nod you won't come out of especially if you're getting your pills off the street these days. That's the main reason I stopped fooling around with them other than the costs; Almost everything is popping positive for fentanyl these days including the xanax bars and oxycodone pills that are being sold in my local area. A test kit is a good idea if you aren't getting a prescription filled yourself. I wouldn't even fool with heroin now a days because I can't remember the last time I saw anything but "China White" going around.

It has been a loooooong time since I've done/seen opium in my area but I remember it being very lovely like morphine so I think it would combine pretty well. Plus since you're smoking it (I assume) it'll be easy to gauge how you're feeling and when you've had enough of it for the session. I always got morphine dreams when I smoked opium back in my teenage years so I imagine it's probably one of the better ones to attempt doing a combination with. Just be careful and if you're opioid naive try to have a sitter around.

No, i just eat my opium. I prefer it this way. And for as far as combining ketamine with opiates, I always loved it mixed with methadone, as I wasn't an addict at the time I enjoyed methadone more than most opiates, and especially with ketamine or alike.

I can't remember the last time I didn't combine an opioid with psychs, and I don't have a habit these days. I simply feel opioids remove the unwanted negative effects and increase the positivity. LSD and hydrocodone is probably my favorite experience of all time.

I was addicted to opiates for a long time and all of my trips from 2003 to 2013 were combined with opiates, like probably literally every one. When you're addicted it's different than if you're not. I needed them to not feel like shit. That being said, I found the combination generally quite pleasurable, but at the same time, it dulled the sharp edges, which made it more easily recreational but kind of dulled the teaching aspect.

Come to think of it, I've never combined them when I wasn't addicted to opiates.

Also, what perpetualdawn said. I've seen SO MANY people who used to be a part of this community succumb to opiates. I did too, fortunately an ibogaine experience snapped me out of it. I consider it a miracle. They had me so bad...

Anyway, generally people say that opiates will dull the trip somewhat. It's not like benzos where it actually partially or fully kills the trip, it's more like it becomes more fuzzy, less clear, less meaningful.

If you want to combine a feel-good drug with psychedelics, the best I've found for it is phenibut. It doesn't kill the trip or dull it at all but it makes it much easier to have a positive mindstate and it smooths out any bodyload. Of course phenibut is also addictive, but opiates are far more insidious.

I was addicted to opiates for a long time and all of my trips from 2003 to 2013 were combined with opiates, like probably literally every one. When you're addicted it's different than if you're not. I needed them to not feel like shit. That being said, I found the combination generally quite pleasurable, but at the same time, it dulled the sharp edges, which made it more easily recreational but kind of dulled the teaching aspect.

Come to think of it, I've never combined them when I wasn't addicted to opiates.

Also, what perpetualdawn said. I've seen SO MANY people who used to be a part of this community succumb to opiates. I did too, fortunately an ibogaine experience snapped me out of it. I consider it a miracle. They had me so bad...

Anyway, generally people say that opiates will dull the trip somewhat. It's not like benzos where it actually partially or fully kills the trip, it's more like it becomes more fuzzy, less clear, less meaningful.

If you want to combine a feel-good drug with psychedelics, the best I've found for it is phenibut. It doesn't kill the trip or dull it at all but it makes it much easier to have a positive mindstate and it smooths out any bodyload. Of course phenibut is also addictive, but opiates are far more insidious.

Interesting story. I have heard that one a lot, of a single psychedelic/dissociative trip knocking people off a life long habit. It was the case for me twice, for different things.

Really is frightening/exciting at the same time, since it shows we really don't know a whole lot about how these things work with the reward systems in our brains. I've become kind of nervous that I'll lose something like my sexual desires coming out of a trip as a result of thinking like this.

I combine opiates with psychedelics every time i trip. As long as i dose my Bupe early in the day and a little lower than normal it's fine. I have full on psychedelic experiences every time I dose. Something like benzos effect it much more than opiates do.

In fact i used to like using Heroin on the comedown from an LSD trip. But this was back when that wad surely what you we're getting. Buying dope now is like Russian Roulette. But anyways im on opioid maintenance and yes i trip face :D

When you're addicted to opiates it's different, they just make you normal instead of a shivering miserable mess, so combining them is different than it is for people who don't normally use opiates.

Really is frightening/exciting at the same time, since it shows we really don't know a whole lot about how these things work with the reward systems in our brains. I've become kind of nervous that I'll lose something like my sexual desires coming out of a trip as a result of thinking like this.

Well ibogaine in particular acts on opiate receptors, and it blocks withdrawal and since you're taking like 150 times the active dose, it takes quite a few half-lives to clear, and the the nor-ibogaine acts as an energizing antidepressant afterwards for even longer. Ibogaine seems uniquely suited to kicking opiate addiction in particular. But yeah, any strong experience can do it. Some people do it without psychedelics too.

I wouldn't worry about losing your sexual desire or anything like that. I felt like ibogaine just reset my subconscious patterns I had and I was able to be myself again without this insane self-destructive thought process anymore. I knew it would come back if I didn't work at it. But I had this amazingly strong motivation to work out, get in shape, start playing music again, eat right... I did those things and as a result I turned my life around.

Im physically dependant on opioids and take methadone everyday, that said, more then once ive dosed 4 aco dmt at 4-5 AM and then dosed my methadone dose
(110 mgs) an hour after. I do this as it greatly helps reduce any gastrointestinal side effects like diarrhea, cramps and gas and bloating. also it gives me a stoning calm euphoria. obviously im on methadone maintenance, so do not take methadone in any dose above 10 mgs id say if you have 0 tolerance.

but all in all, I think small doses of opioids (large doses in my particular case) can help alleviate some of the discomfort caused by tryptamines. from stomach complaints to muscle aches

I've got a buddy who will smoke Percocet while tripping. I live in the Opiate capitol of America. Pretty much everyone I trip with (aside from myself) is usually on some sort of opiate while they trip. Never heard them complain about it.

People smoke percocet? Sounds like a dumb thing to do, super wasteful and it would last way shorter.

Congrats on staying off opiates in the opiate capital of America. Seriously, keep it up, opiates are a terrible trap to fall into. So many people never get out.

People smoke percocet? Sounds like a dumb thing to do, super wasteful and it would last way shorter.

Congrats on staying off opiates in the opiate capital of America. Seriously, keep it up, opiates are a terrible trap to fall into. So many people never get out.

Wasteful? You don't even know the half of it! This dude and his girlfriend will go through 6 or 7 perc 30's a night! (And they don't get a prescription. They buy them for 30 a pop. That's 210 dollars down the drain 2 or 3 times a week!) You, me, and anyone else with even a basic knowledge of pills knows that there ain't no way in hell you're gonna snort, eat, or bang 7 perc 30's in one night unless you're an absolutely monster of an addict. You'd probably nod out before you got to the 3rd or 4th one. But they're addicted to the ritual. Like most addicts.

And I'm just lucky. I was born with a brain that absolutely hates the "stoned" feeling of downers. I hate being artificially relaxed. Hate being even mildly dizzy. The "pros" of that are keeping me from doing opiates or drinking. The "cons" are that I also hate the feeling of pot. So that stinks.

Last edited: