• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Cold affecting my codeine dosing!

Mofie

Greenlighter
I am heavily addicted to codeine, on a 500mg dose doing CWE's on cocodamol each day. I have been using potentiators recently and experimenting with ways to make my experience better, as I've built up such a tolerance it's barely touching me anymore - but I am still getting something out of it. Anyway, I've had a cold over the last couple of days, it's not even that bad I have certainly been iller! My cold seems to be stopping my enjoyment of my codeine doses however. Usually I can still feel a bit euphoric and then later in the night get a nice nod going before eventually falling asleep. It isn't working at the moment and I'm wondering if it's me taking cold and flu caps, and if they are interfering with the codeine being metabolised or something....the tablets are just paracetamol, phenylephrine (which I've read online is actually meant to potentiate codeine!) and caffeine - Is it the caffeine? Because I drink a lot of coffee and it has never affected a high before! Anyone had any experiences like this, can you tell me how to keep my CWE experience enjoyable while I am ill? TIA, also, I am new here so..HI :D X

Ive not heard of this before. Im on a similar dose to you - 500 - 600mg and recently taken cold remedies but didn't notice that it made any difference. Could it be that your tolerance has just increased so your not feeling it?

Just a heads up, a cwe is still gonna leave at least 400-700mg of paracetamol per 100ml, more if your technique isn't on point, so it's something to consider when combining with paracetamol containing flu meds.

I've always wondered why so many codeine products also contain caffeine in the uk though, so you could be onto something, but I don't know personally.

Also I do 600mgs a day and drink a lot of coffee, I do find drinking more weakens my peak and makes me feel nauseous.

Thanks for the replies - It turns out I was mistaking phenylephrine for guaifinesen (sp) which is in some cold meds. Over the cold now, well, the worst of it. i think it was just my symptoms that were stopping me feeling okay on the codeine that day, just a really bad cold I guess! Thanks for the heads up about the CWE, I have a good filtration method but I know it's not 100% and I don't usually take any other paracetamol products when I CWE, I have to admit I wasn't thinking straight this time around with this cold so thanks for reminding me :)

i love codeine I do 600mg a day ,it might be your tolerance how long have you been on 500mg a day for ? try having some poppy seed tea to go with it as it contains morphine and have it about an hour after codeine dose so you can convert the maximum amount of codeine before ingesting more codeine/morphine in my experience it makes the high way stronger then codeine alone :)

Is Codeine your DoC? Prescribed? Or is it the only opiate you have access to?
I'm asking because you take a pretty large amount of the drug.
Why don't you switch to something a little more potent, like Hydrocodone?
I know this is a harm reduction website, and I'm not telling you to switch to something like Hydrocodone to make your addiction worse, nothing like that at all.

Codeine Demon is right, even with CWE, you're still left with plenty of the unwanted APAP.
By switching to Hydrocodone, you can take less of the drug and still get your desired effects of opiate induced euphoria.

The ONLY reason I'm talking about the switch to Hydrocodone is because of how much APAP you're ingesting unknowingly.
APAP, as you already know, is your livers worst nightmare.

Stay safe.

Methacodone - I understand what you are saying completely, it's just that codeine and occasionally dihydrocodeine are the only opiates I have access to. I can reduce my dose when I take DHC instead but it's so expensive. In fact, that's getting out of hand for me now too, I'm experimenting with poppy tea but can't find a good source of seeds or pods!

Last edited:
For me, a cold will always reduce the feel of the opiate.

For example, if I'm taking 60mg of Methadone every day. The days where I'm sick I'll definitely feel a diminished effect from my regular dose.

You being sick takes away from the euphoria/opiate feeling. Though, it does tremendously help with not feeling as sick as you'd feel if you were a regular person with no opiates in your system.

You'll see a lot of opiate addicts saying that when they're on opiates they never get sick. They do get sick, they just don't feel as much as they do when they're sober. Opiates are great at covering up a cold or a flu.