• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Codeine Recreational?

Ploomf

Greenlighter
New user to the website, Lurked a lot for information on other substances..
sorry if this is not the correct place to post this topic.

I'm not new to drugs, I often take psychedelics in large doses and enjoy the experiences.
I have recently become interested in understanding the state you would be in drinking this "lean" stuff, I understand it's a codeine and promethazine mix of cough syrup normally..
but in the UK I can't really get hold of the right type of cough syrup to just do that...

So how could I potentially whip up a homemade version of a codeine based drink that I could use to get into the same or a similar state to that of the actual branded syrups.
I've thought about cold water extraction with the codeine etc, I just don't want to overdose on the amounts etc, How much should I actually use for just 1 dose for myself?
I've heard it's typically drunk with alcohol as well, I've always thought there was a serious danger mixing chemicals from pills etc with alcohol..

This is something I would like to try just the once for clarity of the state it puts you in, I have no interest in becoming addicted to codeine or dying.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The whole "lean" phenomenon is much more a cultural phenomenon as a result of being directly referenced in hip-hop music.

You just need Codeine and a Sedating Antihistamine. Any will do really. OTC or RX, it is not important. These are the only two ingredients that matter. The 7Up and Jolly Ranchers are optional.

You really just need an Opioid and a Sedating Antihistamine. So long as you take an appropriate dosage, the experiences will be fairly indistinguishable.

You have little to no experience with this sort of thing?

100mg - 200mg Codeine MAXIMUM

25mg - 50mg Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)

Ganja - If you want the full experience of drinking Lean in a trap house, you will need to smoke weed.

Lean is Codeine and Promethazine, you can just get them separately and then take them together.

What has happened to just raiding the local pharmacy for to the robotripping on dxm when you ran outta dust to smoke..
good old days

Just reiterating what has been said above really, but as you're in the UK, you can buy a pack of 32 x 8/500 co-codamol and a pack of 56 x 25mg promethazine tablets OTC for less than a tenner (tip: dont try and buy both from the same pharmacy). Do a CWE on the co-codamol and neck the extract with the promethazine and Bob's yer uncle!

For a non tolerant user I'd recommend no more than 100 - 150mg of codeine and 50mg of promethazine. Do NOT mix with alcohol. As well as increasing the risk of fatal respiratory depression, alcohol can often ruin the opiate high.

For the CWE, you'd need about 15 - 20 of the 8/500 co-codamols to allow for losses during the extraction.

The principle behind this combination is that promethazine is a 1st generation antihistamine which has sedative properties in it's own right, but also induces the liver enzyme CYP2D6 which is responsible for coverting the codeine into morphine. Therefore, the promethazine potentiates the codeine as well as adding another sedative into the mix.

As for your statement "this is something I'd like to try just the once", famous last words my friend. Don't underestimate the addictive potential of codeine.

Also, as Keif said, smoking weed on top will complete the 'experience'.

As an aside, methadone and cyclizine (another 1st generation antihistamine) used to be very popular amongst UK addicts, and much more potent.

Promethazine is not sold in my location. From first gen. antihistamines only Clemastine is widely available. Would that work?

^Diphenhydramine and Dimenhydrinate aren't available at all? Either would work fine. The latter is sold as an anti-emetic in the US, maybe check that out.

Diphenhydramine is available as a gel for local anti-histamine effect. Active ingredient is only diphenhydramine, but it also includes cetylpyridinium chloride, macrogol-6 glycerol caprylocaprate, polyacrylaic acid, trometamol. 1 g of this gel contains 10 mg of diphenhydramine.

I will investigate these supplemental materials on my own. But if someone could help, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Regarding clemastine, here's what I found:

It is an inhibitor of cytochrome P450 CYP2D6 and may interfere with other drugs metabolized by this isozyme.
wikipedia

Per @F.U.B.A.R. above:
The principle behind this combination is that promethazine is a 1st generation antihistamine which has sedative properties in it's own right, but also induces the liver enzyme CYP2D6 which is responsible for coverting the codeine into morphine.

So, clemastine is not appropriate, it seems.

Answering my own question about gel above:

cetylpyridinium chloride - it's fine, used in toothpaste.
macrogol-6 glycerol caprylocaprate - haven't found anything specific. Macrogol on it's own is used for treating constipation. Maybe fine?
polyacrylaic acid - not good. Used in cosmetics, "with the ability to absorb and retain water and swell to many times their original volume.".
trometamol - also some kind of cosmetics thing, for keeping gel being gel. Besides that it "Tris inhibits a number of enzymes". But it "is used as alternative to sodium bicarbonate in the treatment of metabolic acidosis", so maybe good?

As an aside, methadone and cyclizine (another 1st generation antihistamine) used to be very popular amongst UK addicts, and much more potent.

@F.U.B.A.R. , In my country there is cyclomorph witch is impossible to get.
But I'm on methadone 80mg and wondering how would i get cyclizine? Is it easily prescribed or in any product OTC that i could get?

Can some kind and knowledgeable soul help me find out if I am OK mixing 5g if this gel into CWE'd codein?

Diphenhydramine is available as a gel for local anti-histamine effect. Active ingredient is only diphenhydramine, but it also includes cetylpyridinium chloride, macrogol-6 glycerol caprylocaprate, polyacrylaic acid, trometamol. 1 g of this gel contains 10 mg of diphenhydramine.

I will investigate these supplemental materials on my own. But if someone could help, I would appreciate it.
Answering my own question about gel above:

cetylpyridinium chloride - it's fine, used in toothpaste.
macrogol-6 glycerol caprylocaprate - haven't found anything specific. Macrogol on it's own is used for treating constipation. Maybe fine?
polyacrylaic acid - not good. Used in cosmetics, "with the ability to absorb and retain water and swell to many times their original volume.".
trometamol - also some kind of cosmetics thing, for keeping gel being gel. Besides that it "Tris inhibits a number of enzymes". But it "is used as alternative to sodium bicarbonate in the treatment of metabolic acidosis", so maybe good?

@F.U.B.A.R. , In my country there is cyclomorph witch is impossible to get.
But I'm on methadone 80mg and wondering how would i get cyclizine? Is it easily prescribed or in any product OTC that i could get?

In theory cyclizine is still available OTC in the UK (not sure about Ireland though). But getting served with some is probably easier said than done...

Cyclizine is OTC here. not to any use personally but never a single soul mentioned ever using it.

One friend of mine is on Methadone and never talks about Cyclizine. He loves discussing drugs and what he can get and get's prescribed.

So either Cyclizine is shite or the dope head's are.

Cyclizine is OTC here.
Here as in Ireland? Which product

So either Cyclizine is shite or the dope head's are.

Most likely the latter. Cyclize potentiates Methadone a LOT. There's a med called Cyclomorph, usually in injection solution. It's Cyclizne + Morphine and is very strong, I've never met anyone that got it, or even knows about it tbh. Only heard about it from one old schooler friend and seen it in the MIMS

Great stuff. Though I noticed I am more indifferent to my immediate family on it. But now I consciously account for that, so I think I am OK.