• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine, Oxycodone and tramadol

dudunabo2002

Greenlighter
Ive recently watched a video where a doctor states that people who dont ``metabolize`` codeine into morphine arent able to do the same to tramadol or oxycodone (oxycodone turns into oxymorphone in a normal person). Is this true?

I believe they are all metabolized in the liver by the same enzyme (CYP2D6). Sooo I think it's safe to say that yes, it is true. Some people are just naturally poor metabolizers and don't benefit much from prodrugs.

Somewhat unrelated, but I find the recreational effects of codeine don't come from morphine conversion, they seem to come from codeine 3 and 6 glucuronide. I hazard this guess because CYP 2D6 inhibitors, such as fluoxetine, do not block the codeine high for me, and I've used codeine many times, both with fluoxetine and without it. I think the subjective codeine euphoria definitely comes from enzymic conversion, but I believe it's a different enzyme which converts to codeine 3 and 6 glucuronide. The most important things to facilitate a codeine high in my experience are taking in the morning, before taking any food, after having slept a lot the night before, and having eaten a lot the night before. If I don't eat much the night before, the codeine will not get me high in the morning. I've taken codeine for years, and always found this to be the case. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

Yes, all three are metabolized by CYP2D6
From what I've read people who can't metabolize codeine into morphine still get some effects, maybe due to other metabolites (iirc only around 10% of codeine is metabolized into morphine). Oxycodone is active on its own and only around 5% gets metabolized into oxymorphone, so while oxymorphone is stronger it shouldn't make much of a difference. Tramadol is metabolized into O-Desmethyltramadol, a more potent opioid receptor agonist with NRI effects, while tramadol itself is a weak opioid receptor agonist with SRI effects, so if you're a poor metabolizer effects will be reduced

Yes, all three are metabolized by CYP2D6
From what I've read people who can't metabolize codeine into morphine still get some effects, maybe due to other metabolites (iirc only around 10% of codeine is metabolized into morphine). Oxycodone is active on its own and only around 5% gets metabolized into oxymorphone, so while oxymorphone is stronger it shouldn't make much of a difference. Tramadol is metabolized into O-Desmethyltramadol, a more potent opioid receptor agonist with NRI effects, while tramadol itself is a weak opioid receptor agonist with SRI effects, so if you're a poor metabolizer effects will be reduced

Does that mean that I still have a chance of getting high on oxycodone even though I dont feel anything when I take codeine/tramadol??

You should be able to get high on oxy. Like kleiner had said it's active on its own and only a small percentage is turned into -morphone.

IME I metabolize extremely well so it definitely depends like most have said. Tramadol for instance used to get me higher than a kite, on par with oxy. Codeine too. My tolerance is H now though (which is also a prodrug which I had not known, past the diacetyl addition to morphine).