• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine itchy & Hydrocodone itchy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieAssassin

Bluelighter
I just have a quick question, maybe someone can answer. (I did scroll through the archives but didn't see what I was looking for)

When ever I take codeine I get itchy as hell, just like a lot of people out there do, but when I take hydrocodone I get no itch at all or slightly itchy at the most. So that is basically my question...Why does codeine make one itch way more than hydrocodone or even other opiates like oxycodone for that matter? I know it's an allergic reaction of some sort but then why is hydrocodone different in that aspect. Is it the difference in the chemical make up of codeine? Enough about that, any answers, theories, etc. will be appreciated.

Once I get the answer the thread can be closed, Thank You =D

It's because semi-synthetic opioid medications like the *codone and *morphone family tend to produce less histamine reactions compared to the naturally occurring opiate alkaloids like codeine and morphine, YMMV.

Thank you, I had an idea that it was do to the "make up" of the those opiates but I wasn't 100% sure of what it exactly was that caused the reaction. I appreciate the answer. :D

Yeah it's because codeine has the largest histamine reaction , this can be avoided by taking an antihistamine . Also , sedating antihistamines synergise with codeine quite well .

OD > BDD*?

Last edited:
Nah it doesn't really fit in there as CWE isn't even mentioned in this thread, and we're discussing hydrocodone as well.

I agree that diphenhydramine or another antihistamine would be beneficial but probably wouldn't completely take care of the itching.

You just gotta learn to love the itch! Haha sometimes I itch my nose so much it's nearly raw by the end of the session but honestly itching my arms and legs while on opiates feels pretty good. It's like adding the itch just so you can have the satisfaction that comes with the scratch :)

To an extent yeah, but for example codeine, I rarely can enjoy that because of the histamine response, even with loads of various antihistamines, it's unbearable. I don't enjoy it at all, but I love morphine's itch, it's much more tolerable.

I LOVVVEEE opiate itchies !

its ALWAYS my nose and my penis and the area that surrounds it.

To an extent yeah, but for example codeine, I rarely can enjoy that because of the histamine response, even with loads of various antihistamines, it's unbearable. I don't enjoy it at all, but I love morphine's itch, it's much more tolerable.

I've actually never extensively experimented with codeine before but from what I hear the itch can be quite intrusive. My primary opiate is hydrocodone and even still, it can be somewhat bothersome! I swear 80% of the itch is concentrated in my nose and balls... this is the only instance where the two have any direct correlation :)

Cock and balls, nose, chest, neck, biceps and arms. In order from most itchy to least itchy :p

Sweet, sweet ballsack itchies. I rub and massage one part of my nutsack like one would gesture for money with thumb and index finger, more enjoyable than the hydrocodone high itself, imo. Then I grab a backscratcher and go to town on my whole back. =D

But histamine releases get old quick, imo. Same old response, it's like, "damnit, not this again, I just wanna enjoy my high without constantly scratching my itch."

I just lightly graze and massage my balls with my fingernails and fingertips, sometimes I apply topical DPH lotion to them periodically. Ya dont want to scratch too hard and provoke more histamine responses.

I like to run a finger/fingernail lightly up and down my cock when opiated, but I'm more aggressive with the sack.

Nothing like getting your balls and back scratched by your GF while in nodsville, can be better than sex on opiates IMO.

Kinda like how on MDMA, it feels better to snuggle up than to fuck hardcore.

The real sex drug IMO would be methamp, but I don't mean to stray offtopic.

haha i dont usually get a very bad histamine reaction on codeine , just a pleasant one :) , but on oxy i nearly scratched my fucking face off and the nose itch WOULD NOT fuck off . spent the whole time (except when i was nodding too hard) scratching my nose , it wasnt that bad but it was just SO persistant .

For me, the intense histamine response brought on by 300+mg of codeine is absolutely hellish. A couple Zyrtec knock it down considerably, but I still find the buzz not worth it, so I only use codeine in smaller (~60mg) amounts to knock the edge off a bad mood, or of course, for pain.

Hydrocodone, for me, has that "nice" itch, and a really good depression lifting buzz, but remember to rub, not scratch, yourself.

I remember one time I took 8 30mg codeine pills and I was out an about doing some stuff and all of a sudden it hit my like a ton of bricks....(the itchiness). Mainly my head, and it felt like it was getting warm an my face felt like it was flushed. I ran to the closest pharmacy and picked up a box of Benadryl and I could hardly contain myself standing in line. Once I paid for them an got out of the store I popped like 4 of them right off the bat, an slowly the hell I was in started going away. An by an hour I was back to normal. I will never for get that though. One of the crappiest times I've ever had. I literally wanted to scratch the skin off my scalp. I know this thread is really old but I just remembered that miserable story and had to share it. Never again will I ever do Codeine and not have benadryl readily available while using Codeine. Fucking lesson learned I guess. Anyways, for all those people out there that get screwed like that when taking Codeine, please make sure you have some Benadryl on hand and definitely pop a few of those bad boys 30 mins before hand, trust my you will thank your self later.

Mike :)

Welcome to the world of opioids, and all the semi annoying/enjoyable side effects. you'll get used to it dude. If you do too much. There will be more to worry about than itching.

Wow I came to this site looking for answers after hurting my knee n was prescribed codiene, I neck, shoulders, chest, arms, wrist, hands, back even my ass n thighs. I was freaking thinking I'm having a severe allergic reaction and all I got was a bunch of people bragging how much they love this UNBAREABLE ITCH!! That is just crazy!! Glad everyone is proud n not ashamed of drug abuse!!

Status
Not open for further replies.