• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

codeine insuffilated

enoughorangejuice?

Bluelighter
Many folks on here speak about the dangers of insuffilating (snorting) codeine. However others claim to have done it for years. On wikipedia's page for codeine under routes of administration it lists: oral, intra-nasally, intra-rectally, SC, IM

What is the truth about codeine being administered intra-nasally, snorted, etc?

Codeine can be administered oraly, rectaly and IM injection, codeine should never be insufflated (snorted), smoked or injected IV other wise it can cause ill effects and sometimes even death.

------

Down further on the page under recreational use it says that so I'm assuming those who claim to have done it with no adverse effects were lucky or lying.

The reason you shouldn't snort or IV codeine is because it can cause pulmonary edema (fluid build-up in the lungs). Sure, many people have snorted codeine without any obvious negative effects, but I wouldn't risk it.

Codeine doesn't cause any high if you snort it. It has to be metabolized in the liver and turned into morphine in order to work. No harm in doing it but it would be a waste.

Like sonic said though IVing it is very dangerous and can cause death.

it blocks up ya nose something chronic,, i dont advise insulfating it,, do a CWE and put it in gelcaps and plug it or swallow it

paranoid android said:
Codeine doesn't cause any high if you snort it. It has to be metabolized in the liver and turned into morphine in order to work. No harm in doing it but it would be a waste.

Like sonic said though IVing it is very dangerous and can cause death.
Actually, doesn't everything you rail end up getting metabolised in your liver anyways?

dranseth said:
also, what about codeine nasal sprays?
Eh? Does such a thing exist? If so, where? I know of Stadol nose spray, but that is Butorphanol. Never heard of codeine nose spray.

DON'T BE STUPID - YOU MIGHT DIE.

do not snort or IV codeine. its not worth the risks. just eat it or get something else.

Last edited:
sonic said:
The reason you shouldn't snort or IV codeine is because it can cause pulmonary edema (fluid build-up in the lungs). Sure, many people have snorted codeine without any obvious negative effects, but I wouldn't risk it.

Why does this happen with these ROA's, faster onset?

dranseth said:
Actually, doesn't everything you rail end up getting metabolised in your liver anyways?
Eventually. Certain roa's(iv'ing, smoking, intranasal, etc) avoid the first pass effect. That means the majority of the drug enters your blood where it gets taken to various places before it can be "filtered" by your liver.

paranoid android said:
i was under the impression that you dont have to swallow a drug for it to be metabolized by the liver. no matter what ROA you use it gets into the bloodstream and eventually the liver, no?
temporary error said:
Eh? Does such a thing exist? If so, where? I know of Stadol nose spray, but that is Butorphanol. Never heard of codeine nose spray.
you make it. any water-soluble drug that can be snorted can be dissolved in water the put in an empty nasal-spray bottle and there ya go..
sonic said:
just curious, why does this happen with codeine and not other insuffulated opiates? furthermore, why doesnt this happen with oral codeine? im not too hip on the mechanisms of codeine.. never really use it personally.

I believe the main problem in snorting codeine is the actual drug getting into your lungs and then causing a histamine release. If the drug were to go 100% only on your mucus membranes it can't be dangerous. I really think it can cause nasty shit when it gets straight in your lungs though. Don't blow too hard.

i did it once. insufflated 100mg on top of 700mg oral dose when i had a proper opiate tolerance. don't know if it did something or not but i was nicely high.

Boiling in Acid said:
i did it once. insufflated 100mg on top of 700mg oral dose when i had a proper opiate tolerance. don't know if it did something or not but i was nicely high.

that was a waste, can't you only metabolize like 400mgs at a time?