• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine - how to continue the withdrawal?

Hello, Dear Bluelight Users.

For 3 years I have been "closely related" to codeine - I started with doses of 150 mg at once and ended up with doses of more than one gram. In Poland, from where I write, we have a drug called "Thiocodin", a combination of codeine and sulfogwajacol, designed to treat coughs, without a prescription. The only limitation is the possibility to buy one pack (there is a variant of 16 tablets in a pack) in one pharmacy. In Poland, pharmacies in larger cities can be found several in each street. So it is not a problem to organize a high dose.

I am terribly tired of organizing doses above one gram every day. Anyway, I feel that the codeine has taken over my life for good. Yesterday I took 240 mg of codeine + 300 mg of DXM at one time - I didn't actually feel either. This morning I woke up with a slight anxiety and watery diarrhea, but I cannot say that I have full abstinence symptoms. You can live, you can write posts on Bluelight. :)

Today I am going to jump on 150 mg of codeine + 450 mg DXM. I hope that this second substance will allow me to leave safely, without any major difficulties. How do you want to keep it going, Dear Users, so that you don't come back to it again? I'm committed to permanently abandoning the codeine, not to reducing tolerance.

It's great that you're getting off codeine but just be careful with that DXM dose. I don't know what kind of DXM formulations you have in Poland but in the US and many other places most products with DXM will have another drug mixed in with it. Just make sure that the product you're using only has DXM as an active ingredient.

Believe me, being free from the shackles of opiate addiction is reward enough. Good luck, stick with it

This morning I woke up with a slight anxiety and watery diarrhea, but I cannot say that I have full abstinence symptoms.

Thats probably the DXM if you drank a cough mixture with sorbitol in it, all I had from drinking a huge bottle of DXM was watery diarreah and insomnia, anxiety and bad thoughts, flashbacks

Its not for me, I don't know how robbo trippers can drink that and not be sat on the toilet for half their trip

It's great that you're getting off codeine but just be careful with that DXM dose. I don't know what kind of DXM formulations you have in Poland but in the US and many other places most products with DXM will have another drug mixed in with it. Just make sure that the product you're using only has DXM as an active ingredient.

Believe me, being free from the shackles of opiate addiction is reward enough. Good luck, stick with it

Thanks for the advice! In Poland there is a drug "Acodin" with dextromethorphan Hbr - without additives. The drug is available without a prescription, just like the one with codeine. So there is no risk of overdosing any other substance.

Thats probably the DXM if you drank a cough mixture with sorbitol in it, all I had from drinking a huge bottle of DXM was watery diarreah and insomnia, anxiety and bad thoughts, flashbacks

Its not for me, I don't know how robbo trippers can drink that and not be sat on the toilet for half their trip

DXM is eliminating the symptoms of withdrawal syndrome im my case. I can't feel 300 mg of DXM, I want to increase it to make the therapy more effective. Besides, I feel like I'm feeling good enough today that I'll probably give up today's dose of codeine. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Isn't it like taking any dose of opioid resetting all the time it takes to end acute withdrawal syndrome? I wonder if it's better to just drop the codeine supplementation and try to get through this without it.

Taper codeine with codeine it just turns into.morphine.
I never found codeine withdrawak to be horribke but never took.more than 240mg a day alqays in one go aswwll and with short half.life dont yhink.my body fot madly addicted. I did fwwl strange from 249 codeine to ten.mg.morphine i remenber.
Or switch to.low dose.tramadol or.loperamide for a day or two then cut it off.
Codeine is.mild it is the weakest paijnkiller if used in prwscubed doses very small chance of hsving horribke withdrawals imo sixty mg codeine is six ti ten.mg.morphine sometimes.mlre.sometimes less.

Hello!

It's just been 5 days. Since yesterday, I feel completely normal. Yesterday I still had a little diarrhea, but I managed to eat something pretty much. In general, I eat much less, apparently you can see it after a slight change of silhouette. I am not hiding that the codeine strongly intensified my appetite.

For now I don't feel the need to return to taking codeine. I have a good attitude - I take diphenhydrinamine for the night - I slept a little more than 6 hours, which means I can stand it.

The first phase of the fight is behind me, time for the next round. Wish me luck. :)

For now I don't feel the need to return to taking codeine. I have a good attitude - I take diphenhydrinamine for the night - I slept a little more than 6 hours, which means I can stand it.
You've done it well done you, all the best, I need sleeping pills to sleep too, if you want to wean off yours you can try a herbal tablet called Valerian Root, they're helpfull for people who are coming off certain drugs

Hello everyone!

Today is the 6th day. I feel completely fine, for the first time in a long time my stool looks absolutely healthy. During taking codeine (in Poland we have OTC drug with codeine and sulfogwajacol) I had mainly severe diarrhea.

I feel much better mentally - I can motivate myself to work, clean up. My fiancée was happy yesterday that I made nice appetisers for Netflix in the evening. It made me very happy.

The only problem is getting used to it - I always took codeine in the evening. When my fiancée falls asleep, I stay alone and feel the tension that makes me think: "or maybe taking it once won't spoil anything?" I explain to myself that this is the way to nowhere. I take diphenhydrinamine and fall asleep pretty quickly. That night I slept 10 hours with one break! I only suffer from some kind of tension when I wake up. But I feel like I'm gonna be okay, enjoying every day in sobriety.

Guaiacolsulfonate is pretty damaging at high dose chronic use. Were you just unaware of Antidol (15/500 codeine and paracetamol) being otc in Poland too? Far safer once a cold water extraction is performed, which you cant do with Guaiacolsulfonate containing tablets. That would explain your dodgy shits. I was a bit apprehensive about posting this info, for fear you'd see it as a temptation to go buy Antidol but you seem to be over the initial hump and hope this info can prevent others abusing Guaiacolsulfonate and codeine when a safer alternative is readily available (even cheaper, in most apteka)

I found weed to be a massive help when withdrawing from codeine (similar amount to you 1000-1500mg a day). Without it I'd certainly have failed and relapsed, it was the only thing I had to look forward to for the first few weeks. Knowing I had something for the end of the day that would lighten my mood and help me sleep/relax was vital. The mornings and day time was fine, but I'd find that while I woke up feeling good and normal with endless energy, as the day went on I'd start to feel lingering withdrawal symptoms. By evening I was feeling quite shit and needed weed to actually relax/sleep. This lasted a bit longer than I'd hoped, but by day 14 I was 100%.

I found weed to be a massive help when withdrawing from codeine (similar amount to you 1000-1500mg a day). Without it I'd certainly have failed and relapsed, it was the only thing I had to look forward to for the first few weeks. Knowing I had something for the end of the day that would lighten my mood and help me sleep/relax was vital. The mornings and day time was fine, but I'd find that while I woke up feeling good and normal with endless energy, as the day went on I'd start to feel lingering withdrawal symptoms. By evening I was feeling quite shit and needed weed to actually relax/sleep. This lasted a bit longer than I'd hoped, but by day 14 I was 100%.

Hey, thanks for the answer!

Yes, Antidol is sold in Poland. I know it, but I've never used it. I'm too lazy to play with the codeine extraction from this drug. I usually bought codeine with the intention of taking it quickly - Thiocodin was perfect for that. Buying -> hiding in the basement -> taking. I had my "temple of drugs" in the basement, where while taking 60-70 pills I watched some things on YouTube or Netflix, smoked cigarettes and so on. I miss this ritual a little bit. After that I would go home, lie down on the sofa and enjoy my condition. Recently, after taking it, I felt just "normal", without that initial euphoria that the codeine was giving me.

Today, in order not to think too much about it, I went to the office to work. I'm just sitting over client orders and trying to calm down. I think I'm doing pretty good. I wonder what it's gonna be like tonight...

Well, then we have a week without any codeine.

I only slept five hours that night, whatever rustle can wake me up. Once again, I woke up anxious, but full of strength and ready for action. I noticed that I was more productive than usual. More motivated.

There are moments when I think about taking. But I know that these are not my personal desires, but the effect of the damage caused by my addiction. I hope that with every day, it will pass.

Good to hear it man :)

I agree with @kaosisallwesee that weed is very helpful to replace your codeine ritual and to give yourself a much safer vice to wind down at the end of the day. It should help reduce cravings a lot.

Best of luck for the future.