• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Codeine histamine release

rolls

Ex-Bluelighter
I recently tried ~200mg of codeine via a CWE, I took it with 45mg of Diphenhydramine and still got a massive histamine releases making my face/chest/shoulders go bright red and get really really hot, the rest of my body got really itchy

Now I can do 20mg of oxycodone by itself without anymore then a mild itch, what would people recommend for an anti histamine with the codeine, should I just take a bigger dose of dph?

you could try taking a little more diphenhydramine, but i don't think you need to go past 75mg. Also try Claritin, (Loratidine 10mg) it's not sedating and supposedly lasts all day. Then again, what you've experienced could just be codeine for you, not quite up your alley, and I know i am just as meh about it too

Is it safe to mix two different anti-histamines at once with codeine?

some spray containing lidocaine is what you want. you can get it in every pharmacy. it stops the itching and has a soothing cooling sensation to it. plus you don't need to ingest more shit. you should give it a try, worked wonders for me :)

stay safe

There's no point in going above the recommended dose of diphenhydramine (50 mg/dose). I can't imagine 50 mg is going to do much for you if 45 isn't. Sounds like you may be allergic to it.

ALL opiates and most opioids release histamines BUT codeine is the worst offender. Anti-histamines are a good move but they will not cure it. Face it, if you want to play, you must pay one way or another. Good luck.

I want to add, clarification wise, that codeine allergies are not know to present via itching. If you are itching only, it is via histamines.

I agree... the itching is just part-and-parcel of Codeine. The sad thing is that if you keep using, tolerance will build up to the "euphoria" but not the histmine release... so if you want to keep codeine at all useful, better not overuse it.

One good thing about the diphenhydramine is that it will potentiate the codeine a little through enzyme inhibition.

ps. I do not see how lidocaine is useful, unless you shower with it every few minutes...

The itching isn't any worse then oxy with no anti histamine its the red burning sensation that bothers me.

I might just try a lower dose with some Claritin as well.

Jamshyd said:

ps. I do not see how lidocaine is useful, unless you shower with it every few minutes...

hm, when i get that sudden itchy-feeling i slap some on there, the coldness helps, it stops itching and soon i forget about it :D
i use it when i need it, sometimes 4 times in one hour and sometimes just once, but it helps ME for sure ;)

Hmm, apparently flushed hot skin is a side effect of dph. Maybe its causing the issues LOL.

rolls said:
Hmm, apparently flushed hot skin is a side effect of dph. Maybe its causing the issues LOL.

uhm what? Are you confusing dph with dxm? Source for this statement? i never even heard or read about that.

I don't mean to attack you or anything, but that seems a bit odd to me since dph is an ANTI-histamine, inhibiting the symptoms you mentioned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenhydramine

This leads to profound drowsiness as a very common side-effect, along with the possibilities of motor impairment (ataxia), dry mouth and throat, flushed skin

"Cessation of perspiration; consequent increased thermal dissipation through the skin leading to hot, red skin"

I just did ~190mg then with 50 of dph and I've experienced zero flush/itch this time. Much more enjoyable. No idea what caused it the first time.

mhhh, that's somewhat new to me. Maybe the flushed skin is caused by something different than the histamine. i never experienced anything like it and i've never seen it with friends. i use dph regulary, and even at 500mgs + i don't get flushed skin. oh well, i guess i just learned something new!

Thanks for the information and backing up your statement though, sometimes i wish more pepole would do that :)

and i'm glad you found a way to enjoy your codeine

cheers,
Rave

I wanted to state, and forgive me if I am repeating it here as there have been so many repeated threads lately , as opposed to any other time right? ...Histamine production is curtailed in every long terms user I met so those of you who think that this is the only thing standing between you and Heaven, take heart. Varies from person to person though as to when. Subjectively I can recall with certainty that by the 7th year of heavy addiction it was all gone. Today though, and this is sending me for a loop, all this friggin codeine via pods is itching the hell out of me. I feel like a kid again. That is what I should get for not extracting and purifying.

I take mirtazapine which is an antihistamine. I get very little itchies with codeine. I think it weakens opiates though.:(

Yeah I can't do more than 120mg codeine without a massive histamine release making my entire body (face and neck especially) look and feel like it's on fire, accompanied by very unpleasant swelling and itching. 50mg diphenhydramine has always been enough to take care of this for me, though.