• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine > colostomy bag

Michael_25

Bluelighter
Is it possible to tear your colon from abusing codeine in large quantities to the point one needs a colostomy bag? I read one vague article that states it has happened before. What are BLer's thoughts on this?

Is it possible to tear your colon from abusing codeine in large quantities to the point one needs a colostomy bag? I read one vague article that states it has happened before. What are BLer's thoughts on this?
I think that's when it's not pure codeine but codeine mixed with APAP or ibuprofen. I'm not sure about it though, correct me if im mistaken.

I can actually imagine this situation happening. Chronic opioid use with compulsive eating habits and dehydration leading to a complete bowel obstruction. User takes more opioids for the pain while continues his compulsive eating hoping he will eventually eat enough to help his intestines pass the blockage. Little does he know he as immobilized his GI tract and his colon ruptures and he is sent to the ER and must have a colostomy bag.

I think more potent opioids would be needed though for this to happen. Any opioid will slow GI movement, but high doses of codeine will undoubtedly lead to adverse reactions such as hives and other histamine complications that other opioids do not produce at large doses.

^ exactly.

Unless some other contributing factors are added to the high dosage Codeine use, it seems much less likely to effect the myenteric plexus enough to make that extreme an issue. Even Loperamide abusers come to an equilibrium unless eating habits include a poor diet and binging.

Stool softeners and/ or laxatives could probably help the situation before it spirals out of control leading to impaction or a Toxic Megacolon type issue.