• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine and Tramadol together?

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Hey buddies from Bluelight,

What's up? I've a question about Codeine and Tramadol.

Putting the potential serotonin syndrome aside, is it possible to take codeine and tramadol together?.

I understand that both substances are metabolized by the same enzyme, so taking together would not create an "overload" on this enzyme? Resulting in metabolizing less than what you take it.

And my other question is what should be take first? codeine or tramadol?

In case it is not advisable to take them on the same day or together, how long should I wait between my codeine day and my tramadol day?

Thank you my friends.

If you go this route dosing Tramadol first and Codeine after.

My experience with these two taken separately was that Tramadol is less forgiving when overdone. taking to much Tramadol ime is nauseous. To much Codeine is itchy/ sleeping on the couch.

So I would personally not go beyond 50 mg Tramadol and Codeine. The dosage codeine you could adjust to your liking (1/2 your usual dosage?) , but stay low on the Tramadol the first time you'll be trying this combo. As the nausea can be disastrous when overdone.

competitive inhibition is not that strong, but you need to try

tramadol for sure and don't redose them because its wast, codeine is inhibitor for CPY2D6 so after you take it by same time, your body will no longer able to metabolize tramadol or codeine to active metabolism

you can take them together, also they are cross tolerance so cycling them is wast of time.

I'm always able to answare your questions lol
you are welcome

I think I should take the tramadol first or not? To convert it into odesmethyltramadol and hence take the codeine?

And yes, you are always available to answer my questions. I think I better save myself and send you a PM.

Thank you.

I would take the codeine first because tramadol / venlafaxine are pretty strong 2D6 inhibitors based on my experiences, venlafaxine rendered codeine practically useless while tramadol is active on its own, while the metabolite O-DSMT is probably what you want but also the parent molecule has effects. Codeine on the other hand isn't active but metabolizes to morphine - yet has this been found to be also not the complete deal but a codeine-X-glucoroid metabolite to be a strong analgesic ... but analgesic isn't the same as euphoric, so YMMV.

I recommend codeine + dextromethorphan though if you want get wasted with OTC pharms.

Oh, also there's no risk for serotonin syndrome as codeine isn't serotonergic. It's a very rare condition anyways and usually only relevant with stronger MAOIs.

I would take the codeine first because tramadol / venlafaxine are pretty strong 2D6 inhibitors based on my experiences, venlafaxine rendered codeine practically useless while tramadol is active on its own, while the metabolite O-DSMT is probably what you want but also the parent molecule has effects. Codeine on the other hand isn't active but metabolizes to morphine - yet has this been found to be also not the complete deal but a codeine-X-glucoroid metabolite to be a strong analgesic ... but analgesic isn't the same as euphoric, so YMMV.

I recommend codeine + dextromethorphan though if you want get wasted with OTC pharms.

Oh, also there's no risk for serotonin syndrome as codeine isn't serotonergic. It's a very rare condition anyways and usually only relevant with stronger MAOIs.

Maybe that's why the last time I took Codeine (almost 600 mg) I didn't feel shit. Earlier that day, I had taken about 1200mg of tramadol and 5mg of diazepam. Maybe some of that tramadol ended up inhibiting the o-dsmt metabolism.

About tramadol being a potent CYP2D6 inhibitor, that is not counterproductive to the theory that tramadol is best taken in redosing. Perhaps it is best to take a 400mg dose of tramadol and wait for that to turn into o-dsmt.

IDK about Serotonin Syndrome, but that's what it said on DrugBank and Reddit (I can name it, right? hahaha). But those guys are most likely ignorant neckbeards.

@supersonic89 Never heard of that tramadol was best taken in redosing - maybe it is to avoid the seizure risk with higher doses (which some get more strongly than other, guess it's worse for 2D6 poor metabolizers).

Reddit, umm. Sometimes I posted on DrugNerds but quickly returned to bluelight, I don't like the anonymity of that page and the anonymous downvotes, as well as the people screaming drain bamage on every side effect but at the same time recklessly recommending and combining stuff ... I miss the old internet of little, 'personal' chatrooms and boards where once per month somebody new stumbled in and mostly remained active in the community for some time. This was much more like 'friends' than what we have now but BL at least reminds me of it.

Depending on your genetics, tramadol will kill codeine metabolism and thus the goodies (morphine and c-X-glucoronid both active metabolites of codeine are made through enzymes which tram blocks). Other way round too, codeine is a slight enzyme blocker but afaik less than tramadol- it's basically venlafaxine with added opioid features and venlafaxine for sure kills both tramadol and codeine. So best might be to take them TOGETHER.

Tramadol is not CYP2D6 inhibitor and people who are normal(not inhibited or impaired ) CYP2D6 metabolisers can take codeine And tramadol together, but : Tramadol lasts longer and it takes longer for it to work. Both produce itching which can be brutal if you took too much.
Enjoy this nice synergy between tramadol (SNRi+opioid) and codeine (opiate ).