• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc (Clonidine) withdrawal

Clonidine is a weird med. I never knew it was approved for ADD/ADHD in some countries until I read it last week or so. It does more than just reduce blood pressure.

I took 0.1mg every night before bed, mixed with a cocktail of other meds. It helped make me drowsy. Oddly, it provided ZERO opiate WD relief for me - it just made me tired. I could take 0.1mg and still be shivering like crazy with chills/etc. Even though it made me tired, I couldn?t sleep if I tried to take less Oxy/Hydro or even skip a night does. So I found it quite useless... yet it did seem to make me drowsy so I kept taking it, maybe for 1-2 months straight.
Then I would run out, stop cold turkey, refill when I remember - and take for 1-2 months, repeat. Never had any WD from Cloidine, but then again it didn?t help WD one bit. Maybe the dose was too low to even affect me? Dunno. Maybe that?s why I got no WD as dose was too low and didn?t help.
I haven?t taken it in about 6+ months though. I assume since I haven?t taken any in 6 months that any WD symptoms would be long gone? I do have more anxiety/blood pressure is off, but I also started to smoke Pot which affects both so it?s likely that.

There's no reason to expect clonidine to give you WD relief other than lowering blood pressure and offering sedation.

It's not a med you want to quit CT without doctor approval though, because it's primarily a blood pressure med, and you risk dangerous rebound hypertension.

It's is used to treat depression and ADHD, and quitting could cause rebound anxiety. But I don't think folks should consider this an "anti-anxiety/sedating" med like it's a benzodiazepine. It isn't the kind of med to use for keeping the edge off stimulants either.

I know I'm late to this party, but yes, it is really important not to abruptly stop using medications like Clonidine (Catapres) because it can cause rebound Hypertension. If you're a young, healthy individual without any other medical conditions, you should just expect some minor discomfort upon quitting, but it should be nothing serious. At any rate, you should just let your doctor handle it. They know that Clonidine withdrawal can be dangerous, so they will help you in some way, I'm sure.