• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

clonazepam withdrawal/going to detox

blahblahh

Greenlighter
Okay, so I've been prescribed 4 mg/day (2mg morning 2 mg night) of clonazepam for severe anxiety for over 2 years. I recently moved and I don't have any left; I managed to get the guy at cvs to give me 2 2mg pills but obviously that's not going to last me long. I haven't had any in over 2 days and I'm starting to get sick. I should be able to get some within a few days but until then should I just try to taper or go into the ER?

I know it's stupid to worry about this now but I have a really important exam tomorrow morning and I don't want to be out of my mind when I'm trying to focus. The only way I can miss it is if I have a letter from an emergency service provider, so I guess I just want to know if I should go before it gets worse or if I should try to stick it out. Thanks in advance

Benzodiazepines (klonopin) included cause seizures and can induce a coma during sudden cessation. It can be very dangerous please be careful.

If you have no access to ANY to help get you through until your source comes through in a few days I would seriously suggest the ER. At least call your pharmacist to seek their advice.

If you have enough to taper, then obviously do that. Benzo wd can be fatal, so if you notice your symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention!

Definitely go to the ER... It's not like you're abusing them... I'm surprised the pharmacy gave you two without script.... That's unheard of

^Unfortunately though, it would seem that abuse is a part of the equation here, but maybe I'm wrong. If OP were taking the Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril) as prescribed, there shouldn't be any reason for you to run out early. One wouldn't expect the same MD who prescribed 2mg Clonazepam 2x daily (4mg) to support a total and abrupt withdrawal from the drug. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying that you're an addict or that you are definitely abusing your medications, but the question will inevitably be raised; "Why are you out of your medication". It sounds like you have an easy way out of the situation. If you can retake your exam at a later time, then I would go the route of heading to the Urgent Care/Emergency Department. Once there, you can either feign severe anxiety/panic or you can give them a more legitimate accounting of your situation.

Either way, it will be up in the air whether your get medicated with Benzodiazepines. If the exam you have to take is indeed very important, you should avoid sitting for it at all costs if you're in the midst of Benzodiazepine withdrawal. Withdrawal from these drugs not only makes you feel like shit, the anxiety and stress can seriously interfere with your cognition and critical thinking processes, potentially causing serious problems in terms of your grades.

I would go ahead and regroup and not take the exam until you feel better.