• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Clonazepam -- what differentiates it? (re HPPD)

I think that sufferers of hppd turn so much attention to some initial visual distortion, that they actually end up prolonging it - and in fact even creating it.

I don't believe for a second that hppd is a result of a chemical imbalance or 'damage' to the brain. If this were the case then we would be seeing cases of hppd in a far higher percentage of hallucinogenic drug users.

i dont beleive your first idea at all. and how can you say hppd isnt a result of a chemical imbalance or damage? i know for a fact mine is. there are a lot of hallucinogenic drugs, and each have side effects to varying degrees. sure mushrooms will hardly produce hppd in my opinion, but take half a gram of dxm per day for a month, or overdose on it, or just take a shitload more than that.(i really dont feel like exploiting my horrendous doses), and youll get hppd. i was dissassociated from my mind for at least 2 weeks after my overdose. my soul was torn apart into peices (or ego, whatever). sure this is vague, but i know psychs, even those besides dxm, can and will produce hppd, especially if taken extensively. mostly the nmda agonists though i assume, especially pcp and mk801. i bet theres a lot more people than you think that have symptoms that lasts for years after hard psychedelic use.

i are spectre said:
i don’t beleive your first idea at all. and how can you say hppd isnt a result of a chemical imbalance or damage? i know for a fact mine is. there are a lot of hallucinogenic drugs, and each have side effects to varying degrees. sure mushrooms will hardly produce hppd in my opinion, but take half a gram of dxm per day for a month, or overdose on it, or just take a shitload more than that.(i really dont feel like exploiting my horrendous doses), and youll get hppd. i was dissassociated from my mind for at least 2 weeks after my overdose. my soul was torn apart into peices (or ego, whatever). sure this is vague, but i know psychs, even those besides dxm, can and will produce hppd, especially if taken extensively. mostly the nmda agonists though i assume, especially pcp and mk801. i bet theres a lot more people than you think that have symptoms that lasts for years after hard psychedelic use.
I know how easy it can be to become convinced that your symptoms are a result of a chemical imbalance or brain damage - I have been in that situation myself. I have taken my own fair share of drugs, and then suffered high level anxiety and extreme disassociation. I was utterly convinced it had to be a result of a chemical dysfunction within my brain, because it felt just like that. The thing is, psychological conditions actually do cause a chemical imbalance of their own, so I guess the end result is that we are receiving symptoms of just that. However, that is the result and not the cause.

I would bet good money that despite the incredibly high number/doses of drugs you have taken, doctors would be denied the findings of any signs of damage to your brain. Disassociation is often the result of turning your attention inwards, which is most likely exactly what you did when you started experiencing these strange and intense sensations.

At the end of the day, despite how much it feels like your problems are a result of damage, you cannot say that you 'know they are'. Fair enough, for the same reason I cannot totally disprove it, but on the other hand I see far more reason to take my standing since belief that you are damaged beyond repair is incredibly destructive to the mind. This thought is exactly what keeps many anxiety sufferers trapped.

Please do not think I am trying to belittle this condition. To tell you the truth it scares me probably more than anything else - I would absolutely loath to have to live it. The entire point of what I am trying to do here is illustrate to people that you don't necessarily have physical brain malfunction just because you're receiving incorrect signals.

i dont beleive your first idea at all. and how can you say hppd isnt a result of a chemical imbalance or damage? i know for a fact mine is.

How can you know that? And what the hell does a chemical imbalance even mean? Every thought is caused by a change in 'brain chemicals', so if you're having weird thoughts, of course its a result of change in chemicals, but so are "normal" thoughts.

i used to do a lot of dxm and all of the lasting side effects went away after 6 months or so, i dont think dxm really causes "hppd" but there is a good ammount of visual garbage for a while after heavy use ie 30 grams in 2-3 weeks or something like that but its all semi-short term