• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Classical Conditioning

BroughtFromHome

Greenlighter
A long time ago I tried to administer DXM by taking a bunch of Alka-Seltzer cold tablets in a small glass of water because I believed that it'd be easier to drink just a little bit of the solution instead of a lot of it (either way it tastes like shit). Let's just say that the experiment did not work and I got incredibly sick due to the large amounts of chlorpheniramine.

Well the solution is a bit carbonated and it just tastes horrible. If you know the nastiness of acetaminophen, then imagine that taste but ten times worst and carbonated.. I almost threw up but got it all down.

What I notice now is that I am getting some weird feelings when drinking any soda. I only notice it sometimes, but I believe it is classical conditioning from drinking the Alka-Seltzer mixture. I feel the nasty sick feeling that I had from my original drink from any sort of soda, from Coca Cola to Sprite.

Anybody have an idea as to what I can do about this? Is this classical conditioning or something else? Has anybody else experienced this? Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Do you mean like because of your horrible experience you now find all carbonated beverages remind you of that experience thereby making you ill? If so there is not really a whole lot you can do about that. But I say good, soda is so bad for you anyways.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. It's only sometimes, though. It just randomly affects me when I'm drinking anything carbonated.

And yeah, maybe this is a reason to quit drinking soda. I've heard of desensitization but I don't think I'm going to invest that much time to it and I'm not sure how I could counteract such a vague stimulus.