• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Chronic Pain MEGA Thread

SPP, I can't recommend a doctor but there is a test which would prove your lack of response to opioids. It is a blood tests to determine if you have the liver enzymes to process opioid, pain medications there is another which can determine if anti-depressants at normal levels would be effective. Both of these conditions are a chromosome defect. Sorry I do not know the name of the blood test.
Stay away from the alcohol!

Shroomy,

I'm not sure where you are, so can't tell you what you can do, but I can tell you a little about my own experiences. I am in the US, so not sure if my story is relevant to you.

Doctors are not gods, they don't know everything (not that they all believe this), so sometimes you just have to go shopping for the right one. I am fourtunate that the arthritis that I suffer from shows up in pictures, the break in my back from over 20 years ago is well documented from before I asked for medication, that the surgeries that I had to have 'qualify' me for the medication that I need.The first pain doc I saw prescribed me Norco, not knowing what it was I filled the script. Turns out it is Vicodin with less Tylenol, I am allergic to Vicodin. I took it back to him, he refused to prescribe me Oxycodone, treating me like a junkie chasing a bigger high. I asked a friend the next day who they saw and got lucky, this pain doc was great! I still see her, though I have moved and any trip to see her is takes me 3 hours, but is worth it as she listens. I was truly lucky, it's not always that easy.

Ask around, check with anyone you know with experiences like yours. Use the web to look for reviews on different doctors. Look for statements that tell you the doctor LISTENS. You are not just another number, another random face in the crowd. You are important to you, and you need to feel your best. Make lists, what are your symptoms, what specifically caused your pain. What have you tried to do to combat it. What do you need to make it in day to day life. Once you get to know your new doctor, and they know that you are there to make your life better, then ask for the bar to be raised. If you are in the US, or opiods are under the same suspicion where ever you are, asking for a high dose right off the bat just sends out the wrong signal. Explaining any medications attempts that you have made in the past, the failures (and why), the succeses (and why) are a great way to get close to your needs. When I moved I called several Doctors in my new city, and told them what I take asking if they will prescribe at that dose (not many do), I still make the drive as there isn't one doctor in my new city that will prescribe what I am taking.

Do your research, when you call to ask about what levels they prescribe, don't give them your name. If you do end up going to that doctor you do not want them to remember you asking this question!

I wish you the best in life, may it be as pain free as possible. Take care of yourself, no one else will!

Yours in pain- GRSH

Hey guys I'm back and sorry for the long silence from my side!! ! Hope you're all doing as fine as can be expected. My pain is a bit better now thanks to splanchnic nerve blockade. But it aint without side effects. Bp is elevated, frequent headaches and hectic or brittle diabetes. Other than that I still have my bad days.. .. Good luck guys!! !

Checking in... Been pain management for close to 30 years now. On opiates for over 12. Lost my insurance a while back and had to withdraw off 300mg of morphine a day that I had been on for 10 years. Did a taper and a bunch off hell drops. Final drop had me doing 23 days of acute withdrawals. The pain was 10 plus. Came so close to breaking me.

Any ways... Around day 30 or so clean my brain did a miracle. It reset my pain level down to a 2-3. From an unbelievable hell to almost nothing. I'm still kind of in shock.

Thought for sure I was going to have to go the cheapo methadone route. Instead im free. free of opiates. Free of money grubbing doctors. Free of monthly piss tests. Free of $$$ a month. I AM FREE OF IT!

With all the crap going on and the war on opiate docs I wanted to post something hopeful for those that may soon have to walk my path.

Best to all of you... I feel your pain!!!

R13

Reanimator, This is very intriguing to me. You are so blessed! I mean to be free of the bondage of medication. I got off mine for almost 3 weeks last summer, but was using kratom still. My pain was still awful, so went back on meds. I wonder if my pain would diminish if I?d waited longer. I don?t have 23 days of withdrawal in me though. That sounds awful!

Hey folks.... very 1st post here!
I'm a 54 yr old male and had a routine neck surgery in January of this year. Rods were placed at C4-C7.
About 4 days after surgery I was at home and suddenly this HORRIBLE burning started in my shoulder down to my fingers. After multiple trips to my surgeon, and a plethora of Dr's that he referred me to, I was finally diagnosed with Parsonage-Turner Syndrome.... a very rare nerve disorder that affects about 1 in 150,000 people.
Anyway, I have lost total use of my arm, elbow, wrist, and fingers. My hand is stuck in this grotesque fist that is totally embarrassing.
The doc who finally diagnosed me said mine was the worst case he had seen in 23 yrs of practice. My recovery period is at least 2-3 years, and I will most likely never regain full function in my arm and hand.
I am prescribed 60mg morphine sulphate, 60mg Percocet, 1800mg Gralise, and just started 75mg daily of Effexor to help with this depression over losing my job due to this disease, and as an amateur musician, I can no longer perform on weekends with my band.
Anyway, thats my story....
Just curious if anyone has ever had this horrid nerve disorder. Most doc's that I talked to had never even heard of it.
Thx for the add, and I apologize for this extra long post.
Hope everyone has happier and pain free days in the near future!!

1oldfart

Yes, I have debilitating nerve pain, arachnoiditis.
I have been told I will never be pain-free again.
I have been told I'm super-reactive to pain, not true.
Oh..
When I was doctor shopping, I found a Dr. who told me the only long acting drug he would prescribe me is Methadone, because it is the only drug that helps w/ chronic nerve pain.
At least ask your doc about tossin' the morphine and percocet in the shitcan and trying Methadone, as this is certainly long-term.
Morphine sucks. Mainlined it is ok w/ 60-100mg, but oral I was at 400mg/day,(at the time my doctor was empathetic, believed me when I told her what did/not work, not like these doc.s now) and went to oxycodone, got much more relief. For nerve pain methadone is where it's at.
Good luck getting any; serious, good luck.

I am in serious pain, for life. My doc drops me .mgs on wim, and threatens me w/ taking away my whole 'script.
I am in SoCal, and it sucks here for pain-management.
I can't handle this.
Is there any members here who have a great doctor that prescribes what they need?

I'm ready to move across the country for a good Doctor. Or is the whole USA under this same stigma?

Dont fuse ever if it can be avoided

I have a pinched sciatic nerve in my back. Sometimes the pain goes all the way down to my shins. I was being prescribed a couple different pain killers and a muscle relaxer.

After a couple injuries. Actually a few over the past couple years or two. Doctors do not want to prescribe me anything for it. Saying that since i am young i shouldn't be on painkillers/addiction yet. I also have L1 and L2 compressed. And no cushion in between.

What should i do? I am tired of having to obtain pain killers illegally and due to a certain situation should not have lower back surgery for a couple more years. As they want to fuse the L1 and L2 together.

Input would be great. I'm starting to be frustrated after years of this BS.

I have an L5 fusion and I feel worse after having the surgery. Please wait if u can cause I have suffered more because of it.

I've had Morton's neuroma in both feet since I was 10 then on top of that at 25 I started having this unbearable pain in my lower back and in my groin, its so bad that I can't sleep on my back, only on my side and I can't sit down for longer the 10 minutes even in the most comfy chair. Imaging tests tru out the years show I have flat back syndrome (lost of lordosis) which is caused by a constant permanent muscle spasm that has not responded to physical therapy and muscle relaxers and the strongest "opioid" they would give me was tramadol which didn't touch the pain.

So I went to buying oxycodone on the streets which helped but after a year the tolerance got so high it was not affordable so I started sniffing heroin which is of pretty good quality and cheap in my neck of the woods and that bag was way better then any oxy I've ever had. But then tolerance is a bitch too cuz when at first a bag would last me a whole day in the later phase I neded like 6-8 bags a day. After a year on intranasal heroin I was considering starting IV use because that way I would need less bags per day and my nose was taking a toll from the heavy use. Then just a couple of days after that IV consideration I went into rehab and cold turkey for a week.

When I got out I went into a suboxone program and that has been a blessing because it has worked very well to manage the pain at low doses and it's freaking FREE! Don't even need insurance I just have to go there every other week and pee clean and get a script!

**edited out prices, can't discuss drug prices on BL - n3o**

Last edited by a moderator:
i've had rheumatoid arthritis so long i don't remember life w/out pain, stiffness, fevers, etc, etc.
i've taken every thing from aspirin to indomethacin, methotrexate to newer disease modifying meds, cortisone injections, etc etc etc. i gained a bunch of weight and had several bouts of pneumonia. the side effects far outweighed any benefits.
so i quit the meds, worked w/ a physical therapist, massage therapist, and even tried acupuncture, biofeedback, and other "alternative" therapies.
i did everything i could to avoid pain meds but eventually i had to have a serious talk w/ my doc. i had no life, wasn't able to work a full shift, and was becoming a really angry, miserable person.
doc and i decided to give methadone a try. i felt so ashamed like i was too weak to handle the pain and stiffness on my own.
i was so wrong. i had almost no side effects and the pain was diminished by 70-80% although the early a.m. stiffness is still pretty bad. the past 5 years have been the best/happiest of my life. i still go to physical and massage therapy. depression and anxiety are better although i can go off the rails into a manic episode if i don't watch out.
i'm convinced everyone can find a way to get their life back. what worked for me might not work for anyone else but no matter how bleak things look, keep trying.
-izzy
I am new here. My first post is to you. I too suffer from intractable pain and have been playing the pain pill thing a very long time. So much of what you said in your post is so right on the money. Thank you for that. I have been told to visit this site for a number of years. I should not have waited. Thanks again.

Awesome thread idea. I have severe pain ever day and am chronically under-medicated :(

Current Diagnoses:
Chronic Pancreatitis (with acute flare-ups* once or twice a year)
Two Herniated Discs (one classed as moderate, one as severe)
Osteoarthritis in both knees
Diabetic Neuropathy in both legs
Spinal Fracture that never healed correctly
Borderline Personality Disorder (mental pain is a real thing, too)

My meds (just the meds for pain):
Dihydrocodeine
Prescribed - 240mg/day
Take - 300-720mg/day
Naproxen
Prescribed -500mg/day
Take - 500-1000mg/day
Gabapentin
Prescribed - 900mg/day
Take - 1200-3600mg/day

I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday and hoping he'll agree to increase my Gaba (even if just from 900 a day to 1200 a day) as my legs have gotten MUCH worse.

*which are in the top ten most painful things a human can experience and are also very life-threatening

^Maybe I spoke too soon. When I spoke with my doctor he was actually very sympathetic, said he hoped my pain would get better soon and increased my Gabapentin from 900mg/day to 1800mg/day. Very pleased with that result.

Awesome thread idea. I have severe pain ever day and am chronically under-medicated :(

Current Diagnoses:
Chronic Pancreatitis (with acute flare-ups* once or twice a year)
Two Herniated Discs (one classed as moderate, one as severe)
Osteoarthritis in both knees
Diabetic Neuropathy in both legs
Spinal Fracture that never healed correctly
Borderline Personality Disorder (mental pain is a real thing, too)

My meds (just the meds for pain):
Dihydrocodeine
Prescribed - 240mg/day
Take - 300-720mg/day
Naproxen
Prescribed -500mg/day
Take - 500-1000mg/day
Gabapentin
Prescribed - 900mg/day
Take - 1200-3600mg/day

I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday and hoping he'll agree to increase my Gaba (even if just from 900 a day to 1200 a day) as my legs have gotten MUCH worse.

*which are in the top ten most painful things a human can experience and are also very life-threatening
Wishing you the best... Quando

Current Diagnoses:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, daily
CFAP, rare form of IBS, nerves in intestines over sensitive
Osteoarthritis in feet
Psoratic Arthritis
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Treatment Resistant Depression
ADHD
Fibromyalgia

My meds
Klonopin GAD
Prescribed - 1mg 4 times a day
Take - from 1 some days to 3 a day since November 2020

Methotrexate Psoratic Arthritis
7mg one day per week

Nadolol High Blood Pressure
80mg per day

Zofran IBS NAUSEA
20 mg per day

Ursodiol Gall Stones
600 mg per day

Crestor Triglycerides 700
25mg

A few more and some vitamins

Updated:

Diagnoses (Chronic Pain):
Pancreatitis, Chronic (with acute attacks)
Three Pseudo-cysts on Pancreas (one twice as large as a golf ball)
Two herniated discs (one moderate, one severe)
Diabetic Neuropathy (both legs)
Improperly healed spinal fracture
Sciatica

Diagnoses (Other):
Borderline Personality Disorder
Major Depressive Disorder (severe, with psychosis)
Mild Schizophrenia
Diabetes (type 1.5)
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Meds:
Sertraline 50mg (once/day)
Sertraline 100mg (once/day)
Quetiapine 100mg (once/day)
Quetiapine 25mg (one or two as needed)
Trazodone 150mg (at night for sleep)
Chlorpromazine 100mg (as needed for anxiety)
Morphine IR 10mg (twice a day)*
Dihydrocodeine 60mg (four times/day)
Gabapentin 300mg (six a day)
Naproxen 250mg (twice/day)
Sodium Valproate 400mg (twice/day)
Cyclizine 50mg (three times/day)
Omeprazole 20mg (once/day)
Gliclizide 80mg (twice/day)

*Just started on this this week after having a breakdown on the phone to my doctor over my pain levels (I've been borderline-suicidal over it). He told me after abusing Oxy 11 years ago I would never, ever get a strong opioid again (unless in hospital) but he actually really believed me about my pain an empathized me enough to prescribe the morphine. It's only 10mg of instant release twice a day, but it's still an improvement on what I was on and has really helped me mentally as I no longer feel so hopeless and doomed to always suffer. He has also referred me to the pain clinic, saying he will feel more comfortable increasing that dose if they recommend it.

*Just started on this this week after having a breakdown on the phone to my doctor over my pain levels (I've been borderline-suicidal over it). He told me after abusing Oxy 11 years ago I would never, ever get a strong opioid again (unless in hospital) but he actually really believed me about my pain an empathized me enough to prescribe the morphine. It's only 10mg of instant release twice a day, but it's still an improvement on what I was on and has really helped me mentally as I no longer feel so hopeless and doomed to always suffer. He has also referred me to the pain clinic, saying he will feel more comfortable increasing that dose if they recommend it.
I'm really glad your doctor agreed to the morphine for your pain <3