• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Chloroquine for COVID-19 - Worthwhile?

The Charmer

Greenlighter
In the U.K chloroquine is available over the counter. Unfortunately, everyone seems to be sold out but I found one online place that has it.

The thing is, while I hear mixed reports about its effectiveness, one thing I’ve read is that it should be used when your case is mild cos if you wait til your symptoms are severe it’s too late. I am thinking of getting some and then if I get symptoms to start taking it from day 5 if I’m not getting better.

this make sense?

I definitely wouldn’t be using it without medical supervision. It’s well known chloroquine can have some pretty nasty side effects. I wouldn’t chance it, especially when the death rate of this virus is so low.

Moved from Drugs in the Media to Health and Recovery.

Right now there is only evidence from a few very-small controlled trials. One Chinese and one French study showed no benefit, while another Chinese study showed a benefit. Right now the answer is "no one knows". Many studies are currently underway so hopefully we will have a clearer picture soon.

The thing is it’s been around for several decades and widely administered for malaria, so not concerned about the risks unless I was old etc.

I hear you on the death rate. The thing is, if I got Covid and was still running a fever and cough after 7 days or so, at that point I’d have a reasonable chance that my condition would progress to being severe. I’ve read if you’ve still got Covid by day 10, you’re in trouble as that’s when it turns nasty.

So if I did have it I’d only use it for day 7...

The thing is it’s been around for several decades and widely administered for malaria, so not concerned about the risks unless I was old etc.

I hear you on the death rate. The thing is, if I got Covid and was still running a fever and cough after 7 days or so, at that point I’d have a reasonable chance that my condition would progress to being severe. I’ve read if you’ve still got Covid by day 10, you’re in trouble as that’s when it turns nasty.

So if I did have it I’d only use it for day 7...
From what I’ve seen in regards to it being used it’s only cut the time of having the virus by days. There is definitely no way to know if it helps of if that was going to happen anyway. Like SJB said, no one really knows. You could take it if you wanted, if you’re sure you’re not worried about the side effects then what’s the harm in taking it? I personally wouldn’t due to the possible side effects and the fact it’s not been proven at all.
There is so much hearsay about this virus that it’s hard to get the fact from the embellishment of it all. What I do believe though is that this is a flu like illness, you’re gonna be feeling shit for well over 10 days and most people are going to manage just fine at home dealing with the effects of it. You’re gonna be a very unlucky person to have this turn into something serious and unless you’ve a Co morbidity then I wouldn’t be worried. As hard as that is due to the onslaught of media scare mongering.

Don't take this drug (specifically outside of a clinical setting which would require decent doctor supervision: do not take it on your own; please go along with the doctors if they are intelligent and care to save your life; I am not a doctor). Try eating well and drinking lots of water and getting sleep but also remaining minimally active to keep your body going and to prevent aches/pains from growing.

It's an immunosuppressant . I have no reason to believe it would work for someone personally, other than in individual cases where an overactive immune reaction/severe inflammation may end up complicating pre-existing conditions, etc. ... you cannot make this call on your own body. You are not a doctor.

I would not take this drug even in a clinical setting.

Appreciate the responses guys.

I guess what has got me worried is seeing an increasing number of people who seem fit and healthy yet have now died all the same or else are in ICU. A guy my age, who i went to college with is in ICU in fact.

Then, I ask myself am in statistically more likely to die from Covid or die from chloroquine. I’d have assumed the former but now reading this great thread on chloroquine I just found on twitter, I’m not so sure...

So I’m gonna park the idea of drugs for now..ALL drugs in fact. I’ve cut out sugars and processed meats as well (to reduce inflammation) while running 2 x a week for 20 mins (I’ve not exercised in years!).

The other area I’m interested in is supporting my immunity. I’d say on average i must get a cold every 3-4 months at least and had flu probably once every lfher

A friend of mine whose into fitness shared this article with me which goes into various micronutrients and the various studies conducted into them.

In particular he says I should look at the research on Ecklonia cava, oxymatrine, berberine, and vitamin D. Long story short, he says they have between them good evidence of being protective against respiratory infections in general, reducing symptoms and he said one of them at least inhibits coronaviruses similar to this one. Based on the evidence laid out here, given I’m already sleeping lots, and eating more healthy, does this seem like a reasonable step to fix my naturally bad immune response?

Yeah I think from what you said you’re doing the best you can. Honestly getting more vitamins and doing exercise is going to be good for your overall health now and in the long run.
I wouldn’t say you need to cut out sugar or meat though. If you’re eating everything in moderation then it’s fine. Meat has more protein and vitamins you just won’t get from plants or vitamin pills.
Personally, I am on a keto diet due to my ulcerative colitis and a chronic condition I have. It has helped me loads because I can eat now without screaming in pain. I also have an eating disorder and keto to me is safe foods so I will happily eat more keto foods that I would if I were eating carbs. (Makes sense in my crazy brain, not in anyone else’s really.)
I think the main thing for you though if you want to avoid this virus is to make sure you’re adhering to social distancing, washing your hands after touching anything whilst out, avoiding at all costs touching your face before you’ve washed your hands, if you want to wear a cloth face mask it won’t hurt but be aware it’s not going to stop you getting this virus if someone has coughed in front of you.
I know it’s hard as well but do what you can to reduce your stress about all of this, try some mediation and mindfulness exercises, some breathing exercises. That will help also.
It’ll all be ok!

The research on ecklonia cava is interesting 👆 I'd never heard of that before, but looks promising.

In the U.K chloroquine is available over the counter. Unfortunately, everyone seems to be sold out but I found one online place that has it.

The thing is, while I hear mixed reports about its effectiveness, one thing I’ve read is that it should be used when your case is mild cos if you wait til your symptoms are severe it’s too late. I am thinking of getting some and then if I get symptoms to start taking it from day 5 if I’m not getting better.

this make sense?

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

I mean, nobody knows right now how effective the drug might be, if at all. From what I've seen I'm expecting it to turn out to be completely ineffective. But it's your life, your choice.

I wouldn't recommend it though and the reason is that the only thing we have to go on is that early in vitro studies showed promise, and those kinds studies often don't lead anywhere long term. And maybe a couple small clinical studies that had too few patients, or no controls.

So, we have little reason right now to think it's effective, it can have side effects, and there are people who actually need it and overuse can create shortages.

Sooo, that's my take on it.

I know it's super tempting to want to DO something. And that's not wrong, it can be very helpful psychologically to feel like there's something you can do.

But myself, what I intend to do is frequent hand washing, avoiding people if possible, not touching my face.

And if I get sick, I intend to get bed rest, stay hydrated, you know, basic kinda stuff.

At some point in the near future we may know with confidence that there's more we can do, before that though I think it's a gamble, one that may not pay off.

But of course, I'm not you. I can't decide for you.

Take care. :)

this make sense?

I've been through the virus already, and it was horrible. But I wouldn't have taken chloroquine even if I had it, as I have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, the virus itself triggered several episodes of AFib, and chloroquine could have made things dangerously worse. That was just me though.

I *did* find the expectorant/supplement NAC useful for reducing the thick gunge in my lungs and lessening the pneumonia symptoms when they struck. There are other expectorants as well, but I didn't try them.

Something I read today is that these drugs can cause QT prolongation.

Aside from the fact that that's something the virus can cause too, it's also something methadone can cause.

Soooo... I for one would be very concerned about taking it if you're on methadone. All together it might significantly increase your risk of dangerous heart arrhythmia.

Especially when it's still so unclear if it even helps.