• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Chloral Hydrate v.s. Ethchlorvynol (Placidyl)

muie

Bluelighter
From what I've read, I've gathered that from a pharmacologic point of view, both Chloral Hydrate and Ethchlorvynol (Placidyl) are both very similar in action, even though I haven't had experience with neither drugs.

Wikipedia states:
"Chloral hydrate is metabolized in vivo to trichloroethanol, which is responsible for secondary physiological and psychological effects.

Chloral hydrate is structurally and pharmacodynamically similar to ethchlorvynol (Placidyl), a pharmaceutical developed during the 1950s that was marketed as a hypnotic until 1999 when production was voluntarily ceased by manufacturers in favor of benzodiazepines. The metabolite of chloral hydrate exerts its pharmacological properties via enhancing the GABA receptor complex and therefore is similar in action to benzodiazepines, nonbenzodiazepines and barbiturates. It can be moderately addictive, as chronic use is known to cause dependency and withdrawal symptoms. The chemical can potentiate various anticoagulants and is weakly mutagenic in vitro and in vivo."

Can anybody shed some light on this topic, please!
Thanks!

Don’t think they’re very similar in terms of effects to be honest. I have zero experience with either however. I believe placidyl is highly enjoyable and Chloral hydrate is more of a snooze fest.