• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Chloral hydrate And Toxicity And How to use Safely?

Thomas29

Bluelighter
I just got A Bottle of Chlorahydrate Liquid. I assume Benzos And Chlorahydrate have Cross-Tolerance from what I Read about it.

Now BASED on the Fact I Am on 90MG of Methadone And I use anything from 10mg nitrazepam nightly or 1mg clonazepam and then up to 3mg clonazepam at once or more easily Like 7MG for Example with only Therapeutic Effects No Motor Control loss or slurred speech etc....I Am taking 1200MG GABAPentin 2x Daily And 20MG Baclofen 4x Daily.

I Am Not Sure if Chlorahydrate is Safe on it's own And I would only need to worry about the mixing on the different Downers.

But MY QUESTION IS How can I Drink enough of this stuff And NOT DIE! Yet FEEL EFFECTS! Then if I need more how much do I slowly take more of it.

I have no idea but tell us what it feels like after you take it cause I've never heard of anyone who has before and I'm curious.

Also, it's chloralhydate with an "l" after the "a".

Its not what you could call the prize winning stud of the downer racehorse thoroughbreds.

More of a mangy old bugger that has to be dragged to the glue-factory on a cart.
Not THE worst. But pretty shitty. Its a bugger on the digestive system, I'd advise a lot of gaviscon to hand, other stomach soothing meds too. It'll leave you belching camphoraceous and slightly minty, halocarbonesqe fumes for ages, and it tastes like fucking arse on a bun baked in an anus from rectum-dough and made into a rear end sandwich with cheese on top. But what TYPE of cheese....is better left unsaid. Clue? its gender-specific...

Its bad for the liver over longterm. Best saved for an occasional sedative. I can't really estimate doses for you given the tolerance to other drugs. But for nontolerant, 500mg to a gram or so, the latter being fairly high, sometimes I've seen it used in larger doses. But caveat being, this IS in a medical manual from the 1700s when they had no compunction about dosing babies with mercury salts for teething (calomel, mercury (I) chloride, for example, or mercury metal bashed to finely divided metal by pounding with chalk, and known as grey mass), as well as using arsenicals, hydrogen cyanide (well, aqueous hydrocyanic acid, aka prussic acid), lead salts, other mercury salts and oxides and halides and fucking christ only knows what else, using antimony, white phosphorus...hell, their treatment for piles, was to apply nitric acid.

So take the advice with a fistful of sodium chloride, hell, they were still measuring things in grains back in those old books of mine. Sorry I can't check for you, but the books themselves, aren't in the house as I lent them to my GP, the one who is actually a decent man. (not sharp enough to keep up with me if I need to explain anything neurological or biochemical, and he says so himself but fundamentally, a good man, kind and with a good bedside manner. Not a totally illogical panic-infested fuckbucket full of stagnating jizm like certain members of that GP practice)

But nontolerant, certainly up to a gram. IIRC larger doses were also used but thats what I recall clearly. I'd start with less than half that. 250mg at most, maybe 100mg given the other drugs your on. Run it up slowly, even though it'll mean quite a few nonstarters. 100mg increments would be pretty safe I should think, chloral isn't one of those uberpotent things, although it isn't benign in OD like benzos are. Plus I should think too much would give one a real cunt of a hangover. Its closely related to alcohol.

Kind of the bastard child between antifreeze and paint stripper, being the geminal (1,1-) diol of 2,2,2-trichloroethanol. Well sort of its bastard child as ethylene glycol is a vicinal diol (the two hydroxyl groups are on two adjacent carbons, whereas they are both on the same carbon atom in chloral hydrate)

Useful enough in microscopy, as Melzer's reagent for fungal spore testing (I admit it, I'm a mycologist geek, albeit one that doesn't look or otherwise act geeky in the least, outside of my lab=D), and certain other purposes. But really crappy to use as a drug. A sedative for occasional use at best and a third rate one at that.

The best thing I can say about it really, is that it isn't paraldehyde. Not a particularly high compliment.

And also, unlike most GABA agonists/positive allosteric modulators, at least GABAa-targeting, chloral hydrate does not suppress epileptiform electrical patterns within brainwaves, which is possibly, if I were to guess, the only reason its actually still around in a medical form. So EEGs can be done with sedation, without affecting the result.

I'd LOVE to know why and how this happens,but buggered if I do. Anyone know? I need to know now. And I'm going to end up climbing the walls, scratching fingernail marks out of the ceiling and muttering *gollumkhhhkkkkkoorrkkhhhhhgollumkiillllsssssiiiitt...KILLS thEm--aLlLlllllL!* Damn knowledge monkey on my bank. Can't help that one though, thats what you get for being autistic=D

The person I Am getting this from is not the most drug intelligent person. How much is in Chloral Hydrate Liquid form in MG's since he has 30ML's He gave Me And has 30ML's more to Sell Me But I DON'T WANNA FUCKIN DIE! That is the entire goal here.

But if this is CLOSELY related to Alcohol then won't My Nitrazepam And Clonazepam Potentiate the fucking SHIT out of this stuff?

Last edited:
Yeah there will be a potentiation or at least additive effects. Whats the brand? because then I could find out what the concentration is (assuming it hasn't been altered before sale)

The Dose is not altered at all I was with My Friends source And watched them get the script then bring it back to me in the car for that specific reason.

It says that the Brand is PMS- Chloral Hydrate at a Solution Concentration of 500mg per 5ml And it also says on the bottle to dilute before administration and to drink with plenty of water how much should i dilute it. I Payed A lot of money for it And I only got roughly 35MLs of it so that would be 3500MG.

The person I purchased it from told me they take 10ml to knock them out for sleep or 5ml but I need to know if the Benzos like I am on 40MG Nitrazepam right now just to get rid of withdrawal symptoms of weaning down to a lower dose. I take like 40mg of xanax in one day like 3.5 mg per 4 hours no like black outs or negative side effects like motor control loss etc.

I use 70MG for a good buzz at once all in a fistfull of no side effets with 60MG of baclofen combined with maybe a bit of drowsiness mixed with the baclofen not to mention the 90mg methadone i take daily.

So if I DO NOT use any Baclofen And or Benzos for the day and only my 90mg of methadone how much should I start with to make SURE i get effects like 500MG And with my tolerance would that even help me sleep or least help maybe with occasional anxiety.

ANY INFORMATION I am very grateful for all the Replies so far thank u everyone.

If anyone has Used Chloral Hydrate with A Large Benzo Tolerance similar to my situation what dose did u take?

If you are physically benzo dependent, I'd tread really carefully here, specifically, if not taking the benzo at the time, on the one hand, if you did, its mixing depressants, on the other, if you did not, chloral hydrate is very unusual, because it does not suppress epileptiform discharges in the brain on an EEG trace.

Which, coupled with the fact that back in ye olde days, when medicine was beginning to take shape, had abandoned magic spells and invoking deities and had gotten to the stage where they recognized that disease (in the west) was due either to such things as physical wounds, to poisonings, to specific 'tendencies', towards things like epilepsies, stomach problems, both in the sense of predispositions to conditions, and that syndromic conditions could occur, as well as the beginnings of germ-theory, although the medicines they had still relied greatly on plants, on inorganic compounds such as dilute solutions of acids and bases for facilitating feeble digestion, and for heartburn respectively, but also on a great many toxic chemicals and elements like mercury, lead, arsenic, antimony, and poisonous, dangerous plants like Aconitum (wolfsbane, monkshood), the false hellebores (Veratrum, again, tiny divide between a therapeutic dose and a fatal one), belladonna (deadly nightshade, Atropa belladonna and other tropane antimuscarinic containing nightshade species.

They used chloral hydrate back then too, for treating anxiety, lack of sleep and convulsive disorders, so that does make it sound like it can at least help supress seizures, but that it might not be impossible that if you are physically benzo-dependent, that whilst on chloral hydrate if not taking the benzo, you might potentially still be more prone to seizures, not with a complete lack of suppression of withdrawal, and perhaps still a lowered seizure threshold, not as severe as you would without the chloral hydrate if it were in place of the nitrazepam, but still to some extent. What extent, I don't know; chloral hydrate is an antiquated drug these days, not often used, so it might not be easy to come by people who have attempted using it alone to try to detox from or substitute temporarily for a benzo.

You'll definitely get less effect if you are benzo tolerant/dependent for a given dose, both work at least partially, as GABAa positive modulators, although the pharmacology of alcohols and similar drugs is rather complex and not completely understood fully. Not sure how well the pharmacology at the biochemical level is understood in the case of chloral hydrate.

Also, be aware that it leaves camphoraceous burps behind, and it can be hard on the stomach, so taking any dose with some gaviscon or other antacid is a wise move. Also, I'm under the impression that such halogenated compounds as this are not all that easy on the liver, so long-term use should be avoided, also, aldehydes are rather hard on the body generally, compared to alcohols or ketones.

Unless you find someone who is your genetic twin, has roughly the same current health-status and is on the exact same medicine regime as you - and fuck, even then - there's no sure things - no one is going to be able to tell you how you are going to react to 5ml of this stuff or 100ml of this stuff.

Like all drugs, presumably it will follow the general rule of being able to add more, but not being able to take-away what you've already had.

So, you know - just like in every other similar, drug-related situation - start out small, slowly add more. Don't over do it because you can't undo it.

I used 500mg and I got only 3000mg left and I did not feel anything But I do have A Large Benzo tolerance right now So I plan to try And use only 1MG Clonazepam Daily for awhile And then I Am going to try using 1000MG next time. I do not suppose anyone could possibly find any Information to make some degree of an educational guess as to an Equivalent Dose of Chloral Hydrate Vs. Benzo Dose?

1.5 was about the peak dose I recall as being prescribed in some old medical textbooks, give or take. But before you take that as advice, they also suggest mercury salts for teething babies, along with things like nitric acid for application to piles, and things were still at the stage where laudanum, lead, arsenic, antimony, cyanide and a fair selection of some of the nastier plants we have in britain, such as hemlock, aconite, false hellebore (Veratrum, extremely poisonous) for example were in medical use, and we were still using things like thallium salts, white phosphorus as rat poison.

Well I consumed 500MG without any Effects And that is the Prescribed Dose though. I can get more of it But it is rare shit And not cheap So what is the MAXIMUM Dose increase from 500MG I can use without it being a danger since i assume a jump from 500 to 1000mg could have unforeseen result.

As for Chloral Hydrate not completely stopping withdrawal can I just use 1MG Clonazepam Like 6-12 Hours before I use it.

If Chloral Hydrate is basically the same thing as Alcohol then won't the Benzodiazepin in My system Potentiate it even AFTER the Effects wear off. I know for A Fact that even when the Active Half-Life of Long-Acting Benzos wear off it will Increase the Effects of Drinking Alcohol. An Example such as when it has been 24 Hours after A Dose Of Clonazepam Or any Long-Acting Benzo it will drastically Increase the Potency of the Alcohol.

So wouldn't it drastically Increase the Potency of Chloral Hydrate the same way it does with Alcohol. I need to know if it's Not possible for Me to use this Safely I need to know since I would rather be Safe And take the cash loss than Die trying to find the right Therapeutic Dose.

I mean THERE HAS to be some more recent Research/Information done on Chloral Hydrate especially since it is being Prescribed at 500MG Per Night for Insomnia to someone to this very day.

Is it possible to Increase My Dose Higher than 100MG Increase Per Dose Used before it becomes potentially Increased to A Lethal Amount?

Last edited:
I'm not about to try and reccomend dosages safe to mix with alcohol, it'd not be right on my part.

This, I will say though, 500mg chloral hydrate on it's own is a medicinal dosage as a sedative, sleep aid. It is not a recreational dosage.]

Chloral is AFAIK metabolized to trichloroethanol, and then to trichloroacetaldehyde, and subsequently trichloroacetic acid. Similar to the metabolic fate of alcohol.

I'd not drink on it, not more than a beer or two. And really, honestly, unless you are looking to try it recreationally a few times, then I'd find a better medicine, if you are using it medicinally. Chloral hydrate is antiquated stuff, they were using it in the 1700s, when they were still giving teething babies calomel (mercurous chloride, Hg2Cl2), using arsenic, mercury, antimony, lead, prussic acid (old term for hydrogen cyanide in aqueous solution), Veratrum (false hellebores, a half gram piece of stem could kill a man if taken internally) and Aconitum (monkshood, wolfbane, so poisonous that merely holding the plant without gloves for too long, could and HAS caused people to experience shooting pains in the chest, up the arms, as it affects their heart), hemlock, all manner of noxious things.

Chloral hydrate is not good for the liver, and if you're gonna use a sedative long term, or often, then don't make it this one.

And pricy? fucking easy to make via chlorinating ethanol. Someone is ripping you off.

Chloral hydrate is technically an alcohol anlogue, it will have the same effects on benzos and opioids as ethanol will.

It's not very useful in this day and age.

Chloral hydrate is a prodrug for Trichlorethanol and acts by enhancing GABAergic transmission (most likely same as benzos)
So Chloralhydrate and benzos should work synergistically increasing risks of respiratory depression (and there's most likely some cross tolerance)
The problem is that tolerance developes rapidely, it irritates mucous membranes and can lead to gastritis, it may be a mutagenic and it can lead to sensitization of the heart muscle to catecholamines and may cause torsade de pointes (a type of arrhythmia, potentially lethal), because of that it's rarely used these days.
The dosage I could find is 500- 1000 mg for sleeping problems with a maximum daily dosage of 2 g
https://www.who.int/ipcs/publications/cicad/en/cicad25.pdf?ua=1 (if you want more infos on the drug check out this link)
A potentially lifethreatening oral dose for humans is approximately 10 g
(143 mg/kg body weight), although death has been
reported from as little as 4 g, and some individuals have
survived ingesting 30 g or more

Last edited:
If Chloral Hydrate is basically the same thing as Alcohol then won't the Benzodiazepin in My system Potentiate it even AFTER the Effects wear off. I know for A Fact that even when the Active Half-Life of Long-Acting Benzos wear off it will Increase the Effects of Drinking Alcohol. An Example such as when it has been 24 Hours after A Dose Of Clonazepam Or any Long-Acting Benzo it will drastically Increase the Potency of the Alcohol.

Technically long-acting benzos haven't "worn off" 24 hours after someone's last dose; yes, you might not "feel" it, but there's still a massive amount present in your system, since benzodiazepines tend to accumulate in your fatty tissues.

But yes, chloral hydrate is very similar to alcohol in its mechanism of action, and as such it will be greatly potentiated by the effects of benzodiazepines and other downers.

So wouldn't it drastically Increase the Potency of Chloral Hydrate the same way it does with Alcohol. I need to know if it's Not possible for Me to use this Safely I need to know since I would rather be Safe And take the cash loss than Die trying to find the right Therapeutic Dose.

Compared to benzodiazepines, chloral hydrate is an incredibly unsafe drug. Its narrow therapeutic range and high organotoxicity already make it unsafe to use on its own, but when mixed with methadone, baclofen, gabapentin AND a relatively high dose of long-lasting benzos, I would seriously advise against taking it, even if you're not looking to get high on it.

Technically long-acting benzos haven't "worn off" 24 hours after someone's last dose; yes, you might not "feel" it, but there's still a massive amount present in your system, since benzodiazepines tend to accumulate in your fatty tissues.

But yes, chloral hydrate is very similar to alcohol in its mechanism of action, and as such it will be greatly potentiated by the effects of benzodiazepines and other downers.

Compared to benzodiazepines, chloral hydrate is an incredibly unsafe drug. Its narrow therapeutic range and high organotoxicity already make it unsafe to use on its own, but when mixed with methadone, baclofen, gabapentin AND a relatively high dose of long-lasting benzos, I would seriously advise against taking it, even if you're not looking to get high on it.

**Face Palms** Thank You I have come to the same to conclusion And that was MY ENTIRE POINT even after 24 Hours once I use My Clonazepam it will cause the Respiratory Depression/Effects causing the Chloral Hydrate to be Stronger.

I have used 500MG of it Am I at risk for any problems because now that I think back on the time frame of things, My Heart issues I been having did occur right after I used 500MG of the Chloral Hydrate

Thank You Hodor AND kleinerkiffer GOD BLESS you both because if you both did not Reply I possibly would just Risked using it on A "Dark Mindset type of Day"

I don't know if it is the way I type My posts or some but what ever I guess since I got My answers. My conclusion would be that it's better to be safe then dead and putrefying in my bed.

To be clear I Am assuming it is the Methadone that is dangerous since I could just switch to Xanax for long enough that the Clonazepam stops working And then not use it the Day of Dosing the Chloral Hydrate after I quit the Methadone COMPLETELY 100% it should be Safe to use if I ditch the Methadone COMPLETELY And for long enough that it is totally out of My System. Of course I would not use any of the GABAPentin And Baclofen with it?

It is A pink or purple looking syrup that is Prescription Form it should stay Good for Years right?

Last edited: