Chiropractors

Yeah I mean it seems the science on it is not really confirmed or denied.

it certainly helped with neck pain I was having. And like it does make sense that bones ought to be aligned and what not, especially when treating athletes

plus I think DO schools are bit less competitive than MD, and you get the same education
The big advantage I see to applying to a DO school is how your undergrad GPA is calculated. At an MD school, every class attempted is included in your GPA. Even if you retook the class and did better, it would just be 2 grades in the mix. At DO schools, your last earned grade for a class is what's used. So typically at an MD school, your GPA they see will be less than what's on your transcripts, while at DO schools it should match if a "retake-replace" policy exists at your school.
Funny enough, before the merge of the residency programs, it was actually better to be a DO. Before the merge, MDs could only pursue MD residencies while DOs could pursue both MD and DO only residencies.

The big advantage I see to applying to a DO school is how your undergrad GPA is calculated. At an MD school, every class attempted is included in your GPA. Even if you retook the class and did better, it would just be 2 grades in the mix. At DO schools, your last earned grade for a class is what's used. So typically at an MD school, your GPA they see will be less than what's on your transcripts, while at DO schools it should match if a "retake-replace" policy exists at your school.
Funny enough, before the merge of the residency programs, it was actually better to be a DO. Before the merge, MDs could only pursue MD residencies while DOs could pursue both MD and DO only residencies.
Hmm that’s really nice about the gpa thing.

I am curious to see more research done on osteopathic manipulation. i think dismissing it as quackery (as is often don) is a bit harsh. MDs just love to prescribe too much, they can’t fathom any other approach :)

Yeah be careful. I had a major neck issue that seemed to get better after some sessions only for one nasty session to leave me in agony for over 2 years.

Still cant move my neck properly

MD and Do, what are you talking about at least take the time to explain a shortening that is no known.

But back to the Aikido. This Dojo, that was an official rectified school. Had the same warming up and cooling down a manual therapist would use. But better.

Yeah be careful. I had a major neck issue that seemed to get better after some sessions only for one nasty session to leave me in agony for over 2 years.

Still cant move my neck properly

Yikes, what happened, was this after he "adjusted" your neck?

I'm calling tomorrow to try to get out of the package deal i bought. This is easily the dumbest thing ive done in a while but in my defense I was in severe pain and desperate for anything that might provide relief. That, and i thought there was physical therapy involved, which there isn't, just "adjustments" (joint cracking) and traction.

Hmm that’s really nice about the gpa thing.

I am curious to see more research done on osteopathic manipulation. i think dismissing it as quackery (as is often don) is a bit harsh. MDs just love to prescribe too much, they can’t fathom any other approach :)
I think OMT also relies heavily on who teaches the student as well. Like in some approaches it may be closer to massage therapy with very little actual evidence to back it, but a more experienced DO may have found better applications such as using it to treat impingements like what is done in physical therapy. I see it as another tool in the arsenal of treatment options for a physician that is minimally invasive

I'm calling tomorrow to try to get out of the package deal i bought. This is easily the dumbest thing ive done in a while but in my defense I was in severe pain and desperate for anything that might provide relief. That, and i thought there was physical therapy involved, which there isn't, just "adjustments" (joint cracking) and traction.
It happens man. That's how the industry partially works is finding people in desperate times looking for relief. Now you know better so you can do better in the future.

but a more experienced DO may have found better applications such as using it to treat impingements like what is done in physical therapy. I see it as another tool in the arsenal of treatment options for a physician that is minimally invasive
that has been the cause of most of my injuries. Dealing with it in my right foot as we speak.

and yeah that last sentence was spot on, it’s another tool in the arsenal

Yeah i will say that my posture has been pretty bad over the years which caused this.

When he adjusted my back i felt some major relief in my shoulders where my main issues stemmed from with poor posture and computer rsi.

I noticed that the pain began to move from my shoulder area into my neck.

He tried some adjustment on my neck. It felt horrible. I remember coming out feeling in pain and felt sick.

Never went back.

Not been the same since. Although my posture is terrible and my issue was kind of already there.

Just be careful and dyor before booking things.

I swear it felt great the times it went right.

I need to get my neck looked at privately

MD and Do, what are you talking about at least take the time to explain a shortening that is no known.

But back to the Aikido. This Dojo, that was an official rectified school. Had the same warming up and cooling down a manual therapist would use. But better.

They're US'isms mate.

DO = Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
OMT = Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment
MD = Medical Doctor (UK = GP/GMP)
Tylenol = Paracetamol ;)

OT: I have Ehlers-Danlos, so I wouldn't touch a chiropractor with a barge pole. Osteopathic treatment has been OKish for me on a few occasions over the years, especially for identifying things I might not have considered or noticed myself. My preference is specific strengthening exercises for most physical issues/injuries though, and good quality sports/deep tissue massage/rehab.

They're US'isms mate.

DO = Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
OMT = Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment
MD = Medical Doctor (UK = GP/GMP)
Tylenol = Paracetamol ;)

OT: I have Ehlers-Danlos, so I wouldn't touch a chiropractor with a barge pole. Osteopathic treatment has been OKish for me on a few occasions over the years, especially for identifying things I might not have considered or noticed myself. My preference is specific strengthening exercises for most physical issues/injuries though, and good quality sports/deep tissue massage/rehab.
When I found out about what osteopathy is across the pond, it blew my mind that it's even allowed to exist. Then I remembered that in certain US states, naturopath "doctors" are allowed to operate as real doctors to a degree

When I found out about what osteopathy is across the pond, it blew my mind that it's even allowed to exist. Then I remembered that in certain US states, naturopath "doctors" are allowed to operate as real doctors to a degree

I don't have a problem with our osteopaths. Training takes a long time and they have to be registered with the GOC to practice. I used to go along to one of the larger colleges in London for weekly free treatments while they were training, but you can access them for free via the NHS or pay privately.

I don't have a problem with our osteopaths. Training takes a long time and they have to be registered with the GOC to practice. I used to go along to one of the larger colleges in London for weekly free treatments while they were training, but you can access them for free via the NHS or pay privately.
Maybe yours are different in the UK. I was reading about EU osteopaths I believe it was and saw some rather.... Interesting things like homeopathic remedies and supplements and stuff. Of course "bad apples" are the ones who make the news and normal ones are left to obscurity so I'm sure milage varies.

Reactions: CFC
Osteopaths don’t practice surgery. Only difference between do and md.

Osteopaths don’t practice surgery. Only difference between do and md.
Not true. DOs can do anything an MD does here in the states. They have the same residency programs and fellowships available to them. Previously before the merger of the residencies, there were DO only residencies while DOs could do both DO and MD residencies.

I had a chiropractor as a teenager who also worked on my mother beforehand. I was oblivious to the complicated nature of using them, but the results I remember getting back then were second to none. I had slammed my tailbone and ass so many times on pavement and rails trying to skateboard and do handrails etc. She fixed my entire lower back over a period of 18-20 months. I haven't had issues since and that was when I was 15-16 and I'm 29 now.

She wasn't one that was doing fancy cracks from my memory. I don't think I even got the cliche neck adjustment. She just worked on my lower back and hips. One thing to note is that she was an MD in something beforehand. I'm not entirely sure what led her to the career position.

I had a chiropractor as a teenager who also worked on my mother beforehand. I was oblivious to the complicated nature of using them, but the results I remember getting back then were second to none. I had slammed my tailbone and ass so many times on pavement and rails trying to skateboard and do handrails etc. She fixed my entire lower back over a period of 18-20 months. I haven't had issues since and that was when I was 15-16 and I'm 29 now.

She wasn't one that was doing fancy cracks from my memory. I don't think I even got the cliche neck adjustment. She just worked on my lower back and hips. One thing to note is that she was an MD in something beforehand. I'm not entirely sure what led her to the career position.
There are some good ones out there who stay within their scope of expertise. I've met a couple whom I asked the question "how can you tell the bad ones from the good ones" and they both said:
-If they try to set you up with a package deal
-Make unrealistic claims (they were guest speakers in one of my uni classes so we kinda know what would be deemed unrealistic)
-don't work with a treatment team of other health care professionals
-push supplements and other implements
One had previously did their undergrad in athletic training, the other had clinical experience as well in a more traditional health care setting. Both had offices that worked alongside physical therapists, medical doctors, and had relationships with registered dieticians among others for their "team" to establish a holistic approach to treatment.

Stay away from chiropractors.

I ended up with a whip lash reaction after one 'adjusted me neck' without warming up the neck muscles first.
That story contains a load of f fucking words.
A few people have died after a chiro 'adjusted' them...

I spend a few grand on one of them.

They're too violent in their adjustments.

A good and honest osteopath is far better.

I think most of them are scam artists who are only interested in you going back to them.... think about it.

People who say chiro's and osteopaths are charlatans do not understand chronic back pain. The do alleviate it for a bit.
The basic principle behind it works, yes charlatans are about.

I loved the naprapath in Mora.