Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

China sentences second Canadian to death

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
China sentences second Canadian to death
BBC
April 30th, 2019

A court in China has sentenced a Canadian citizen to death for producing and trafficking methamphetamine.

Fan Wei is the second Canadian to be sentenced to death this year. Ten others, including five foreigners, were also sentenced on Tuesday.

Relations between Canada and China have been tense since the December arrest of a Huawei executive in Vancouver.

Canada has accused Beijing of arbitrarily applying the death penalty, and have requested clemency for Mr Fan.

In January, another Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, had a 15-year jail term increased to a death sentence - prompting condemnation from Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Read the full story here.

The best evidence prohibition doesn't work. People risking execution for profit

The best evidence prohibition doesn't work. People risking execution for profit

Hell, look at the Philippines with Duarte killing not just dealers but users as well.

That's just the first article that came up but 12,000 people murdered? That is an actual legitimate drug war. Of course many of those 12,000 are likely people Duarte or his officers dislike, so they just kill them and throw drugs on them. But I bet drug use has dropped there, I know I'd be too scared to use there. Though still it hasn't stopped it, addiction is too powerful. And young people tend to think they're invincible, and many live in such crappy situations where the risk of getting murdered by the government is worth the risk of drug use.

Back to the the OP though, that is seriously f'ed up. The first guy had already been sentenced to 15 years, then China and Canada get in a tiff so they up it to the death penalty? What a helpless situation that guy is in. Literally being given the death penalty over international disputes between his country, and the country he was arrested in. I hope Canada can come up with some leverage to save them both without just giving into China's desires.

I admire China for coming a long way as it pertains to the nation's technological advancements and infrastructure development. The Three Gorges Dam in particular stands out as remarkable. Be that as it may, they still have a long fucking way to go when it comes to mind altering substances. The disparities present are nothing short of shameful and embarrassing.