Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

China sentences 4th Canadian to death on drug charges in 2 years

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
China sentences 4th Canadian to death on drug charges in 2 years
CBC
August 7th, 2020
China has sentenced a fourth Canadian citizen to death on drug charges in less than two years following a sharp downturn in relations over the arrest of an executive of Chinese tech giant Huawei.

Ye Jianhui was sentenced Friday by the Foshan Municipal Intermediate Court in the southern province of Guangdong. Ye had been found guilty of manufacturing and transporting drugs, the court said in a brief statement.

Another suspect in the case was also given the death penalty and four others sentenced to between seven years and life in prison. Death sentences are automatically referred to China's highest court for review.

Ties between Canada and China have soured over Canada's late 2018 arrest of Meng Wanzhou, a company executive and the daughter of Huawei's founder, at Vancouver's airport in at the request of the U.S., which wants her extradited to face fraud charges over the company's dealings with Iran.

Her arrest angered Beijing, which calls it a political move aimed at constraining China's rise as a global technology power.
Read the full story here.

Horrific. I really have no words. This sucks. The Chinese Communist Party is a barbaric anachronism that cannot survive the march of human progress... but it's doing it's best to leave a trail of suffering in it's wake.

More and more I think China's rise as a global technological superpower does need to be constrained... shit like this proves it although obviously there's a whole bunch of other shit I need not mention.

See, at least these executions were for a crime committed.....the detainment of Kovrig and Spavor were because of tantrum diplomacy....now that's the REAL face of the CCP.

Wait, never mind any of this bollocks.....concentration camps in Xinjiang: the real real face of the CCP scum.

Yeah, that was the shit I was thinking of that I thought I'd not mention. I'm not a fan of violent interventions and at this point that's probably not even an option with China. But execution for drug use is an inexcusable moral crime.

I've said it before, I think the West is really putting itself at risk by essentially refusing to participate in the memetic war of ideas that other creeping superpowers continue to wield to their advantage... what's the point in having a relatively free internet if it's controlled by superhuman idiot savant AIs driven solely by the objective to show more targeted adverts, increase clickthough rates with incendiary political headlines and whatnot... what's the point in freedom of speech if everyone is so damn free that no unifying cultural mythos can possibly stand up to the indoctrinated patriotism of the East...I'm not saying the Great Firewall of China is preferable or that people shouldn't be free, but the West IMO have become too comfortable relying on military superiority which is pretty empty since everyone has figured out by now that open military conflict between superpowers would be impossible to contain. Meanwhile, China and Russia tighten their grip on totalitarian systems of government and that other anachronism that is Islamic theocracies continue lumbering bafflingly along day after day....

Something has to give, I'm not sure what the solution is and I hope to god it's not violence. Not meaning to get all political in a thread concerning a monumentally sad tale, but, national law differs significantly on the scale of objective morality as far as such a thing can said to exist at all, and execution for a drug related crime is as inexcusable as the enforced sterilisation and enslavement of the Uighur people, although obviously there is a lot more net suffering cause by the latter.

I have never understood at all the suggestion that "well, they were breaking the law". So are homosexuals in many parts of world just by being alive. The law is itself a moral crime.

All that said... I don't think I would personally dare to touch a psychoactive substance in any of the seriously drug hostile nations on our small watery world... but with a few outlier exceptions I find it very hard to understand how anyone who chooses to do so is doing anything wrong.

It's really sad, man honestly and I wish death upon no one for drug offenses....

but who the fuck goes to a country with known death penalties for drugs and buys 200+kilos of MDMA in the most heavily monitored and controlled country in the world? I mean they have facial recognition cameras on every corner. Of course he stuck out like a sore thumb. Why not just go the NL and get all the molly you want and NOT go to prison for life or die.

Dude had balls of steel...

RIP canadian molly kingpin

. But execution for drug use is an inexcusable moral crime.

I have never understood at all the suggestion that "well, they were breaking the law". So are homosexuals in many parts of world just by being alive. The law is itself a moral crime.

Agreed. I didn't mean to suggest that it was in any way acceptable, only that the CCP's crimes against humanity go much farther than just this lapse in morality.

Deffo had balls of steel but I have to question his reasoning. We have decent levels of MDMA production here in Canada. Not sure why anyone would risk this by trying to import it from China. I guess knowing the right people is as important as always.

edit: Was he importing it into China? That's balls of steel indeed.

It's really sad, man honestly and I wish death upon no one for drug offenses....

but who the fuck goes to a country with known death penalties for drugs and buys 200+kilos of MDMA in the most heavily monitored and controlled country in the world? I mean they have facial recognition cameras on every corner. Of course he stuck out like a sore thumb. Why not just go the NL and get all the molly you want and NOT go to prison for life or die.

That's if he actually did it or was it the ccp just making shit up with a citizen of a country that its fallen out with. Have been saying it for years this stuff about chinas peaceful rise is all bullshit until it became powerful enough. You now have universities in western democracies hiding dissent against the ccp because of fear of losing Chinese students the same with Hollywood. They recently sent warnings to citizens of other countries who voiced anything against hong kong. And shame on middle eastern and other islamic countries who love to voice dissaproval of western nations but are silent on the genocide against the muslims in china

Aren't the death penalties a relatively new thing .. presumably it's some crazy over reaction to the fact that china had become the worlds largest producer of illicit drugs.

It only feels like yesterday .. I'd hear the post drop .. run down the stairs .. and then spend 3 days titrating out the fentanyl to a usable dose and still wind up passed out on the kitchen floor.

Personally I'm kinda glad that ended while I was still alive - but yeah the death penatly shit is way out of line - even with fentanyl you probably didn't kill that many people compared to the average sized business .. and hey wasn't it the glorious leader who left it all legal in the first place (I forget his name .. all I know is that he changes his mind all the fucking time and is probably insane).

Aren't the death penalties a relatively new thing .. presumably it's some crazy over reaction to the fact that china had become the worlds largest producer of illicit drugs.

It only feels like yesterday .. I'd hear the post drop .. run down the stairs .. and then spend 3 days titrating out the fentanyl to a usable dose and still wind up passed out on the kitchen floor.

Personally I'm kinda glad that ended while I was still alive - but yeah the death penatly shit is way out of line - even with fentanyl you probably didn't kill that many people compared to the average sized business .. and hey wasn't it the glorious leader who left it all legal in the first place (I forget his name .. all I know is that he changes his mind all the fucking time and is probably insane).
I think they have had the death penalty for drug smuggling for a while now. Remember watching a journeyman documentry on youtube from the 90s where something like over 30 grams of heroin got the death sentence not sure about the weight part

I wonder if the Canadian authorities cooperate with Chinese authorities in investigating drug crime - swapping intelligence and so forth? When two Australians were executed by Indonesia 2 years ago, it transpired that the Australian Federal Police had tipped off the Indonesian Police and ended up getting 2 Aussies killed.

I wonder if the Canadian authorities cooperate with Chinese authorities in investigating drug crime - swapping intelligence and so forth? When two Australians were executed by Indonesia 2 years ago, it transpired that the Australian Federal Police had tipped off the Indonesian Police and ended up getting 2 Aussies killed.
That's fucked up was that the guys that got caught in Bali. Watched a documentary on them was sad people say they knew the danger but no one should lose their life for smuggling drugs. The top guys never get caught its the bottom of the chain that dies. The Chinese hardly did anything at the beginning to stop the production of fentanyl that killed so many in North America.

They were indeed, at least as recently as last year. However, Canada-CCP relations are pretty rough right now so I wouldn't be surprised if all cooperation has ceased.
That being said, I don't think the RCMP would work with CCP authorities if it were getting people killed. They were more interested in having the CCP shut down Chinese fentanyl supplies.