Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Chems in hydro causing psychoses

Klue

Bluelight Crew
I decided to make a new thread rather than derail another. Thread in question being...

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=294754

A question was raised about the chemicals used in growing hydroponic dope actually being the cause of mental illness rather than dope in general.

Bent Mk2 said:
Its heartening to see some people still grow pop the traditional way. Ask any old Byron pot head and they'll tell you its the new hydro shit that's pumped full of chemicals (and not flushed properly) that's causing all the mental health issues with users at the moment.

A friend of mine is a psyche nurse (and a pot head) and she has said over the last 5-10 years there has been a MASSIVE increase in drug induced psychosis...ever since growers worked out they could grow pot in cupboards instead of the ground.

Funnily enough I am from Byron area and I absolutely totally agree with this. I smoked regularly for five or six years but when I moved out of the area to Brisbane and The Gold Coast became more exposed to hyge.
Did'nt have too many problems in Brisbane but what became apparent was that the chemicals became rather addictive. Moved to Southport on the Gold Coast into a flat where my next door neighbour was a dealer and started smoking at least 1 or 2 grams every day for months.
After a mate had to take me to hospital one night I moved home and was totally crook in the head for at least six months while detoxing.
I specifically remember the taste of hyge and that taste was the chemicals im sure.

Last edited:
Weed is evil... period. My parents are both fucked up from weed, half of my friends are dropkicks - or morons that justify it's use with "it's grown out of the ground"...

as with your argument into hydro vs. natural - i agree to a point, as it coincides with my argument somewhat, all the people who say its grown out of the ground forget to mention that its all grown in some guys botany lab full of chemicals in his shed aswell... heh.

I don't see how growing nutrients could cause psychosis. But stronger weed could.
You have to remember, hydro is stronger than bush, and sdtronger than weed back in the 60s and 70s.

Also, most kids smoke with tobacco, which makes you more addicted to weed, and doing any drug every day all day is bound to cause physical and mental problems.

Back in the 60s and 70's smoking pot daily was basically unheard of says a USYD university professor I recently chatted with, and he smoked joints and did LSD occaisonally back in the day.

If your weed tastes chemical and sparks when lit up, you could be buying hydro that has been oil robbed. Some growers or suppliers will do this with potent marijuana. They use butane to steal oil from the buds through a couple of times and let it dry. They end up getting some very potent hash oil to sell and they can also sell the buds at the usual price.

I agree, Splatt. It sounds like a clear case of hydro generally being more potent than bush to me. It can explain the increased number of psychosis cases, as well as the weed being more addictive.

Growing hydroponically doesn't mean cannabis plants can uptake different chemicals that plants grown in soil can't. That seems to be a common misconception.

I agree with the above- it is the strength of hydroponic vs bush cannabis that causes the problems, as well as the fact that up untill recently, younger people have been using it. Fortunately, the trend for the latter is changing.

I tend to think your typical stoner sees people going crazy off pot and to chooses to ignore the fact that weed isn't so harmless after all. But this wont sit straight, nope these stoners fabricate excuses of "chemicals" in hydro to justify there continuation of smokeing bud. I see it like this, I bet weed sent people to crazy homes before hydro came along.

Plants will only take what they need, if they are exposed to any more nutrients than they need they will quickly get very sick.

I might be wrong but I just don't buy into this whole "weed is stronger now days" crap. It might be a little bit because people have perfected the process, but do you really think people weren't trying to get the most out of there plants 20-30 years ago? Cannabis has been around a lot longer than that. I've smoked stuff thats been grown outdoors in the dirt that's been very potent as well, mind you this was just recently and not in the 60's :)

In the 8 years or so I smoked the "green devil" I also found that hydro would give more of a headfuck than the outdores even though I would get just as high off either. I am now convinced all choof is real bad news.

kapow said:
Plants will only take what they need, if they are exposed to any more nutrients than they need they will quickly get very sick.

I might be wrong but I just don't buy into this whole "weed is stronger now days" crap. It might be a little bit because people have perfected the process, but do you really think people weren't trying to get the most out of there plants 20-30 years ago? Cannabis has been around a lot longer than that. I've smoked stuff thats been grown outdoors in the dirt that's been very potent as well, mind you this was just recently and not in the 60's :)

Not incredibly more potent, but the more mild and natural strains have been killed. Pot was considered a mild drug back then.

The only people who go to psych wards for Cannabis are people who are court ordered, or forced by their parents.

lurkerguy said:
The only people who go to psych wards for Cannabis are people who are court ordered, or forced by their parents.
Not really, cannabis has been shown to bring out schizophrenia in those who are predisposed to the condition.

Losing your job has been shown to bring out schizophrenia in people predisposed to the condition.

"Cannabis makes you crazy, if you are all ready predisposed to being crazy."

What a joke.

This is right back to "Reefer Madness".

Back to square one.

Plenty of original land race strains are still around, and are extremely potent.

Blueberry, Bubblegum, and many other hybrids have been around for decades, and 20% THC herb was available in the 70s.

Not to mention hash.

I think the fact that the same person who is quoted claiming that Cannabis made people go insane, also thinks plants grown with synthetic chemicals make you go insane, speaks for itself.

If that was the case, tobacco would make you totally whacked, because most tobacco is grown with anhydrous ammonia and other industrial strength chemicals that are way more toxic than any hydroponic nutrient.

So is most food for that matter.

Also, the fact that the person thinks growers have just figured out how to grow indoors in the last 5-10 years?

People have been growing indoors for decades.

My local hydroponics shop opened for business in 1972.

Just totally misinformed rhetoric in the entire thread.

Plus you have to factor in all the "[insert drug here] made me do it!" people who try to get off on responsibility for some crazy crime they committed because they smoke herb, do heroin etc.

Last edited:
Daily weed use will make most people change and go a bit whacko, or just become plain annoying, egotistical, dumb, paranoid, know-it-all, delusional etc... Weed isn't good for you. Its your brain on the drug saying to you it is to keep your addiction.

There are medical marijuana users who smoke 5+ pounds of Cannabis a year, and are stock brokers, lawyers you name it.

Half the college students I know smoke cannabis daily.

Plenty of intelligent people use cannabis daily.

Plenty of retards smoke cannabis, same with alcohol, doesn't mean it is the drug that made them that way.

Some people are just naturally assholes.

I have been "addicted" to cannabis for 11 years of daily use, and I know people who have been "addicted" for 20+ years.

We are all successful people.

The only drug that ever caused real serious problems was alcohol.

[EDIT: Those pictures are not relevant, make your point without them please. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
lurkerguy said:
Losing your job has been shown to bring out schizophrenia in people predisposed to the condition.

"Cannabis makes you crazy, if you are all ready predisposed to being crazy."

What a joke.

This is right back to "Reefer Madness".

Back to square one.

Plenty of original land race strains are still around, and are extremely potent.

Blueberry, Bubblegum, and many other hybrids have been around for decades, and 20% THC herb was available in the 70s.

Not to mention hash.

I think the fact that the same person who is quoted claiming that Cannabis made people go insane, also thinks plants grown with synthetic chemicals make you go insane, speaks for itself.

If that was the case, tobacco would make you totally whacked, because most tobacco is grown with anhydrous ammonia and other industrial strength chemicals that are way more toxic than any hydroponic nutrient.

So is most food for that matter.

Also, the fact that the person thinks growers have just figured out how to grow indoors in the last 5-10 years?

People have been growing indoors for decades.

My local hydroponics shop opened for business in 1972.

Just totally misinformed rhetoric in the entire thread.

Plus you have to factor in all the "[insert drug here] made me do it!" people who try to get off on responsibility for some crazy crime they committed because they smoke herb, do heroin etc.

Nail on head.

Bang.

On top of all that, organic cannabis can be extremely potent.

Hydroponics just gives you a slightly faster veg time.

Some of the most potent cannabis I ever smoked was grown indoors in a mix of peat moss, worm castings, and bat guano.

Most outdoors growers use chemical nutrients in their water anyway, so they are actually growing using hydroponic techniques whether they realize it or not.

Outdoor herb is just as likely, if not more likely, to have been grown with synthetic chemicals, because lugging fertile bat guano and worm shit or manure to a remote grow site is not practical.

Even since people grew herb, well for the last several decades anyway, it was more likely to have been grown using chemical salts than manure or some kind of natural method.

Chemical salts i.e. "chems" was the norm for most of the 20th century.

Organic growing has been a niche market for a long time.

Even most tomato growers use miracle grow or peters or some other kind of chemical fertilizer.

Even people in Africa are starting to use chemical fertilizers on their outdoor food crops.

Last edited:
You sound exactly like alot of people of some of the other boards who seem to want to aggressively defend their drug of choice against every tiny criticism, as if you are under some sort of personal attack yourself. You hijacked a thread that was asking a specific question, not whether marijuana is 'good' or 'bad'.

No one here said cannabis users can't be successful or operate functionally. No one is saying that alcohol is not a drug with its fair share of problems.

The so called chemicals that Klue was describing may not be the fertilizers, but things like pest sprays etc. that some large scale growers use on plants. Although I am not sure what kind of mental problems, if any it may cause.

If you read the OP he was obviously talking about chemical nutrients.

As far as pesticides, I won't smoke pesticides in my bud, but even they won't make you go crazy.

Same logic, if pesticides made you go crazy every tobacco smoker would be going crazy because tobacco gets sprayed with pesticide all the time, as do most other crops.

So no, herb grown with chemical fertilizer does not make you go crazy.

lurkerguy said:

That's bullshit. Are you trying to say that cannabis induced psychosis doesn't exist? I don't think you've spent enough time around psych units and seen some of the cases that go through those places.

It's only a tiny minority of people that have any type of psychotic episode from pot, and there's some pretty interesting research showing a genetic component, but those numbers add up. There's plenty of people in psych units because of pot.