Chemical seduction: How ‘love drugs’ may one day help couples save failing relationships

Marriage-Counseling4.jpg
The National Post

Future love drugs are not fairy tale romance potions slipped to the object of your affection: These pharmaceutical concoctions would chemically alter the brain to promote intimacy, feelings of closeness and openness, and would be designed for use in a controlled, couples’ therapy setting.

They’re already being developed and tested in the form of a nasal spray, to send the drugs directly to the brain.

Oxytocin and vasopressin — both hormones secreted by the pituitary gland that play roles in sexual reproduction, social bonding and empathy building — are being studied for the production of love drugs.

Researchers in the early 1990s found oxytocin released into the brains of female prairie voles during sexual activity helped them form a monogamous bond to their sexual partners. Vasopressin appeared to bring the same result in male voles. But when those hormones are blocked, the prairie voles don’t create that bond.

In one study, Swiss researchers showed that nasally inhaled oxytocin can reduce stress levels and promote more positive communication between arguing couples.

There is also evidence from its clinical use in the 1980s that MDMA promoted “enhanced” communication during couples’ therapy.

Australian couples’ therapist Adam Guastella sees it all the time: that “repetitive loop” of talking around the problem at the heart of their marital struggle, anything to avoid facing it head-on.

“Therapists are always waiting for an ‘a-ha’ moment, and we try lots of things to create [it],” said the clinical psychologist and principal research fellow at the University of Sydney’s Brain and Mind Research Institute.

Already an internationally recognized researcher for his discovery of how oxytocin, a neurologically-driven hormone, promotes emotional understanding in youth with autism, Dr. Guastella had read with interest about oxytocin’s recent branding as a “love hormone” and, likely in a few years time, a “love drug” — a future life preserver for relationships on the rocks.

And so he ran a study: Over a three-week period, 40 Australian couples took a hit of oxytocin (or a placebo) through a nasal spray before starting couples’ therapy.

The results aren’t yet published, but the data show that with the help of oxytocin, that repetitive loop breaks — couples recall memories with more emotion and detail, they appear more open to the other person’s perspective, the fractured bond begins to rebuild, Dr. Guastella said.

“If we can make it so that an ‘a-ha’ moment occurs, it’s going to save a lot of heartbreak, a lot of hostility between couples.”

It’s a seductive idea — that somewhere in the near future failing marriages and partnerships can be rescued by manipulating our brains to keep us from falling out of love.

continued at http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...-day-help-couples-save-failing-relationships/

I'm a realist, an idealist and a romantic. This step for science however is not a good one. Too many cons outweigh the pros. Seriously do the math. haha
23536;11459506 said:
I disagree with the pessimism expressed above. It is possible for relationships to be falsely extended, but it is also possible for them to be falsely shortened. How many of them end because of a lack of effective communication? I think couples at least deserve the chance to get to know one another profoundly. MDMA facilitates deep communication and multi-dimensional empathy, and that's a good thing for any couple--even a happy one!

tackyspiral;11461413 said:
i disagree with this..... i think that the use of drugs such as mdma will only serve to create artificial and temporary feelings of "love" if two people really care about each other than they should not need ecstasy to feel those feelings.... believe me i have fallen in love overnight under the influence and sure it was fun but it wasn't real... i guess this feels wrong to me and i realize couples will go through rough patches but i dont believe mdma is the answer and if the only way for a person to connect with their significant other is with mdma than the relationship is probably not worth saving

well now that's where you're very not on the ball. Have you even taken MDMA? At no point in my life have I ever had an experience after I did E, and happened to get with someone the same night, have I ever felt like I was in love with that person. I had love FOR them, like as a friend, but I have never been under teh impression after the comedown it was going somewhere else. That's stupid.

I know it's YMYV, but trust me, I've have good blissful E experiences, and most times I will get with a lass, sometimes a guy, I have been a pretty co-dependent guy all my life until recently, and I have still never experienced what you're talking about.

Anyone who does think that, well, they must have some SERIOUS issues, and I thought mine were bad back in teh day.

When I have done low doses (therapeutic doses, instead of stupid recreational, cuddlepuddle gurnface, eyes rollin in back of head with blissful sensations overload) - around 50-80mg, then all I ever felt was a closeness to everyone I met - the barrier of fear and anxiety was destroyed, and I saw that we were all in the same boat. This was YEARS after I had my first E, but I had always done between 150-500mg every time I had done it. So it makes sense.

The point is not about MDMA anyways (which is extremely useful) - the point is making specific drugs to literally change from disliking someone for a GOOD reason, maybe not disliking but not trusting, to feeling open to them and closer - this WILL be used in a very negative way - business deals, out in a club - drinks or food will get spiked, and people will be manipulated. Try that with MDMA and you will turn your friend into a puddle of love, who isn't even thinking about business, whereas this I'm sure will be so subtle you will think tis a natural feeling - it literally CHANGES YOUR MIND.

^ i wouldnt have written that had i not taken mdma before and yes i ended up having artificial feelings of what felt like "love" at the time.... it didnt lead anywhere good let me say that.... and i have had a couple similar artificial love experiences on opiates as well
and yes communication is key to relationships but unless you are autistic you shouldnt need substances to express your feelings to your sig other

*** oh and roughjack way to call my post with my experiences "stupid" .... perhaps you should try being a vulnerable high emotionally unstable 20 year old girl and see what happens when you get all twisted and think you have something "real" after a great night
* thank god i am not that person anymore

MDNA was raved about when it was introduced by therapist but it also made you feel good. Now its illegal. Anything else would sucum to the same fate, unless it is bad for you and doesn't work, then they'll package it up real nice and mass produce it.

tackyspiral;11467437 said:
^ i wouldnt have written that had i not taken mdma before and yes i ended up having artificial feelings of what felt like "love" at the time.... it didnt lead anywhere good let me say that.... and i have had a couple similar artificial love experiences on opiates as well
and yes communication is key to relationships but unless you are autistic you shouldnt need substances to express your feelings to your sig other

*** oh and roughjack way to call my post with my experiences "stupid" .... perhaps you should try being a vulnerable high emotionally unstable 20 year old girl and see what happens when you get all twisted and think you have something "real" after a great night
* thank god i am not that person anymore

autistic - yeah there must be a lot of autistic people out there. Fuck labels - there are a lot of people out there with emotional and psychological blockages because of poisoned food, water and air. So drugs and energy work are needed, for a lot of people.

I have been a vulnerable high emotionally unstable human being (fucking genders) but I stand by what I said - where do get off calling people who have emotional problems autistic when you're the one who used a drug and didn't use your brain to consider the love you felt might be an illusion, or just your damaged psyche, fullstop?!

We should have love for everyone no matter how much of an ass they might be sometimes, but degrees of love, and more dangerously infatuation need to be recognized.

This drug however - as I have spelled out is bad news....but fuck it, I think you said you agreed with that point anyways, so have a nice day. if you din't have a good smiley one anyways.

B1tO'RoughJack;11459235 said:
how is this possibly good? [...] Best case scenario - they perpetuate romantic relationships that aren't meant to be - there's a reason relationships don't work - they're meant to teach us something, so we can move on, and deal with people better, find people we are closer to NATURALLY.

Exactly. My first thoughts when I read the thread title.

However, I can also see how MDMA could be used in a healthy way, to increase communication between couples. In this way, if two people aren't meant to be, then they will simply discover this all the sooner. But, if they are a good couple, then open communication obviously only helps to strengthen the bond.

National Post said:
There are also reports of ultra-orthodox Jewish groups giving selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors to yeshiva students to weaken their libidos and help them follow the faith’s moral code

You've gotta be kidding me... :|

Ho-Chi-Minh;11455780 said:
I actually wrote a paper on the benefits of psilocybin mushrooms - principally referencing a JH study on the subject from a couple years ago.

You should blog it mate, would be cool to read