• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs Cheaper alternative to modafinil?

They have no actual medical value.

This is plain wrong.
Amphetamine and methamphetamine are both FDA approved medications prescribed for a number of things under a number of brand names.

Levomethamphetamine is for example sold as a decongestant in Vicks inhalers
dextromethamphetamine is used medically for ADHD, narcolepsy and obesity.
Adderall and Dexedrine are some other FDA approved medicines...

They seem to think they have some medicinal value.

I'm interested that your ADHD is responding to Modafinil - I know some who are eagerly waiting to hear if it shows promise on that front. It definitely improves my concentration, but I don't take it for ADHD.

Around here, people living with ADHD really only get prescribed Ritalin and Dexamphetamine, and the latter generally has more of "speedy" feel than the former.

There is some investigation into Modafinil for ADHD happening at the moment, so it might get cheaper for that use in a couple of years.

PS: Microdoses of meth is a terrible idea.
Yeah, doctors seem to love Ritalin, even when you make it clear that you can't tolerate it. :-/

Modafinil has done wonders for my ADHD-PI, although admittedly my case it far from a simple one; I also suffer from MDD (atypical/anergic), social anxiety disorder, and borderline personality disorder (the shame... :( ), and was previously diagnosed with Asperger's back when I was first dxed ADHD, although that diagnosis was recanted. How the hell they could possibly think giving me Ritalin is a good idea in light of that (they even wanted to try Ritalin+Prozac+Abilify at one point, with Seroquel to sleep :| ), I'll never understand, but I digress.

I remember reading that modafinil was shown to be reasonably effective for ADHD some years back, but was rejected by the FDA supposedly due to allergic reactions, though I wonder if lobbying might have been involved there.

modafinil is cheap as shit man. All you need is a quarter of a pill and that amt. cost like 35 cents
If a 50mg dose works for you, then yes. If like me you typically use 600mg, however...

yeah moda is cheaper than coffee. don't be such a cheapskate op
Perhaps if you get all your coffee from Starbucks. Don't be so quick to judge people.
Caffeine itself is only about $5 for 100 pills, stimulant RCs are not much more, and I can get speed pretty cheap, albeit no idea about quality.

damn dude, I get adverse reactions past 50mg.

and to krame: the fda is full of shit, man

How's the fluorinated derivative of modafinil ("flodafinil" or something along those lines)?

Last edited:
There's not very many relatively mild stimulants out there, unfortunately...
It's not even a question of strength, I think. I didn't actually find phenidates any *stronger* than modafinil in terms of causing awareness, and even weaker in other aspects (such as allowing concentration and clear thinking); they just came with a shitload of speediness, body load, and other side effects that I found very difficult to handle and couldn't imagine having to face regularly.

Aha! Something I've read about that actually sounds promising: any experiences with Phenylpiracetam?

It does, for a single dose. I take 400mg in the morning then 200mg later if needed.

Wellbutrin I took for smoking a few years back, gave it a week and went right back to cigarettes (I've since switched to vaping). :|
Adderall I've considered, but I'm worried about having a similar experience to MPH/EPH, since I suffer from anxiety problems. How does it feel? Is it very different to those two? Ephedrine from what I understand is a weak stim, but unfortunately has a terrible reputation and scares me because of its strong adrenergic effects; do you have any experience with it, and how does it compare to Ritalin?

In my experience, low dose adderall or dexedrine (dexedrine is actually better as it is only the d-amphetamine isomer, where as adderall has 25% L-amphetamine isomer as well, which is what causes the physical speedy effects but not the mental ones, aka the ones that are shit! (The physical) is MUCH less anxious then ritalin or ethylphenidate. Ethylphenidate is absolute shit. So is ritalin. Most people find even adderall to be a MUCH more functional stimulant and less anxious stimulant in moderation compared to ritalin.

Some alternatives that are stronger and cheaper than Modafinil are Hydrafinil(Fluorenol) and Flmodafinil(Fluoromodafinil. Flodafinil. CRL-40,940).
Hydrafinil is 1.4 times the strength of Modafinil, but is less speedy, and more subtly mood boosting and wakefulness boosting.
Flmodafinil is 2 to 4 times as strong as Modafinil and it's more in your face than modafinil, but in a smoother way.
Both Flmodafinil and Hydrafinil has less anxiety than modafinil, but is better than modafinil.
Flmodafinil(Fluoromodafinil) is even being studied for ADHD. It's showing greater promise than modafinil.
Both Flmodafinil and Hydrafinil are gentler on the liver than modafinil.
The dose range for Hydrafinil is 50mg to 125mg. The duration is 3 to 5 hours.
The dose range for Flmodafinil is 40mg to 150mg. The average duration is around 9+ hours.
Someone even found a prodrug to modafinil that metabolises into modafinil. It's called Modafthion(Benzhydryl Thioacetamide).
Modafthion is too new though, and is usually only available cheaply in bulk and not in smaller amounts, but the dose range is speculated to be between 100mg to 500mg.
Modafinil has become obsolete in my opinion. Good luck with these super eugeroics! %)

Last edited:
Modafinil is NOT an expensive drug, you just have to shop around.
Don't bother with Cephalon Provigil... generic Modvigil is just as good and it's a fraction of the price.

Caffeinated coffee, 4 cups at the time. And/or OTC Benzedrex (way better than modafinil).

I only know adrafinil, which I've heard is terrible on the liver. What alternatives were you thinking of? I can live with a little speediness (even modafinil gave me a small amount at first), but none of the other effects I got from phenidates, which I found unbearable, and I'd like to still feel like me and not spaced out or "on something".

Well, from my experience ( actually being a novice user of adrafnili) , I can say that theres an absence of any negative side-effects at least for me. Adrafinil is basically what Vyanse is to Adderall. Its litterall the pro-drug of Provigil (modanifil), so yes it could cause problems with increased liver enzymes, HOWEVER, others who take this don't report any problems with the liver, and the phrase is most likely popular because it increases enzyme secreation much like Vyvanse, therefore being recommended that a liver test is doen every 3 months.

Personally, Ive never tried actual Modanifil, but Ive heard that Adrafinil is around 1/3rd the potency. So I take anywhere from 300mg-600mg which is probably equivalent to the normal narcolepsy theraputic dosage converted in the liver. Adrafinil is also available online for pretty cheap in powder form with larger quanties (50g ~ 150 doses for $75). And yes ,compared to my prescribed dose of 40mg Vyvanse with 400mg Adrafinil its a lot smoother and simply feels like I'm fully awake and ready for whatever to get done. Definantly absemt of anxiety or sketchyness which I somtimes experience with Vyvanse.

Aha! Something I've read about that actually sounds promising: any experiences with Phenylpiracetam?
Yeah, I have a little experience with Phenyl P. In my experience, in combo with prescribed lisdexamfetamine, it allows me to be more accurate with my body movements and verbal fluidity (working in a catering kitchen). It seems that after a 7 hour shift after I take my Vyvanse and Phenyl P. (also with oxiractam so that may contribute too), I'll go for a run and near the end a really odd wave of positive self-talk starts to protrude. In my opinion, phenylpiracetam works like oxiractam by improving verbal fluidity, but much more body stimulation (kinda like ephedrine), and a slight mood lift. The only problem I would say is an occassioanl headache -especcially after taking my meds- and a very critical/judgemental attitude to others towards the end. It seems to me atleast, that most Racetams make you feel like you can finish peoples sentences in your head for them and your intuition is enhanced slightly. Thats kind of the level Phenyl P. is on.

Ok, me being a life long ADHD person i have been prescribed everything.

Adderall for ME : Alert,speedy, Depressed, not wanting to talk to anyone, did not feel myself.

Try Vivanse: Its a little more expensive but, it keeps you alert, Focused, but it allows you to become unfocused when there isnt anything to focus on... you can eat on it if you just force your self, its WAY easier then eating on adderall.. and you feel your self... you can talk, it basically just helps you focus and be alert. try it out