Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Channel 9 Sixty Minutes 7.30pm: The ice epidemic

lynnie

Bluelighter
The ice epidemic
As a reporter, you think you have a fair idea of what's going on around the traps. As the father of young children, you hope you'll be wise enough to keep them safe from serious harm. But sometimes, you have your doubts. You meet someone like Blair Richards. As a teenager, she was so beautiful, had so much promise. Then she tried the drug ice and well, you'll see the results on Sunday night. Like a frightening number of young people, Blair thought it was cool, a new kind of party drug. But ice is no joke. It's more dangerous than heroin. It's everywhere. And it's killing

I dont think anyone would disagree that it is a very dangerous drug particularly if its abused.

I didnt have a major problem with the story except that the young girl really wasnt thinking very much about her answers and was appearing to say what she thought he wanted to hear.

It is a problem drug, I have seen the problems at close range with a mate and yes it is very addictive.

I havent seen the sort of problems they suggested but Im not prepared to say it isnt true.

Worse than heroin?...........maybe only in terms of numbers using.........but Im no expert.

To be honest, the worst i have seen in terms of the desperation to get more was without doubt Cocaine............I was shocked at what it did to a mate of mine whom I had previously witnessed as a heroin adict..........had nothing on the Coke for desperateness to get more.

I dont have a problem with the shock tactic reporting used tonight as i hope that it maybe keeps a few more dills away from the drug.

Like most drugs, abuse it and you abuse yourself.

worse than heroin? yes because its readily available and relatively cheap. herion also has a stigma attatched to it where as people are much more complaicent with ice.

I'm dissapointed I missed this, I think Ice is an aweful, addictive drug. I speak from experience, I've gone through meth addiction and it's NOT FUCKING FUN. I've seen this drug destroy countless friends' lives, and yet it's still considered to be a 'party drug' and has relatively no social stigma attached.

I think in terms of side effects, ice is much worse than heroin but I'm not sure if the addiction is as strong. I really dislike ice, but my not a real fan of uppers.

I'm not really disapointed i missed this. Sixty Minutes does not bring the quality reporting. I like my meth and iv'e been able to manage only occasional use for over 6 mmonths now. Nice post maz dan.

IMO it was pretty similar to the four corners story Ice Age, just a 15 minute version

It depends what direction you are coimng from saying ice is more dangerous than herion. If you can afford a heroin addiction and have a reiliable scource and you never ever share equipment and needles it is one of the safest drugs out there, safer than panadol. If you OD on H, a nalzone shot and hour hours of obsveration and you are on you way.

Ice on the other hand is an other story. Its cheap and its every where. People who i know who used to just smoke a cone every now and then have just swapped over to smoking ice. And they have no back teeth and they look like shit.

herion comes from a plant, Ice come from people with less chemisty knowledge than me ( i have very little). It is make with lithiem, sulfuric acid, ani- ammonia and various degrees strenghs of ethidine.24 hours later a batch can be on the streets.

Users are starting to take up bed in hospitals which should be used for people with genuine mental illness NOT self inflected phycosis. And what makes things worse( and makes me very angry) is this peoples friend smuggle drugs into them while the drs and nurse's are trying to get better. Whats the point??? If you can't handle your drugs DON'T TAKE THEM!!!!!

I think this is not the last we we'll hear about this.

did anyone record it or can i download/view it somewhere on the web?

Teddles is on the right track. Also from the medical treatment point of view, heroin OD patients are piece of cake to take care of. Majority of the time they are unconcious and barely breathing. People on ice suffering from psychosis can be unbelievably violent and extremely damaging to themselves and anyone around them. ..mind u, tried ice and still wouldn't touch h. :p Both are bad news IMO.

Did anyone happen to hear the second part of the Ice coverage where the death of the young girl was briefly discussed.

It is very unfortunate that this girl lost her life, but i feel it was unfair to solely blame the ice for her death. In the report her father told how she had been drinking heavily that night before later on some ice was brought out. She as well as some others decided to try and as the story goes final cause of death was determined to be that she had "drowned in her own vomit".

Sounds as if to me that alcohol would have played the larger part in this circumstance.

Why go put this drug under further scrutiny.

As in the case of the first girl who was addicted after trying it for the first time. Yes its a wonderful feeling, but come on people, WHAT ABOUT A BIT OF SELF CONTROL.

DrugsAreGood said:
Did anyone happen to hear the second part of the Ice coverage where the death of the young girl was briefly discussed.

It is very unfortunate that this girl lost her life, but i feel it was unfair to solely blame the ice for her death. In the report her father told how she had been drinking heavily that night before later on some ice was brought out. She as well as some others decided to try and as the story goes final cause of death was determined to be that she had "drowned in her own vomit".

As the father said, what a waste. I would imagine the excessive alcohol consumption would have played a part in her death.

For anybody who missed it on Sunday night 60 minutes have now added the video to their website. It can be found here.

herion comes from a plant, Ice come from people with less chemisty knowledge than me ( i have very little). It is make with lithiem, sulfuric acid, ani- ammonia and various degrees strenghs of ethidine.24 hours later a batch can be on the streets.

Heroin does NOT come directly from the plant. Among other things, the opium poppy contains morphine, codeine and thebaine (used to make oxycodone, buprenorphine etc). Heroin is normally made from morphine or codeine (through morphine intermediate), in a process that's COMPLETELY synthetic, making it little different to methamphetamine in this regard.

In the hands of the inexperienced or uneducated producer, either drug can be expected to contain undesirable side reaction products. The reason that meth is more prevalent (apart from current market demand) is simply due to the ease of obtaining the necessary chemicals. But make no mistake, the chemicals usually employed to turn codeine --> morphine --> heroin are very toxic, arguably more so than those normally employed to make meth. This is regardless of who does the synthesis or where it's performed.

In Australia, very little meth is manufactured using the lithium/ anhydrous ammonia process (known as birch reduction). According to Forensic reports it's nearly always made using chemicals available to certain industries and farming. Incidentally, no-one without a sound knowledge of the processes involved would attempt meth production using the Birch method. If conditions are not spot on, then BANG!! However, the product from Birch reduction is often claimed to be superior in quality, perhaps due most to the required expertise of the chemist.

As for sulphuric acid; it is frequently used to produce HCl gas (in preference to simply adding pool acid). Almost all mdma as well as other HCl salts would be made using HCl gas which was itself made from sulphuric acid.

Disregarding competence of the chemist, the problem with these drugs is not so much with the chemicals used. Sulphuric acid, lithium, ammonia etc etc are all used everyday in the production of pharmaceuticals and even some food stuffs; flavours, sweeteners, colours, etc etc. For example, Unless your vitamin C states "derived from natural sources" then it's undoubtedly been made via the old and trusted Hoffmann-La Roche 5 step process.

The simplified method of Vit C synthesis from glucose goes:

Glucose +H2/catalyst=Sorbitol

Sorbitol + acetobacter suboxydans--> Intermediate 1

Intermediate 1 + Acetone--> Intermediate 2

Intermediate 2 + Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach)-->

Intermediate 3 + HCl/ ethanol--> Ascorbic Acid (Vit C) in >90% yield

Like the chems used in Vit C production and other pharms, foodstuffs etc, it's the purity that differs from those commonly employed in illicit drug production.

So until you see an authorised QC rating for heroin produced in Burma or where-ever, or you have access to analytical equipment, you can never be completely sure of the grade of chemicals that were used.

I'm confused, everywhere I hear people saying that Ice is cheap. Last time I checked it's around the same price as coke, at least here in Melb. That ain't that cheap.

You need a lot less ice than coke per night out (p/no).

1 point of coke isn't going to be much fun, whereas 1 point of ice should be fine if you have yourself under control.

Id say that any coke you find here in Melbourne is incredibly low purity, im estimating 5-10% where as "Ice" is generally much higher purity for a similar price.
So it is a relatively cheap drug