• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Changing Effects After Prolonged Benzo Use

Phil.McKeer

Bluelighter
It used to be, when I tried my first dose of aplrazolam and all the way through just the last couple days, almost all benzos would simply "make me feel tired/put me to sleep" and so I never really considered them recreational, just useful (for instance, to use after a stimulant or psychedelic/MDMA comedown). At this time, diazepam was for some reason the sole euphoric of all benzos for me (I have tried alprazolam, diazepam, clonazepam, temazepam, and etizolam and they all made me tired except diazepam, which gave me a euphoria akin to a high dose of soma {carisoprodol}) complete with the "body drunk" feeling.

Now, at 1.5mgs of xanax (I've tapered down to taking 0.5mgs every few times a week for insomnia so my tolerance should be low-ish right now, making 1.5mgs a triple dose of anything I'd usually take to sleep) I am feeling a euphoria I've never felt on alprazolam. It always made me tired and sleepy, but right now it is highly reminiscent of the quality that made diazepam recreational for me. In addition to utter anxioloysis, I can sleep within minutes if I lie down, am slowed down, but am also euphoric (a somewhat drunken like feeling that someone would get who'd never done any drugs and took a standard dose of soma/carisoprodol).

I very much am loving it and it's a nice unexpected bonus.

But...what's going on? Any ideas why my experience with substances I've of which I've ingested in the "many grams" range of in my entire life is suddenly completely different than what it was?

Edit: I see that this is the opposite of what usually happens (prolonged use results in diminishing returns, higher doses required for lessening effects, etc that people usually get so I'm lucky in that respect. But at the same time I'm worried because I think this may mean my body is becoming accustomed to, and therefore I am liable to withdraw from, alprazolam upon cessation. I know this because when I first using H I wouldn't be able to eat at all, but once I was using it for a year everyday I was able to eat only while high, the change happening around the time I became physically dependent and would suffer w/d upon cessation. I stopped the H with a bupe taper a few months ago btw. Yay me!

Last edited:
Oh, also...I've taken some gabapentin today. I'm going to go through and search on all gabapentin/benzos potentiation/interaction threads, but I thought I'd throw that in there in case there is some cross-potentiation in play here.

Thanks y'all. Be safe out there.

Last edited:
Stagger the Gabapen, one dose an hour, till you feel good. Wait an hour and dose benzo of choice.

I had the same experience when I first started using benzos- had no recreational use or high to speak of. Then after a year or so I found that mixing alprazolam with coffee gave me an excellent buzz, felt like alcohol with none of the negative side effects. I find the most euphoric combination is xanax or diazepam with buprenorphine, but wouldn't recommend combining opiates and benzos or any other central nervous system depressant unless you already have a tolerance to both, and even then be careful and never get carried away (which is easier said than done).

This is turning into a off subject thread a bit, but Gabapentin is best staggered at 45min to an hour. There are Gabapentin Mega Threads on this. Consult the main guide for info on that.

Intresting how benzodiazepines change over time. I'm going through the same thing currently. Intresting thread. I'll try to follow it and contribute, if it develops.