• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe changing doctors

jkmkaye

Bluelighter
Hi all.....So I will attempt to make a long story short.
I went to Pain Mgmt because I was being prescribed Percocet for terrible headaches. After 2 years, of course my tolerance built so they put me on Exalgo (dilaudid time release). Ok, so this is the point where I screwed up. I got a little out of hand running out before my next appointment. So my doctor suggested Suboxone, which I did. But now, the whole reason this process has started is because of the ridiculous headaches I get more days than not, to the point that I cannot hold down a job over the last 2 years. I keep telling my pain mgmt. dr (his aide, I never actually get to see the doc anymore) and they just try saying oh well you have chronic pain. I have tried to tell them I learned my lesson last time and I want the pain killers back to kill the pain. Is that even possible? Or with suboxone on my record am I screwed for forever? And just as a side note I am down to 1mg bupe/day. Thanks. Sorry Mods if I should have put this in the mega thread.

This is an issue you should take up with your doctor... focus on treating the cause of the pain. Opioids aren't necessarily the best treatment for most types of headaches, have you tried triptans or the like?

Doctors are not going to prescribe anything strong while you're on Suboxone, 'cause the Sub blocks the effects of stronger opioids... and if you were using more than your prescribed dose that doesn't exactly give them much reason to switch you back. In general you don't get a second chance with opioids, if you abuse them and you're caught then it's game over forever.

People on the internet can't tell you how your doctor will respond though... but one thing's for sure, if you just blatantly ask for narcotics it doesn't work well.