Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Censorship as social control

strumpet

Bluelighter
India Bans Smoking in Films

Well - it appears that India is banning smoking in films in an effort to slow down cancer.

It concerns me that people think this is a good thing. Where does it end? Do we stop showing people speeding in films in an effort to stop road accidents? Stop showing people sun bathing in an effort to stop the increase in melanomas?

This, to me, is a big brother attitude of censorship and public control of individual morality and freedom. Last I heard, cigarette smoking was actually still legal.

Other people's thoughts? Is this something that the Australian government should pursue?

<3

I doubt this will spread to the extent you're fearing - - - I can't really see them outlawing violence or murder in films, especially in the Western world where it's becoming harder and harder to shock people.

They seem to be trying to stop people being exposed to those things - - - but in my opinion, that's what cesorship [ie: film classifications] are for.
It would make more sense if they attempted to place smoking scenes in movies under a Mature rating so that younger more impressionable youths couldn't be exposed?

they should ban bollywood musicals instead ;) i never thought i could hate an entire genre of film, but i do.

in regards to censorship in australia, it's wrong that around less than ten people (last time i checked) decide what the rest of australians can watch, especially adults.

the classification system has just had a shake up, specifically regarding video games, but i think nothing more has been changed except clearer labeling. the creation of an R rating for video games is something that still has not been addressed judging from the info i found. this is something that should have been introduced long ago. recently several video games rated MA15+ have been banned for violence and sex despite the content being of the variety found commonly in M rated films. if an R rating existed the games could simply be upgraded to that instead of banning outright. the fact that the majority of gamers are in their twenties makes this logical does it not? the public perception needs to get real about it. just like the drugs situation, that "won't somebody please think of the children" rhetoric is a weightless argument.

censorship of films and video games has once again become a hot topic in politics since the christian party Family First achieved success at the last election. their views on censorship are of course being supported by the other christian based political parties who have long held calls for stronger censorship .

MPs see graphic sex scenes
By Katherine Danks
May 26, 2005

Some New South Wales MPs were shown film scenes featuring actual sex today as part of a Christian campaign to maintain a ban on X-rated material.
The Christian Democrats seminar, organised by morals crusader and MP Fred Nile, was in response to a private members Bill recently tabled by Upper House MP Peter Breen to regulate, control and legalise the sale of X-rated films.

Australian Christian Lobby executive chairman Jim Wallace spoke at the seminar at NSW Parliament before MPs were shown a brief screening of R18+ material.

It is believed about eight people attended the seminar, including conservative Liberal MP David Clarke and some MPs' staff members.

Mr Breen – who attended the seminar – said the screening was illegal because the scenes were taken out of context.

"It's scandalous material to be showing it in public, (it's) contrary to the law (and) is a great offence and the penalty is $11,000," Mr Breen said.

"I hope Mr Wallace brings his cheque book along if he intends screening the film."

Mr Nile said MPs were often briefed on legislation and this seminar was no different.

"It's not being put on for fun, it's not entertainment," Mr Nile said.

"People can get the video from shops, and I guess if any member says `Look, I'd like to see that in context' then he can go and get the video."

Before the seminar, Mr Wallace said the film screening would be "as little as we can put on, I think maybe about three minutes".

"I think it's most appropriate that members of parliament see what the laws that they're administering are putting out into society," he said.

Mr Wallace said excerpts from the film Anatomy of Hell – which depicts graphic sex scenes – were shown as an example of an R18+ film.

"Standards have degenerated ... (to the point) that if it's that bad in R+18, what are we going to get in X-rated?" he said.

Mr Breen took an X-rated film to the screening so MPs could understand the difference between it and the R18+ classification, but said he did not try to show it.

He said the difference between the classifications was the screening of genitalia.

The Bill should be passed to make the industry safer and protect the people involved, he said.

^^^

Good points there dude..

Also you gotta consider the power of some corparations in this too. Such as Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart being the place where the largest amount of video games get sold in the united states refuse to sell games with a 'mature R' rating. The result of this was that many game companies themselves have softened the amount of violence/swearing/sex in games.

Stupid Wal-Mart dosent even exist in Australia and their ban has had repurcussions all the way over here...

omg nice thread. i have to write an essay on "censorship as a form of social control". now i can use this. ta :)

In regards to bans on smoking film...it's just as the messiah Sir Arthur C Clarke prophesisied. :D

censorship is fucked. Especially when it's done by people who are fucked up power tripping egomaniacs that think they are clever and look down on you.

I love censorship.

I believe more things we do should be censored.

Censorship Rules!!!

Keep digging DQ I'm sure there's a few more threads you can dig up to further your agenda.

i'm done now

but

i have been going through old threads cos i am reading what i missed and not for any other reason

thanks for your concern though

Dazer said:
....Stupid Wal-Mart dosent even exist in Australia and their ban has had repurcussions all the way over here...

you know I don't think this is right...I think that K-Mart is owned by Wal-Mart....but please correct me if I am wrong.
:)

I don't know..

Whenever I see someone smoking on TV I always feel like one. It's why I find it difficult to watch b&w movies. They got to smoke INSIDE and didn't have strangers walking past muttering, 'what a dirty habit.'

Ahh the good ol' days.

I'm not sure what this has to do with censorship. Just a point I needed to make.

Have to agree with up all night on this, when i see someone smoking on screen i want one too >.> but i dont think they should ban it.
Anarky that was an awesome book to.. it name escapse me cause it 4:30 in the morning ^.^ i love Clarke

i think india just needs to stop making movies
or any form of entertainment whatsoever

i lived in the island kingdom of tonga for three months when i was younger, and in their media they don't allow any kissing at all... violence is ok, but no kissing

it was a frustating 3 months :p

I had a massive argument with a woman at a bus stop because i lit up within 5 metres of her. Well, it was mainly her busting my chops; telling me i'm a "career smoker" (what is that anyway?), saying i smell like an ashtray, i 'look' like the kind of girl that would enjoy smoking, that kind of thing... harsh stuff. Anyway, i let her finish the rant, and then i said to her... "you're an ugly natured person, and the sad thing for you is- at least I can quit smoking".:p

i totally dont get censorship.
im all about if you dont like it dont watch it.
but dont ban other people from watching stuff they enjoy.
stupid government control.

Dont ban smoking in films..

However film makers should think twice before glorifying smoking in films..

they already do that - notice how in older films the good guys are smokers - nowadays it's either the bad guys or no-one at all who smokes?

bah now i need a cigarette...

-=DLouD247=D-