Censored under the guise of moderation

So you've been doing this for 18 years... and also admit that you deserved... lets be even more generous than you're being and say 20% of your infractions....

Given how many infractions you've gotten in total... doesn't that mean that you should just be outright banned by now if not for the staff giving you repeated chances to change your behavior?

if you can show me examples of my telling another member

Like I said in previous posts u deleted and edited your own posts and also my posts.
And that is a fact not just an opinion

Can we keep this discussion about HOW CEPS is moderated? Getting into individual instances and situations is fine if both parties are interested but doing this here is distracting from the topic of how fair the mods are or aren't in the forum today.

They all got cleaned up mate. Around the same time u got the sack.
Like I said in previous posts u deleted and edited your own posts and also my posts.
And that is a fact not just an opinion

Unless the posts were hard deleted (not likely) then the edit history exists....actually, they exist back on the vB site so we can't go back and 'check the record' However, that was how long ago? And is it relevant now to this topic? No. One thing I can set the record straight on is 'Ali getting the sack'. Those that know what happened aren't you. It would be Ali and the staff at the time he chose to step down. You can believe what you wish, but I have no gain in lying to anyone. Lying creates distrust, wastes time, and confuses any communication, I don't waste time that way.

If only we had a conservative Trump supporter running this site...things would be so much better!

That's fucked up. We would never allow racist, misogynistic, deplorables to run this place.

9ebde2e3bc6143381ce047c43f9866b3.jpeg

Maybe try having a moderator from both sides?

That settles it. JGrimez is now king mod of CEPS. Huzzah!
Ok, weak assed attempts at humour side, staff DO try to be fair. One of the biggest requirements for staff (in particular CEPS) is the ability to still express their own opinions, but keep their personal view separate from how the forum is managed and to address topics as fairly as possible. They aren't perfect, they are human, but as a group (along with sr. staff) that is the intent. If it weren't the case, there are number of accounts that would be currently banned and this conversation wouldn't even be entertained. This isn't to say 'shut up and be grateful for having a voice' but to ask 'can you (plural, not MG specifically) stop and recognize the efforts that ARE being made to accommodate conservative views?'

That is quite a bit, but Thank You.

It's nice to see the dynamics, as well.

You left off the sarcasm emoji to let us know that wasn't serious....I'm always serious. Even my jokes are serious.

You might have missed the more constructive posts I made

I saw them, and couldn't improve upon them, so spared everyone my mulitquote paragraph barrage stating as much.

Maybe the mods could ask the poster to modify their own posts if they feel it is getting close to the line, that way the post content is still owned by the poster, rather than the mod who does the editing who may miss to point of what the post was about for whatever reason, perhaps because of not enough time, not following the background or whatever.

That way anything that appears under my handle is mine and on that basis will answer for it, and whilst I appreciate the noble attempt to apply a facade of rational tolerant touchy feely PC human being to my posts by moderating and editing my posts it isn't neccessarily what I wrote or what I meant even if I clumsily articulated what I was saying, and of course it doesn't change the fact I am not rational tolerant logical or PC, just like everybody else, even those that pretend they are.

No hard feelings here

TLB thanks for the replies. That is what I call good moderation. I didn't mean to paint the entire moderation team a certain way it was mostly directed at a few that I've had issues of unfairness with (some of them aren't even mods anymore). I have seen a change in the moderation since my original comeback to CEP and I hope that people have noticed a change in my behavior since then also.

telling other people they are dumb, stupid, sheep, brainwashed, snowflakes, etc. because they have a different opinion - or have looked at an issue and have drawn a different conclusion - is not "truth hurts". recognising the difference between "the truth" and "my opinion" is also important.
Dumb, stupid, snowflakes I can agree are unhelpful insults, but brainwashed is a tough one for me. I would agree if someone said that many Trump supporters were brainwashed by Trump and will support him no matter what. I don't inherently see it as an insult but it can be used in an insulting manner. I hope that mods can view the context and tone in which something is sad.

Lastly, do not assert as fact things which you do not know at all. Specifically, staff are NOT 'take it upon themselves to edit or delete my posts because my posts criticize their personal political ideology.' This is patently, and provably false. You may feel this way, but point of fact this is NOT occurring.
Sure. Normally I do put a disclaimer such as "I believe" or "it seems that" so as to not make it a statement of fact so I will be wary of this. Although I have to say, in the past (not so much recently) I had entire posts removed and I am almost certain it was because I was going after the Clintons in detail. Did I throw something insulting in that post? Possibly, but instead of removing said section, that may have been used as an impetus to remove my entire post (censored). Also I was warned repeatedly if I ever even brought up Clinton's name when it wasn't in the Clinton thread - but this completely ignored when it was actually still relevant enough to the thread being discussed. That doesn't happen anymore thankfully unless it's genuinely off-topic but that was blatant censorship back then.

You, and he, have been encouraged to put the other on ignore. Any member, knowing there is someone that pushes their buttons (intentionally or not), can employ this method to make their time on site more enjoyable, less aggravating. We can't make people be nice, they make that choice for themselves. We simply clean up when they choose to not be nice.
But that is a choice YOU make in reading his posts, and a choice YOU make in how you react or respond. As such, if either break our rules, we will edit-delete-infract as you know. But with the choice to not ignore him, you forfeit the right to complain about his posts. If he, or anyone else, is attacking members, we will police it whether you see it or not.
It's more so his attitude and intentions (he'll feign shock and say how dare I assume his intentions, when they're quite clearly visible based on his actions and methods). His goal is rarely to contribute to a discussion or to espouse his opinion on a matter, it's usually to nitpick and catch people (that counter him politically) out in logical traps (which are sometimes so irrelevant that they border on off-topic). So I actually don't mind that he does this, the problem is that when I give him back this attitude it's seen as insulting or deserving of moderation. I don't think he's ever going to change his ways, I'm not ever going to block him so hopefully this can sort itself out or mods can go easy when they see people having a bit of banter as long as it doesn't cross the line.

I just had another post deleted. It's annoying that we cannot see or review the post that has been deleted. So I don't even know which post it was or what was said.

Is there any way to fix this?

I like that this thread remains open for dialogue. You see, it looks like staff is trying to at least take a closer look at the problem.

Agreed... I think it's good that there can be a dialogue. On some sites this thread wouldn't even be up. I think if there was just a little more transparency and evenness and if people (from both sides) could leave their personal beef at the door things would go smoother. Then again, I don't post very regularly in the politics section anymore so I don't know exactly what's been going on. Just my 2 cents.

Why are my post gone? And now im another member for speaking up?
Power trip much

Actually

I did not tell you nasa is wrong. I told you that YOU were wrong. And you were. Cause guess what. Saying that nasa is looking for antimatter for the purposes of energy production, IS WRONG. :p

NASA never said that, you said that and attributed it to them so you could hide behind "ooh you're saying you know better than nasa" when people explained the flaws.

Actually they are looking for the FUTURE energy. i got it straight from NASA website.
So yes you said you know better when you don't

for people to interact civilly, there needs to be a basic level of respect for difference of opinion.

telling other people they are dumb, stupid, sheep, brainwashed, snowflakes, etc. because they have a different opinion - or have looked at an issue and have drawn a different conclusion - is not "truth hurts". recognising the difference between "the truth" and "my opinion" is also important.

thanks @JessFR .

alasdair

My post got deleted, no surprise but Novartis does exactly what you just typed, calling people stupid. But hey he's a lefty so it's ok. If grimz did that he would be banned.
So much hypocrisy

All these complaints about CEPS is a joke to compared to how that forum was run just a few years ago.

This site has changed A LOT for the better. You guys have it so easy you have NO idea.

I think people just enjoy whining about politics and those complainers like to take out their political frustrations on the mods who are doing a fantastic job btw.

Well, I see posts from many of the posters who were run out of there just a few years ago... Soso, nutty, grimez.

Just bc something is better than it was doesn't mean that it's right or even good.

Certain marginalized minority groups have it better than they did in the 60's should they stop pushing for more equal treatment because it's better than it used to be? Lmao what a joke, these fucking crybabies (insert marginalized group) are.

See?

CEP used to be run extremely well by @Bardeaux, maybe we can continue righting the ship in that direction instead of scoffing at a minority group.

Liquid/JGrimez, here’s the text of your deleted post (I’ll just skip the part where I send you a message and you post it).
For that all-important context, it’s you injecting yourself into a squabble between two other people that has been deleted. Therefore, your post looked out of place, in addition to off-topic, among other things.
so you can wait next time you think about demanding that I answer one of your Q's.

If you want a link to the deleted post, let me know.

You should have left that in. It's not an insult. It also pointed out Alasdairm's hypocrisy. Please refrain from trying to protect him and do not delete such posts in the future.

Any time a post of mine is deleted I would like a link to it via PM if possible so I know what was said.

Agreed... I think it's good that there can be a dialogue. On some sites this thread wouldn't even be up. I think if there was just a little more transparency and evenness and if people (from both sides) could leave their personal beef at the door things would go smoother. Then again, I don't post very regularly in the politics section anymore so I don't know exactly what's been going on. Just my 2 cents.

These type of complaint posts from myself used to receive a quick (imo unacceptable) reply and then the thread was closed. It was very rare that we'd have an open discussion like this.

Progress.

Straight white males have never been a minority group.

You're reaching pretty hard. You should learn to let go.

Straight white males are a minority globally. White people are also soon to be a minority in the USA if the legal/illegal immigration rates continue. Many people and groups are actively cheering and hoping for this. Imagine if they did this in other non-white countries it would be seen as racist. If you don't believe white people can be a marginalised group then you're a racist. If you don't see the entrenched anti-white attitudes and themes that have currently pervaded our society then you're ignorant.

I agree with most of what you're saying. I do want people to get along. I feel the way to do that is through truth. Sometimes the truth hurts. If you are hurt by the truth then you shouldn't be discussing politics. If you think that I personally don't have the truth and am just talking nonsense then there'd be no need to insult me or get upset over my political opinions because they're baseless and shouldn't affect you.

Which is again why I keep coming back to my "bluelight is not a political forum" point. If we were, I'd probably agree with the point you're making here. But our primary purpose is harm reduction. Presumably people don't join bluelight because they want to hear some political truth. They join to get help with substance abuse questions. Some of those people will be likely to have mental health issues. And our purpose is to help them with their substance abuse related issues as best we can. If having a heavy political subforum does harm to that, all I can think is maybe it'd be better if we just didn't.

Now I don't think any of us want to get rid of CEPS... but my point is that true or not, lines have to be drawn to keep political discussions getting out of hand to such a point that people get hurt. If we were a political forum, I'd say that there should be total free speech and if you can't handle it perhaps you shouldn't join in. But that's not our purpose. Politics is just an additional activity included as part of the social community functions of our primary purpose.

It can be a tough call to decide what should be allowed and what shouldn't. But that's ultimately why there's censorship. Because it goes against our mission to permit discussions that could cause psychological harm with no benefit. And personal attacks to individuals, or groups who individuals here are likely to be part of, is what's particularly at risk of doing such harm.

See this here is problematic. Because the truth hurts, it can be perceived as "hate". And in the world that Lefists have created they feel like they are the arbiters of what is considered hate. And the bar is set extremely low and always in their favor. As an obvious examples of our time, hate against whites is generally accepted especially white males.

I don't expect the staff to be perfect all the time just be fair and if an altercation happens then you should penalize/warn the person who instigated it. Because what is considered an "insult" is very subjective.

It is subjective, you're right. And sometimes we make mistakes. But I hope you can understand that sometimes a mod may feel that if somethings potentially harmful, they should err on the side of caution by deleting the post, and then notifying the other mods so it can be discussed as a group. At which point it may get undeleted, or modified and undeleted. But unfortunately the regular bluelighter doesn't see that process. So they could well think that deletion is the final decision.

Sometimes mistakes are made not simply in the course of action, but simply in how it is communicated. But I suspect that's why this thread is still going. To try and bridge the gap and explain more about the staff point of view and help everyone better understand each other.

I have had people accuse me of being hateful in my life. Some people on the far left are very extreme I agree. And yes this can all be very subjective. Which is why the staff tries to come to these choices as a group, and tries to keep a fairly diverse set of views represented by the staff members. And yea sometimes it takes a little time to come to the best course of action.

The idea isn't to censor anything that could possibly be seen as hateful, but to prevent people saying things that are likely to be harmful to some of the people reading them. Because ideally bluelight should be a place where people can come and have their drug issues be the thing they're worrying about... not that they're gay or a jew or something.

You should have left that in. It's not an insult. It also pointed out Alasdairm's hypocrisy. Please refrain from trying to protect him and do not delete such posts in the future.

Any time a post of mine is deleted I would like a link to it via PM if possible so I know what was said.
The entire exchange was deleted; no one was protected. It makes no sense and is completely off topic. You are welcome for the text.

To my knowledge, our software doesn’t allow us to link to a deleted post as it is being deleted. Sorry.