• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Celexa side effects?? Please Help!

Joe1023

Greenlighter
Hi Guys, heres my dilemma... this past month and a half I've been suffering from bad stress and anxiety due to school as well as some other issues. About a month ago I went to the doctors and he prescribed me to Citalopram (Celexa) for anxiety issues. I made the mistake of taking a 10mg tablet a week after that as I felt I was still badly suffering from anxiety. Ever since I took the pill I feel as if I had an adverse reaction to it as I still feel some of the side effects (I took it 3/28, approx 3 weeks ago) My symptoms include; Low libido (Non-Existent, Near impossible to get aroused) Hard to achieve erection, Emotional numbness (Lack of interest, feel like a zombie, no motivation, music sounds dull) Eye floaters (Idk if these are from Celexa but they very well could be) Memory Impairment (Hard time recalling events) as well as Brain fog. I am an 18 year old male by the way. I have also read of people suffering from PSSD (Post SSRI Sexual dysfunction) and some people saying it takes months even years to recover. This scared me half to death. How long will these symptoms last? Are they permanent (I hope to GOD they aren't). What can I do to treat myself?? I am willing to try anything at this point. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Almost all SSRIs cause low sexdrive and difficulty to O. The only work around I've found is to take morning instead of night and skip a day before you think you'll be having sex. Usually have no problems skipping here and there.

Other thing is feeling like a zombie- that lasts a couple of weeks and then passes. I remember feeling really freaked out u it, but it went away..

Don't get eye floaters. My memory already sucks.

Only other mentionable is I findif I miss too many days in a row,i getBAD VIVID nightmares. The kind that you feellike you're in an episode of Dexter.

And this is why the very first thing i say to each and every one of my doctors is i will not, EVER, take their SSRI/MAOI medications. Literally as i'm walking in the door on my first visit i say it while walking in. They have way too many side effects and literally every doctor tries prescribing them for literally every condition. I hate Celexa.

One doctor even tried prescribing it to me for arm pain before! Wtf would that help with arm pain.

Lmao ik right, I'm regretting taking even a SINGLE DOSE! Hoping my side effects will subside with time tho...

I'm on Celexa, and my friends are too. Apple Juice helps with the brain fog, at least for us. Try going down in dosage, but the real danger is hallucinations. Every person I know on Celexa has hallucinated either sights, sounds, or smells. Be careful.

I'm on Celexa as well as a cocktail of other "psych" meds (Bipolar). I'm also a 55 year old widow who chose celibacy when my soulmate died 13 years ago.

ALL SSRIs kill libido and cause ED and difficulty reaching orgasm in males. In most cases, especially in young, otherwise healthy, males, normal functioning returns after a time when one quits taking SSRIs.

I used to briefly take citalopram ("Celexa"). And yeah, I got the same result you did. It's like my dick died. I don't know what else to compare it to other than perhaps consuming a very large amount of alcohol. Hard to achieve an erection? It was damned near impossible.

Luckily I stopped taking that stuff and everything reverted back to normal.

A lot of psych meds will fuck with you in many ways.. You're on a really low dose, does it even help you? If not then ask the doc to change it after a few weeks. Sounds like you are stressing yourself out even more because of these side effects, hope it works out for you.

I would be very surprised if you managed to get any long lasting after effects from such a short time taking it. I have been taking it for a year and half as well as 4 years of taking zoloft and prozac prior to that, and of course by now I have all the tell tale symptoms. However, it took a while for me to develop PSSD, maybe after about 2 years of taking zoloft. I haven't noticed citalopram make the condition worse. Considering the small dose and brief dosing period, it seems unlikely that you would have any permanent side effects. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I wouldn't freak out just yet. Give it some time and see if you're not back to normal within 2 weeks. Definitely don't let anxiety trick you into feeling symptoms that aren't there, because it totally can.