• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Careers related to drugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuasiModo

Bluelighter
Ideally things more interesting than pharmacist.

I want to do something when I'm older that would allow me to partake in, or at least be near to psychoactives. I'm leaning towards psychopharmacology, or whatever Dr Shulgin studied in, but that seems a bit far fetched. I doubt the DEA wants many more people with permission to synthesize their own drugs.

So gimme some careers I might pursue, with or without the ability to synth my own shit. My dream has always been to have a legit career and also sell MDMA/MDA and other phenethylamine/tryptamines in HUGE quantities, much like whoever must supply LSD to the world has going on.

Also, in case I might take the lazy route, what's the career with the least amount of schooling I would need to make my own drugs just for myself?

ITT DRUG CAREERS!:D

Well, for every compound that gets released on the market by Big Pharma, there will be MANY of it's close structural friends that didn't.
So, pick an area related to CNS-active drugs (such as anorectics, for a rough example), and you're pretty much guaranteed to run into plenty that have too much abuse liability to make it to market ;) .
Or you could design legal recreationals. YMMV.

Why aim so low, anyway? Try to learn as much as possible :) , not get by with the minimum, if you'd like to be truly successful/do something cool.

What me and some friends talked about while super high the other day was that if you worked for a pharmaceutical company and you proposed to them a drug similar to MDMA or LSD maybe as something to help people work through their problems in psycho analysis sessions, with a fail safe backup syringe filled with something to totally kill the trip, it would completely change the world's view on psychedelics (if it were managed correctly/marketed correctly). Then again, this may just be me being super stoned and thinking the world might one day see my views as normal..... Shit, the man really gets me down sometimes.

Hooray for weed! And thank you for the motivation, perhaps I will one day be a famous chemist.

Then again, this may just be me being super stoned and thinking the world might one day see my views as normal..... Shit, the man really gets me down sometimes.

Check out MAPS, they've been pushing for use of MDMA and LSD in shrink work, they've had some successes I think in getting studies done and things like that.

QuasiModo said:
What me and some friends talked about while super high the other day was that if you worked for a pharmaceutical company and you proposed to them a drug similar to MDMA or LSD maybe as something to help people work through their problems in psycho analysis sessions, with a fail safe backup syringe filled with something to totally kill the trip, it would completely change the world's view on psychedelics (if it were managed correctly/marketed correctly). Then again, this may just be me being super stoned and thinking the world might one day see my views as normal..... Shit, the man really gets me down sometimes.

Hooray for weed! And thank you for the motivation, perhaps I will one day be a famous chemist.

You must think Big Pharma is stupid. They're not. They'd never let something like that get through. They're not dumb, but they are greedy.

Greedy sort of prevents things like these, things that'd give them a bad name, from every getting used.

Take some organic chemistry classes and see if you even enjoy it, or more importantly, are proficient in the subject...

The idea of creating novel drugs sounds "cool" to many drug users; it doesnt mean they ever can or will ("yea brah, a cross between x and k, that shit would be tight")...

Its more plausible to try to start making mdma type compounds illicitly, but this is not too simple either, you still have to be quite fluent and it is simply not worth the risk of going to jail (to me at least)...

Ya, I say take some chem classes and see what you think. It might not be exactly what you think. And if you want to work on drugs, why would 'go for the least schooling possible' to me it sounds like you are not too serious about it. It is a lot of work if you want to become a 'psychopharmacologist', you will have to get a Phd in pharmacology and then specialize, and that is a LOT of work. And if spending every day working in a lab does not sound fun, then you might be looking at the wrong field.

^ Yeah, you could probably even get some free drugs out of that career, depending on your integrity...

My project supervisor told me after I left the university in an email that i'd need a PhD before I can even start to think about getting funding to do my own research. Even then though, apparently it's difficult due to the level of competition which means theres like more applicants than there are research grants. This is at odds with what careers advice told me, since they said it was possible to get by without a PhD and not to allow myself to feel pressurized into studying something for 3-4 years if I did not feel comfortable with the idea.

The truth in my experience is that it's much easier to do research if you fund it yourself.

The first thing you want to think about is studying chemistry at college and university until you get up to degree level. I studied pure chemistry because I wanted to keep my options open if potential careers prospects opened up in other areas than the pharmaceutical sector. E.g. the petrochemical industry has always appealed to me and they do alot of interesting research such as making catalysts for industrial processes.

If you are 100% sure from the beginning that you want to make drugs for a living, instead of what I did, consider getting a degree with more of a biological spin on it. This wont make alot of difference, but with biochemistry instead of studying modules in physical chemistry and advanced inorganic chemistry, you learn about various biological stuff like DNA and peptides, etc.

Lastly, it is not illegal to buy chemical equipment and laboratory supplies including various chemicals. If you have an idea for an invention you can just persue that yourself and dont actually need funding to begin with. However your budget will be much less than if you work with money that you get from a grant. Some projects might look great theoretically but you quickly realize that you dont have the money or the resources, or the space and the skills, to accomplish the goals that you set yourself.

It's good to have more than one idea to work on. Maybe like half a dozen target molecules which you aim to create. You dont need LOADS of ideas though. Just one invention that passes all the clinical trials will get you enough money to live a comfortable but early retirement.

Regarding illicit stuff, you wont be legally allowed to make those irrespective how many qualifications you have. Even with the companies that have licenses to make controlled substances, they want to know like half your life history to work there and arent a very realistic prospect. You are probably better off forgetting all about that as a career plan. And if you want to do it clandestinely, then you arewasting your time spending too long in college since none of that stuff that they teach you will be relevant to that.

why not just keep drugs a hobby?

It would be best to live a well balanced life and take recreational drugs as an accent to that life, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.