• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Cardioselective vs. general beta blockers

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
I've started bisoprolol some weeks ago because of tachycardia & hypertension, the tachycardia was here for longer but recently realized that venlafaxine gives me bad spikes in blood pressure like 160/100 and BPM 112.. with enough bisoprolol - the dosage is tricky, what on one day is too little, puts me straight into bed the next - the values go down into a healthy range. BUT I've specially selected bisoprolol as a new generation, cardioselective blocker which shouldn't make one tired or at least less than the olders like e.g. propranolol.

Now, as I suffer from anxiety and PTSD related stuff, nightmares too, I was first thinking about propranolol (or any other which enters the brain) but decided against because I'm already fatigued.
Anybody having experiences with both, the older non-selective and the newer cardio-selective blockers and can compare? Is it worth to try one of the olders, to get a more balanced profile, or will it just make me even more tired?

You should probably give the propranolol a shot to see if you can hit two birds with one stone. It never made me fatigued, but it certainly has a more calming effect for me than something like nebivolol, which is far more selective.

BTW nebivolol has a whole bunch of other beneficial effects and I'd choose it over bisoprolol, since it's even more B-1 selective and should target hypertension more effectively due to its nitric-oxide potentiating (vasodilatory) effect and B-3 agonism - have a read.

Indeed strange but propranolol is actually much better for me than bisoprolol. Despite central activity, it doesn't make me tired, doesn't turn the hands and feet cold ... pulse is down to like 68, finally! Also feel pretty relaxed, hope this will continue. The NO potentiating effect of nebivolol sounds good but for now I'll stay with propranolol.