• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Cardiac effects of amphetamine abuse?

psycho-not

Greenlighter
Over the last 2 months or so, I was pretty addicted to adderall, taking around 100 mg a day for the most part of different concoctions of xrs and irs and a really low period of mixing huge amounts of any and every ADHD med I could get my hands on (including vyvanse, Ritalin, concerta, and one other generic brand I can't remember the name of) when I ran out of adderall. More or less, it added up to just under 2 months of around 100ish mg a day of adderall (or around the equivalent amount of the others) until about 2 weeks ago when I had a very powerful psychedelic experience (I pretty much went to heaven- but that's a story for another day) involving a bunch of LSD and dmt. I saw the damage I was going to my body and recognized my poison for what it truly was- a poison. I immediately stopped taking it completely for a little while before pretty much being forced to get a script for it. I know that sounds like BS, but the problem is, when I was still addicted and getting the pills just on the street, I wanted more, so I told my mom about my ADHD (which I legitimately do have pretty severely, and have actually been diagnosed with it) and made an appointment with my doctor to actually finalize the actually getting the prescription part. So the appointment had already been made, and I can't really just tell my mom, "never mind, I was eating them like candy so it's not a good idea" so I went to the appointment and told her all about the ADHD I have, but not that I was abusing them. So I'm getting a script. HOWEVER, it's only 20 mg a day and it's split into 2 10mg irs- which is a much safer, more appropriate, and actually effective dose for treating my ADHD. So I decided I would take exactly what the doctor prescribed me, and never more. Here's the thing- I have to get an EKG tomkrrow to make sure my heart is okay before I get "put on" stimulants. So my question is, what's gonna come up on my EKG tomorrow after I spent so long pumping my body full of amphetamines? I mean I do feel like my heart is a little funky from that whole experience, but I'm no doctor. I'm just wondering what I should expect because if it's going to be a big deal I should probably be prepared to explain the whole amphetamine abuse thing, but that's not exactly ideal case scenario.

An electocardiogram (EKG) looks at the electrical activity of the heart, this will very likely not be abnormal in amphetamine abusers, an echocardiogram is what would look at more structural damage but even this would probably come back normal in 90% of long term (not 2 month) amphetamine abusers.

It's more your brain that you should worry about with amphetamines. Make sure you get lots of sleep.