• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Capital punishment

Gormur

Bluelighter
I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to post this here or in the political forum. I guess it's safe to post here and this thread can be moved later if needed

What's your opinion on sentencing people to death? I just recently started thinking about this practice and I can't support it. I get that with every argument there are explanations for and against such practices. Maybe I don't understand the for argument, but I happen to see negatives of the practice that solidify my opinion. Not to mention that I think killing is bad and should be avoided. My opinion, I know people will kill and I accept nature for what it is. However I don't think murder should be treated casually, so that if one murders then the government steps in to snuff them out. Maybe send them to a labor camp

send them to a labor camp
And/or use them for testing products on instead of innocent monkeys, new shampoo and make up that burns your skin and blinds you lol

Trialing new potentially harmful drugs and medical procedures etc

Scientific research. Trialing to find out LD50s and stuff.

Being killed is kind of punishment yea but not really, especially for pedophiles etc, they should suffer for life instead of just dying

I think it is ethically unjustifiable to give the State the power to commit such an irreversible act. Every arm of the State has been shown to be fallible time and time again. Furthermore the agents of the State have been shown to venal, corrupt, ignorant, vengeful, biased, etc etc time and time again. I can’t see how something to imperfect can be trusted with the final decision on a human life.

Plus capital punishment is essentially vengeance. In the modern world there are a range of other values that a growing number of people value including compassion, forgiveness, and redemption. If you are a Christian it depends a lot on whether you take your cue from the Old Testament or the New.

I believe in fully bringing capital pushiment back for murders rapists pedophiles war criminals. Whenever it by firing squad hanging or the old fashion medieval methods which i most prefer they would use on criminals i.e hanged drawn and quartered for the most horrible crimes and cruxification in the public square as a warning to others if you dear harm other lifeforms especially children you will have the most horrific execution and slow painful death.

The world has gone to fucking PC and soft on people we need to bring back this shit and hold people responsible for their crimes against humanity. Also if somebody hurts animals like those sick fuckers who kill cats and dogs they should also be killed in the most horrific slow painful way.

How and why, in some countries, life doesn't mean life? That's never made sense to me either.
I always thought that was stupid too.
Why say 'life' but its not its like 20yrs or sumin 🤔
if you dear harm other lifeforms especially children you will have the most horrific execution and slow painful death.
Also if somebody hurts animals like those sick fuckers who kill cats and dogs they should also be killed in the most horrific slow painful way.
Yep. Either a slow painful savage death or a lifetime of torture. Preferably the latter imo
If I found somebody doing that to a dog: it would take them ten years to die by my hand! Fuck Fentanyl and/or basic human rights!
Too right. That shit with the firecrackers was next level they deserve to suffer big time id tie them up and stick firecrackers or worse non lethal explosives to their genitals and face every hour of every day, inject them with amps or adrenaline first so they cant pass out from the pain.

Id quite like to torture someone who deserved it, call me sick. Drugs would be one of my main tools for sure 😈💉

I have two problems with the death penalty. The biggest one is that there have been so many cases where innocent people were executed, and now the state has murdered an innocent person. You can't take that back, but you can free an imprisoned person if you come to find out through later evidence that that person was wrongly convicted.

My other problem with it is that life in prison just seems like a more effective deterrent to me, though maybe it isn't. Here's what we should do: get rid of the for-profit prison system, it's sick. Then it won't cost so much to feed and house prisoners. Stop jailing nonviolent criminals with violent criminals. Only jail people who need to be removed from society. Sentence them to prison and hard labor. We have several net gains: free labor, massive reduction in money spent on imprisoning people (no need to fill all these prisons, no more private enterprise charging huge amounts of money per prisoner), and no more jailing nonviolent people for drug crimes and other nonviolent crimes, which often causes them to become hardened criminals who later go on to commit violent crimes, not to mention it's traumatizing people who don't deserve that.

Yes, I made this thread because I was reading that while countries worldwide still have the death penalty only a handful still carry out executions. I think killing people sets a poor example. It goes deeper for me as it reminds me of parents, my own included who use physical punishment to scold their child or in their words teach them a lesson.

I probably wouldn't claim my parents ever abused me but my step-grandfather made me eat soap a few times (held in mouth) and my grandmother hit me with a wooden spoon across the hands and smacked me across the face so hard I almost fell down when I was 8. I didn't deserve any of that. Likewise I don't think anybody deserves to be harmed by another person. It's counterintuitive to me

Interesting question! I think labour camps are also problematic - on the whole, I think punitive justice in general is problematic since it's based on a fairly archaic, even animalistic, like-for-like, vengeance-oriented type thinking, and on the whole appears to be a crude deterrent that it's hard to see would endure in a truly advanced culture, where it's fully recognised that everyone - even those who commit horrific crimes without remorse - is truly a victim of circumstances that began before they were even born.

That said, I understand obviously the natural desire to exact violent retribution on those aforementioned people who commit certain viscerally horrific crimes. More importantly, it's just a fact that certain crimes are incompatible with civilised society. But the number of these crimes has been increasing since the dawn of organised judicial systems, just as the list of behaviours that are compatible with civilised society gets shorter and shorter.

Ultimately I think the desire to commit the kind of crimes that would make almost anyone question themselves about the death penalty should be and eventually will be recognised as a manifestation of serious mental illness - even if it's not one that falls easily into a DSM definition. ie, individuals who show an inclination towards deliberate, calculatedly malicious and cruel actions, regardless of whether they actually qualify as sociopathic, violently psychopathic, whatever, will be considered to be psychologically unwell - as, obviously, they are - and, if necessary, institutionalised indefinitely. Not imprisoned - institutionalised in a humane psychiatric institution.

While they are institutionalised they should be treated with kindness and compassion, no matter the scale of their crimes, and even if they give their caretakers nothing but grief.

That was a very difficult sentence to write and I can feel myself recoiling against it as I imagine the inconceivable suffering caused by certain criminals that I unfortunately know about - but I think it's the most rational approach, ultimately.

This will obviously be a very, very difficult point to get to as a species, for too many reasons to list but obviously, significantly, the aversion of a large proportion of our species to the idea of responding to horrific crimes with compassionate treatment, even if still a lifetime institutionalisation. Again, I can think of plenty of examples of crimes that would give me serious emotional difficulty with this idea, of course, as we all can, I'm sure. But, ultimately, I just don't see that our animalistic impulse to respond to violence with violence is something that can or should survive the continuing evolution of our collective human psychology beyond our brutally violent origins in the untamed natural world - and it's unavoidable that, eventually, if we are to turn our backs on the darker sides of our species, we will need to find a way to be OK with treating even the most righteously hated person with compassion.

Anything else is a half-measure that is not sustainable, and is an acceptance of a polished version of the exact dark tendencies that we are attempting to remove by exacting inhumane or even capital punishments in the first place. This, IMO, is a hypocrisy that cannot survive the continued evolution of the human race - and the human race will ultimately not survive it, if we cannot find a way to get past it.

Do you think Ross ulbricht has a fair sentence? He created Silk Road and got life. Where I say coding is free speech.

Do you think Ross ulbricht has a fair sentence? He created Silk Road and got life. Where I say coding is free speech.
he tried to murder multiple people arrange hitmen to kill many people not on top of making a market place were firearm and drug trafficking was possible. So he got a fair sentence in the eyes of the law.

he tried to murder multiple people arrange hitmen to kill many people not on top of making a market place were firearm and drug trafficking was possible. So he got a fair sentence in the eyes of the law.
Charges for that were dropped and event likely didn't happen

Was gonna comment but Atelier3 and Xorkoth have summed up my response already

Death penalty inhumane and fucked up impulse-wise. imho

What? Are you the Bitcoin police?

he tried to murder multiple people arrange hitmen to kill many people
Was it actually him personally that tried that or did he just create a market where others were able/allowed to offer such services?
I remember the SR days. Good times

Was it actually him personally that tried that or did he just create a market where others were able/allowed to offer such services?
I remember the SR days. Good times
they tried to frame him, it didn't work but no doubt contributed to the overall perception around his case

What? Are you the Bitcoin police?
Maybe he can help me get back the 1.1BTC agora staff (im assuming) exit scammed from me. I'd literally deposited it about 5 minutes before they went offline 'temporarily' because of an apparent flaw in tor.
I paid about £200 for that iirc, worth mad money now ffs
They promised on forums that they would be back with everyones balances intact
That was so long ago now
🙏Please come back🙏

*doesn't hold breath*

Yea alpha bay was shutdown and I had a wallet
Lose much? I dont even want to think about how much profit i would have made if i got that 1.1BTC today lol

Its annoying cuz I was always mega careful never kept coin on site always in electrum but i had JUST transferred it there to buy some stuff, was sat waiting, refreshed the page it was there, clicked on my bookmarked listing to order and bam it was gone

Alot of markets scammed alot of people, most of them were probably run by the same group of people who are mega rich now, cunts

Maybe he can help me get back the 1.1BTC agora staff (im assuming) exit scammed from me. I'd literally deposited it about 5 minutes before they went offline 'temporarily' because of an apparent flaw in tor.
I paid about £200 for that iirc, worth mad money now ffs
They promised on forums that they would be back with everyones balances intact
That was so long ago now
🙏Please come back🙏

*doesn't hold breath*
no problem really, it would only be worth about £29000 now