• TDS Moderators: mafioso | stellablue | Xorkoth
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Can't stop reading Bluelight and other forums

rolodex propaganda

Bluelighter
Seriously, I barely even post but spend hours a day reading on Bluelight, DF, LHG, UGL, etc. I do most of this surfing while sober. I should really be doing homework instead. Any tips?

Aether

Bluelighter
Disconnect your computer from the internet. Do your homework away from your computer. Either one will suffice.

panic in paradise

Bluelighter
yes, i know just what you mean........................
after ripping yourself away for a couple of days, it does become easier, the times i have made it that long it does become much easier. it is addictive, surely, and should be approached as seriously and tactfully...sounds like you as i, simply have an addictive personality, and as so, you could probably find two or three more things to help occupy your self, or, take your time here or where-ever, find a thread or post that strikes you, and contemplate/meditate upon the subject, draw a relation and from there, take your sweet time finding a response.

effie

Bluelight Crew
Wise words from PiP!

I probably spend far too much time on BL, hah.. if I have other things to do, I set myself limits - 15 mins on BL/fb/whatever, an hour doing other things, then 15 mins on it again.. or whatever schedule fits.

It is actually good to take short breaks from homework (not long ones obviously!) and if you allow yourself small bursts, it won't feel like you are denying yourself completely..

This method may not work for everyone though.. sometimes you just need to cut yourself off from it for a few days and remember all the other fun things there are to do with your time, as PiP says. Maybe if you started focussing on the parts of BL that really interest you, you could concentrate on reading and posting there, rather than spending hours browsing through it all..

I think a lot of us on here can relate to your experience. The key is finding some balance <3

Dave

Bluelight Crew
There are browser lockout plugins or software suites available if you feel like you need extra assistance in keeping away from certain places. Chrome nanny is highly recommended, but you need to use Chrome (obviously).

Bojangles69

Bluelighter
Yeh addiction to technology is a legitimate thing I have a serious internet addiction myself and am always trying to watch my use anytime I log into this place. There was one point when I was not working, not doing anything but getting high and surfing this place 16 hours a day. I did that for only a few months and sunk into a terrible depression due to it.

Remember that there is a correlation between time spend online and depression. Lots of studies have been done about this even just a few hours a day can deflate your mood rather significantly. We don't tend to talk a lot about topics like this but I'd imagine a lot more people have this problem too but don't talk about it for w/e reasons. Like some of the long timers on here don't wanna mention names but its almost like they never leave this place for a minute.

The internet was originally developed to enrich our lives not consume our lives. And its too easy to live vicariously through virtual friends, have virtual interactions on here with people, virtual girlfriends even (SOO lol) and before you know it you have no real life whatsoever. What I had to personally do was stop paying my internet bill tbo. I did it for 2 months and did not have internet nor use internet at all for those 60 days. Guess what happened? I wound up getting a job lol. Literally changed my life almost how much my mood improved after those 2 months. Surfing the web is known to trigger both dopamine and endorphins, and scientists have even gone as far as saying it can caused "withdrawals". All I know is for me they were nothing like real drug wds, but the first 2 weeks I was anxious and irritable as fuck. After that I felt free like a bird, and realized how serious my problem was.

Now all I need to do is monitor my daily time spent on here, and try to limit myself to at most 2 hours a day. Anything more than that is just wasting my life away and you will also see me start cursing at mods on here when I've been hanging out too much. Its all about balance and a healthy balance is what you should always strive for.

GordanMilky

Bluelighter
Yeh ive gone through periods in time where i cant stop checking out forums about drugs while sober. It definitely brought on depression. Partly because i missed doing them. Same with any website, logging on daily is a really bad idea.

Fixed5217

Bluelighter
I know what you mean, everytime I used to get bored or crave some sort of high or escape i'd find myself browsing BL or erowid. Now i just check my email for responses to subscribed threads...and undergoing withdrawal am trying to share, learn and give back at the same time...so i've been on a bunch recently.

But the email thing seems to work for me in not wasting time...i do want to answer someone's question if possible or give advice if I have it, and all I have to do is check my email, which i already do frequently[and should!]