• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

cannabis withdrawal

Hey,

no offense! I also got through several Weed-Withdrawal but it's a bit more than insomnia that i already have and sweating during the night.

Sorry for things like that I need no Subutex! Be honest! And I did not laugh about it. I need one joint in the evening to sleep well, I never smoke during the day. That's my ritual before directly going to bed, otherwise I cannot sleep.

JJ

As far as I could tell you two are pretty much on the same page: weed withdrawals exist and, while not "fun," they're definitely minor and the healthiest way to deal with them is to just power through them. No drug replacements or alternatives, just literally let your body readjust to what a sober day feels like. Might take a few days or it might take several weeks, but barring any strange conditions or illnesses and the average pothead will be amazed at their body's ability to bounce back.

The trick is keeping yourself occupied with literally anything other than your consumption habits. Your mind is your own worst enemy when it comes to a long-term weed habit. As long as the average person doesn't focus on how "off" they feel, weed withdrawals are never going to incapacitate them the way that w/d's for much harder drugs often do.

Honestly, though? I'm just happy that people are finally starting to acknowledge that they exist, however minor they might seem.

For me, w/d symptoms typically manifest as an inability to sleep, lack of appetite, an insane increase in sweating, full-body fatigue/sore muscles (likely from not being able to get a decent night's sleep), and the worst? The worst is how out of control my hand tremors get when I stop smoking/vaping. It's nuts to be eating and going for another bite with your spoon or fork only to miss the food and hear that tinktinktinktinktink against the plate, over and over again.

Last edited:
Hey,

no offense! I also got through several Weed-Withdrawal but it's a bit more than insomnia that i already have and sweating during the night.

Sorry for things like that I need no Subutex! Be honest! And I did not laugh about it. I need one joint in the evening to sleep well, I never smoke during the day. That's my ritual before directly going to bed, otherwise I cannot sleep.

JJ

I also went through cannabis withdraw after quitting a 15 year habit. I was smoking about 4 grams a day, from the moment I woke up to the minute I slept. There was no "physical" symptoms other than loss of appetite, which could easily be overcome with strength of mind.

I always needed to smoke a bowl before sleeping, but it was more of a habit than addiction. THC actually lowers sleep quality.

I also went through cannabis withdraw after quitting a 15 year habit. I was smoking about 4 grams a day, from the moment I woke up to the minute I slept. There was no "physical" symptoms other than loss of appetite, which could easily be overcome with strength of mind.

I always needed to smoke a bowl before sleeping, but it was more of a habit than addiction. THC actually lowers sleep quality.

Hey,

THC alone lowers sleep quality - you just have to get the right hybrid strain, because CBD is the cannabinoid that relaxes - if you find YOUR strain it's the best sleep med ever. I just use it for this in the evening. Never during the day and it helps me so much, much better than all the sleeping meds the doctors are giving me.

JJ

Hey,

THC alone lowers sleep quality - you just have to get the right hybrid strain, because CBD is the cannabinoid that relaxes - if you find YOUR strain it's the best sleep med ever. I just use it for this in the evening. Never during the day and it helps me so much, much better than all the sleeping meds the doctors are giving me.

JJ
I'm not denying cannabis is a great sleep tool that is better and less addictive than anything you doctor will give.

But have you ever wondered why you never dream at all when smoking before sleep?... And then when you quit you get overwhelmed with intensely vivid dreams that lasts several weeks?

Made me think twice about what cannabis does to your brain.

Just my 2 cents

Hey,

JJ
You lucky that one joint at night and then you can sleep, little bit jealous there.

OT: yeah withdrawals are real but like mentioned, its mostly in the mind. Finding distraction and keeping busy even if you don't want to, force yourself to do it and reprogram your body to function without it. Try some otc meds for energy and multi vits to help, even though it most properly will cause a placebo effect but better then not having a will to do anything.

You lucky that one joint at night and then you can sleep, little bit jealous there.

OT: yeah withdrawals are real but like mentioned, its mostly in the mind. Finding distraction and keeping busy even if you don't want to, force yourself to do it and reprogram your body to function without it. Try some otc meds for energy and multi vits to help, even though it most properly will cause a placebo effect but better then not having a will to do anything.
If you need to take somthing for weed wd then you better never get hooked on any hard shit

If you need to take somthing for weed wd then you better never get hooked on any hard shit
I didn't take anything when quitting heroin. No bupe/subs, no kratom, no weed not even Imodium.

I usually take CBD when quitting weed.

Everyone is different.

I'm not denying cannabis is a great sleep tool that is better and less addictive than anything you doctor will give.

But have you ever wondered why you never dream at all when smoking before sleep?... And then when you quit you get overwhelmed with intensely vivid dreams that lasts several weeks?

Made me think twice about what cannabis does to your brain.

Just my 2 cents

See, this is one of those ways where the drug effects people differently. For me, weed does absolutely nothing to hinder my dreams. Melatonin makes them surreal, and abstaining from cannabis leaves me unable to remember anything I've dreamt.

It's nuts, man, but it is what it is. Might be a carryover from keeping a dream journal for one of my college psychology classes but I can't call it either way.

[Double-post avoidance edit:

No one needs to take anything for ANY withdrawals, barring alcoholism and severe alprazolam addiction (there might be a few other benzo's on that list as well.)

Withdrawals from literally everything else WILL NOT KILL YOU, they'll just make you feel like shit in varying degrees depending on the drug you're dependent on. Taking a multivitamin or an energy booster is a smart practice for anybody with a poor diet or that finds themselves lacking energy.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get back to baseline a little more quickly than getting there through an all-natural detox.

Last edited:
I dont know much about it aside from some empty feeling and fuzziness I get a bit if ive been blazing regularly. Kinda blah.

Just wanted to note here though that it does effect people and twice I have now been in detox with two seperate guys who both were in for pot. They had that hard of a time with it and both felt like it was ruining their lives one way or another. Depressed too. No wonder though since most of the guys on anything else basically laughed them out of the room because its just weed.

Not typical but it can happen. Ive known some serious potheads Ive wondered how their addictions level is, smoke large constantly.

I wonder if this subject gets downplayed due to the pro pot movement. Could be a bit of propaganda from the good guys that its really so wonderful.

I like it, but hey to each their own. I can definitely see pot be a negative, I have actually.

cannabis has no physical dependency, yet can be strongly psychologically addictive
Inferring from oneself to others is only human, but no necessary correct. Everbody reacts different according to many factors. Withdrawal symptoms are often an inversion of what the drug does when used, as @Kaden_Nite already pointed out. Does cannabis affect one physically and mentally? Sure, so respective rebound effects are to be expected.

I think downplaying, denying or ridiculing potential withdrawl symptoms of whatever kind when stopping cannabis doesn't help anyone. Beside the advice already given, i would recommend: Expect it! I find this makes a significant psychological difference. If you don't have any symptoms, great. If you do, then you at least know/acknowledge them for what they are and that this will pass soon without killing you. Chances are, you won't beat youself up that much this way. Sticking to CBD is also a helpful thing, i find.

On one occasion, my saliva production went berserk on me for a whole day! At noon, i already was so sick of swallowing so much of my own saliva that i started to spit in a cup instead. And i actually had to empty it several times cause it was full. 😜 Also the changes in my dream life were absolutely nuts (but that's worth a seperate story). Had mild versions of the other symptoms already mentioned too. To have experienced this made me rethink my use patterns as well, which i consider a good thing. Now i always have that in the back of my mind and i find it's not that hard to navigate or avoid at all and still make much of this awesome plant.

Inferring from oneself to others is only human, but no necessary correct. Everbody reacts different according to many factors. Withdrawal symptoms are often an inversion of what the drug does when used, as @Kaden_Nite already pointed out. Does cannabis affect one physically and mentally? Sure, so respective rebound effects are to be expected.

I agree... to a point...

After going through severe heroin/fentanyl and benzo withdrawal multiple times I don't care what anyone says. If you can't handle weed withdrawal you are weak minded. I don't give a shit if I offend anyone with this statement.

Oh you feel depressed and don't have an appetite? get over it... go for a fucking jog and force yourself to eat

weed withdrawal is a joke

and this is coming from someone who smoked 15 years every day from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to sleep.

it simply DOES NOT COMPARE to real physical dependence. It's easy to get through compared to real drug withdrawal...

a lot of saliva? have you ever dipped tobacco?

crazy dreams? yeah I had them too...

yes you have to reconsider your daily life patterns and habits.... but again.... this is not comparable to physical dependence to a drug

sorry if I'm coming off as an asshole but its true... weed addiction is 99% psychological

I honestly get offended when potheads complain about withdrawal. They either have no idea what real withdrawal is or they are weak minded pussies.

with all that said I can completely understand the depression and cravings for weed when you run out... I UNDERSTAND THAT! But that is not WITHDRAWAL, it's in your mind! You can overcome it simply with willpower. Try doing that with heroin or benzo withdrawal...... good luck

sorry I'm in a bad mood........ no filter right now

Last edited:
I agree... to a point...

After going through severe heroin/fentanyl and benzo withdrawal multiple times I don't care what anyone says. If you can't handle weed withdrawal you are weak minded. I don't give a shit if I offend anyone with this statement.

Oh you feel depressed and don't have an appetite? get over it... go for a fucking jog and force yourself to eat

weed withdrawal is a joke

and this is coming from someone who smoked 15 years every day from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to sleep.

it simply DOES NOT COMPARE to real physical dependence. It's easy to get through compared to real drug withdrawal...

a lot of saliva? have you ever dipped tobacco?

crazy dreams? yeah I had them too...

yes you have to reconsider your daily life patterns and habits.... but again.... this is not comparable to physical dependence to a drug

sorry if I'm coming off as an asshole but its true... weed addiction is 99% psychological

I honestly get offended when potheads complain about withdrawal. They either have no idea what real withdrawal is or they are weak minded pussies.

with all that said I can completely understand the depression and cravings for weed when you run out... I UNDERSTAND THAT! But that is not WITHDRAWAL, it's in your mind! You can overcome it simply with willpower. Try doing that with heroin or benzo withdrawal...... good luck

sorry I'm in a bad mood........ no filter right now
Well put man, it’s not like we’re trying to shit on people who have a hard time quitting weed, more like just saying , hey this is literally nothing and if you think this is bad you better really think about messing with any other addictive drug”...

Well put man, it’s not like we’re trying to shit on people who have a hard time quitting weed, more like just saying , hey this is literally nothing and if you think this is bad you better really think about messing with any other addictive drug”...
I said in my first statement that I had weed withdrawal I was moody and cant sleep no appetite it is there a mental wd. But compared to all the wd I have had on heroin when your body shakes you are the most tired in your life but can't sleep and projectile shit out your arse and food out your mouth sometimes at the same time on a toilet and bucket in hand brutal. But I don't laugh peoples weed wd because for them its hell we know it nowhere near heroin on the other withdrawals I had of pregabalin. I have one person on here on the pregabalin thread shit on people saying there is no wd on pregabalin but i went through 7 days of mental hell after getting on them. For.pot heads it is a wd and they lucky they never had a real physical wd like heroin or benzos

I said in my first statement that I had weed withdrawal I was moody and cant sleep no appetite it is there a mental wd. But compared to all the wd I have had on heroin when your body shakes you are the most tired in your life but can't sleep and projectile shit out your arse and food out your mouth sometimes at the same time on a toilet and bucket in hand brutal. But I don't laugh peoples weed wd because for them its hell we know it nowhere near heroin on the other withdrawals I had of pregabalin. I have one person on here on the pregabalin thread shit on people saying there is no wd on pregabalin but i went through 7 days of mental hell after getting on them. For.pot heads it is a wd and they lucky they never had a real physical wd like heroin or benzos

Agreed. Everyone has their own hell they go through. I maybe came off a bit strong on my last post, though I do stick to my points.

The psychological withdrawal from weed can be quite strong. I think my point is there is very little to no physical withdrawal. Even after quitting weed I could still get some sleep, albeit not as well for a few days or maybe a week....

Psychological withdrawal can be overcome simply with willpower and determination.

Physical dependence/withdrawal is a completely different story. You can't just "man up" and get over it with mental determination. You could be a fucking elite top 0.1% soldier, the smartest person in the world, the Da Vinci of drug withdrawal and you're still going to suffer. You can't will away physical dependence.

I remember going through a brutal benzo withdrawal. I should have gone to the hospital. I had 3 seizures, was hallucinating wildly, was sweating profusely and basically had a constant panic attack...for 4 days. Lasted longer then that, but those first 4 days were absolute fucking hell. Not something you can overcome by determination itself. Opioid withdrawal is just as evil, but a severe benzo habit is worse and more dangerous.

With all this said I DO sympathize with people who quit weed after a long habit. Been there, done that. However after going through even worse, real physical withdrawals, quitting weed is like setting my alarm clock 30 minutes earlier. It sucks but it's also easy at the same time. If you get my metaphor....

Yo @SnafuInTheVoid, no problem, vent yourself..
Everybody has a different standard concerning suffering, i see that, but that doesn't change the fact that cannabis can provide some physical withdrawal symptoms too for some folks. I care more about facts, then opinions or subjective comparisons.

I'm not here to argue, do as you please, but i think you could do the world a service by being more open regarding e.g. depression. Many people adhere to cannabis to alleviate just that. Having that return plus some "mild" withdrawal symptoms on top, can be devastating. Telling someone in such a situation to just
get over it...
is not exactly helpful, is it? If you don't understand that, you are very lucky for not knowing how crippling major depression can be. It's not coincidental that people choose to kill themself before having to endure this any longer. Maybe food for thoughts.

Or with sleep in general: It doesn't matter if you are a super-trooper or a "weak minded pussy", as you wrote. If you are not able to sleep, the question is not if your are going to break down, the only question is when. And that doesn't even have to be related to cannabis, that's just human. It's a matter of acknowledging each others suffering, and not looking down on it, and i certainly have my blindspots too, ..just saying.

Greetings to you.

PS.: And i wasn't exactly whining about the changes in my dream life, have you noticed? In fact, i found it absolutely stunning! It was like having several lucid trips per night. If i could have that naturally once in a while, i would not mind at all! :love:

I'm not going to dismiss or invalidate what you've been through Snafu, and I'm not going to weigh my experiences up against yours.

Drug addiction is a weakness and there really isn't anything courageous about having had more of it than someone else.

Your attitude towards both drugs and other people is really immature. Project your insecurities somewhere else.

We talk openly about cannabis here. If you don't like it, off you fuck.

Agreed. Everyone has their own hell they go through. I maybe came off a bit strong on my last post, though I do stick to my points.

The psychological withdrawal from weed can be quite strong. I think my point is there is very little to no physical withdrawal. Even after quitting weed I could still get some sleep, albeit not as well for a few days or maybe a week....

Psychological withdrawal can be overcome simply with willpower and determination.

Physical dependence/withdrawal is a completely different story. You can't just "man up" and get over it with mental determination. You could be a fucking elite top 0.1% soldier, the smartest person in the world, the Da Vinci of drug withdrawal and you're still going to suffer. You can't will away physical dependence.

I remember going through a brutal benzo withdrawal. I should have gone to the hospital. I had 3 seizures, was hallucinating wildly, was sweating profusely and basically had a constant panic attack...for 4 days. Lasted longer then that, but those first 4 days were absolute fucking hell. Not something you can overcome by determination itself. Opioid withdrawal is just as evil, but a severe benzo habit is worse and more dangerous.

With all this said I DO sympathize with people who quit weed after a long habit. Been there, done that. However after going through even worse, real physical withdrawals, quitting weed is like setting my alarm clock 30 minutes earlier. It sucks but it's also easy at the same time. If you get my metaphor....
I agree with you my brother a cold turkey wd of heroin after years on it is brutal on mind and body I got scar on the head of walking into an open door because riddled with anxiety so bad. But I only say everyone different if they smoked weed for years there will be a light mental wd but they still feel shit for them not enough to go rehab for or stop your day but walking around pissed of still a wd symptom. I think i might have typed shit because ive done to many pregabs . Weed wd is light but people still have one and for them I say I know you feel shit but it will pass and to my fellow former skag heads i know that heroin wd really hard but potheads do mentally wd just be nice to them i wish i had stuck to pot light wd not having to be shit scared of it

Yo @SnafuInTheVoid, no problem, vent yourself..
Everybody has a different standard concerning suffering, i see that, but that doesn't change the fact that cannabis can provide some physical withdrawal symptoms too for some folks. I care more about facts, then opinions or subjective comparisons.

I'm not here to argue, do as you please, but i think you could do the world a service by being more open regarding e.g. depression. Many people adhere to cannabis to alleviate just that. Having that return plus some "mild" withdrawal symptoms on top, can be devastating. Telling someone in such a situation to just

is not exactly helpful, is it? If you don't understand that, you are very lucky for not knowing how crippling major depression can be. It's not coincidental that people choose to kill themself before having to endure this any longer. Maybe food for thoughts.

Or with sleep in general: It doesn't matter if you are a super-trooper or a "weak minded pussy", as you wrote. If you are not able to sleep, the question is not if your are going to break down, the only question is when. And that doesn't even have to be related to cannabis, that's just human. It's a matter of acknowledging each others suffering, and not looking down on it, and i certainly have my blindspots too, ..just saying.

Greetings to you.

PS.: And i wasn't exactly whining about the changes in my dream life, have you noticed? In fact, i found it absolutely stunning! It was like having several lucid trips per night. If i could have that naturally once in a while, i would not mind at all! :love:

First, I apologize for being an asshole last night, I was pretty lit and my rhetoric can come off as assholeish when I'm like that.

Second, I know exactly what extreme depression looks and feels like. I've had it my entire life. I know what it's like to come off cannabis with extreme, suicidal depression. I've been to the psych ward my fair share of times. Try coming off heroin or benzos with the mental illness we share.

I'm sorry if I sound like an asshole, but if you can't deal with cannabis withdrawal you are, in fact, a weak minded pussy. Please don't take that the wrong way. That's just how I think/talk. It's not a personal insult.

First, I apologize for being an asshole last night, I was pretty lit and my rhetoric can come off as assholeish when I'm like that.

Second, I know exactly what extreme depression looks and feels like. I've had it my entire life. I know what it's like to come off cannabis with extreme, suicidal depression. I've been to the psych ward my fair share of times. Try coming off heroin or benzos with the mental illness we share.

I'm sorry if I sound like an asshole, but if you can't deal with cannabis withdrawal you are, in fact, a weak minded pussy. Please don't take that the wrong way. That's just how I think/talk. It's not a personal insult.
If you don't want to sound like an asshole, try staying on topic and provide personal experience or information on the subject matter. That is unless of course you are talking out of personal experience about being a pussy.

That is unless of course you are talking out of personal experience about being a pussy.
I am. I have certainly been a weak minded little bitch in my life. Not denying it. I'm a little older and a lot harder now. (mentally - I'm no gang banger lol)

Weed was the first withdrawal I ever went through. I thought it was the worst thing ever. The first time I went through heroin withdrawal was in a hospital detox and was medical assisted.

Then I did it cold turkey.

After that, weed is nothing.

But again, sorry for coming off as an asshole. I was drunk and now hungover and pissed because I can't do any drugs because of my upcoming drug test.

Last edited: